advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Anyone with kitties that refuse to squat when they pee? I have a litter box challenge
Posted by: mattkime
Date: July 22, 2021 11:22PM
After putting up with intermittent litter box problems for longer than I'd like to admit, I've started iterating on our setup to improve satisfaction for humans and cats. We have two older cats.

We switched litter which the cats really seem to like and placed a large, standard covered litter box in a central location in our house. This is working well, no accidents yet, but it started to smell bad. When I dumped the litter I noticed that there was a fair amount of cat pee on the joint between the top and the bottom of the box - one of our charming kitties doesn't like to squat when he pees, rather he pees on the side of the box. Its better to have the sides than not but I'm not crazy about cleaning them every week or so.

Any ideas on how to prevent cat pee from collecting on the side of a litter box?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2021 11:31PM by mattkime.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Anyone with kitties that refuse to squat when they pee? I have a litter box challenge
Posted by: bfd
Date: July 23, 2021 12:24AM
Cats squat but often times the pee comes out laterally. With older cats, maybe avoid the use of a "cover". Also make note of whether or not they have trouble getting in or out of the box. They may have some joint pain that makes a full squat difficult. We have boxes that have pretty tall sides - about 10" high. That does a good job of containing the "side spray".

With two cats, you might actually use at least two boxes. Many even suggest one more box than you have cats, but space constraints may make that impossible. Even if you just line up two boxes next to each other, it may help. But I think the big thing would be to ditch the cover altogether.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2021 12:27AM by bfd.
Re: Anyone with kitties that refuse to squat when they pee? I have a litter box challenge
Posted by: wave rider
Date: July 23, 2021 04:02AM
Number of cats + 1 = Optimum number of litter boxes.

=wr=
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: July 23, 2021 04:49AM
We put puppy pee pads under the litter boxes and wash the litter boxes out every other week.
Posted by: rgG
Date: July 23, 2021 06:36AM
I have had a kitties that liked to pee a little higher.
I had to get a higher walled litter box, but not with a lid. A lidded box works well, but you already know the downside.
I also put a wall protector up, like a piece of cardboard or styrofoam.
You could make a plastic insert for the inside of the litter box, out of plastic panels, that you could take out and wash off, when needed. At least this lets the pee run down to the littler and not collect in the joint.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: Fritz
Date: July 23, 2021 06:44AM
spouse just redid the cat toilet.
no top, bigger box, pine litter (horse pellets, discussed here at length).
Wall and floor surrounds with vinyl flooring.

much better result. but we have just one, whos 10 and prefers the outdoors, but not with inclement weather.

There are also higher walled boxed available.
[www.chewy.com]

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: July 23, 2021 07:18AM
.....as guys age, they have the same issue......aim get worse.....and due to prostate.....dribbles....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: rz
Date: July 23, 2021 07:19AM
We also do pee pads under our litter boxes, and I created a sort of wall out of plywood that sits behind the boxes against a wall which we drape a pee pad over. Btw, instead of buying "puppy pads" at the pet store, we buy bed pads at Sam's Club. Same exact thing, but much cheaper.
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: July 23, 2021 09:26AM
Male kitties like to spray.

"Hillbilly at Harvard"
Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Founded in 1948 by Pappy Ben Minnich
Saturdays 9am - 1pm Eastern
WHRB-FM, Cambridge, MA
Streaming at [www.WHRB.org]
Be there!

The HAH weblog: [hillbillyatharvard.wordpress.com]

Topical weblog: [walkingcreekworld.wordpress.com]

On the river in Saxonville.
Date: July 23, 2021 10:02AM
......male adults too......

Posted by: Sarcany
Date: July 23, 2021 10:16AM
Just went thru something like this.

Here's how I fixed it...

1. Got a box with a hinged/flip-top and left it open in the front. This Provided kitty with more room to do a circuit in the box before peeing, and oddly it seems to make the cats feel more secure about using the box than the enclosed box.

2. Scoop more often.

One issue contributing to the problem was that kitty liked to pee in the same spot over and over again and it was too much for the litter to absorb in that one spot. Most of the odor was coming from the one blob of pee.

I was scooping 2-3 times a week. Now it's 3-4 times.

Date: July 23, 2021 11:09AM
....if you buy two scoops, you get one free......

Posted by: Acer
Date: July 23, 2021 02:45PM
We have two cats, was three, with varying approaches to pee.

We gave up on anything with a joint anywhere near the litter line.

Of them is a "Petmate Top Entry Litter Pan" from that penis rocket billionaire guy.

The other is a big 30-gallon Sterlite tote. We leave the lid off, but it's in its own tiny closet in the basement. We would probably cut the lid by 1/3 for an opening if we were to need the lid.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2021 02:45PM by Acer.
Date: July 23, 2021 04:04PM
......A........&......Pee.......??

Posted by: DewGuy
Date: July 23, 2021 08:22PM
We use a Rubbermaid Roughneck tote without the lid (14 gallon size) and Tidy Cats clumping litter. Does the job and eliminates any misses. The "box" sits in the basement next to the open stairs, so, our cat steps off one of the bottom steps into the box. He usually jumps out the other side on to the basement floor, but sometimes gets out on the step side. We started using this setup with our previous cat who went over the side of conventional boxes and wouldn't use a covered one.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 127
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020