advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Okay, here's a dumb TV in a hotel question.
Posted by: wurm
Date: July 23, 2021 08:33PM
We're going away for the weekend. Hampton Inn says it has a LCD TV in the room. Not sure if said TV has a usb port, but if it does...

Could I rip a DVD and load the resulting file)s) onto a usb stick, plug it into the TV's usb port and watch the movie?

BTW, I know that if the hotel's TV can get Netflix, I can sign in with my account and watch, but the movie we want to see isn't on Netflix now.

Thanks.

----

And never mind. I think I found the answer here: [www.techwalla.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2021 08:37PM by wurm.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Okay, here's a dumb TV in a hotel question.
Posted by: rz
Date: July 23, 2021 08:40PM
really depends on which brand the TV is. But it begs the question why you want to be stuck in your room watching a movie. Does the place you're going not have anything fun to do?

Years ago I had a 3 week trip for work and I read that each room had a DVD player. I brought a crapload of DVDs with me and watched one almost every night. It was in a small town with not much to do though. If I'm traveling somewhere fun, I'm usually out exploring every night.
Date: July 23, 2021 08:55PM
We're going to be doing the fun stuff during the day with my sister-in-law and her husband. This is for after dinner unwind time. It may end up being just me, as my wife is usually in bed and snoring away by 9.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: July 23, 2021 09:05PM
I have to wonder what function would a USB port on a TV have, if not for the input of media?

Charging iDevices?

Seems more likely those, if provided, would be near the bed or nightstands.

All the flat screens I've seen (ok, not all that many) have/had USB ports and they were all for connecting a source of media.

And if the TV does accept media through a USB port, it has to be one of the formats the TV supports.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: space-time
Date: July 23, 2021 09:18PM
My guess is it won't work. probably easier and more likely to work is to bring a long a device with HDMI cable. That would be a small DVD player, or a Roku with USB port.
Date: July 23, 2021 09:21PM
wurm
We're going to be doing the fun stuff during the day with my sister-in-law and her husband. This is for after dinner unwind time. It may end up being just me, as my wife is usually in bed and snoring away by 9.

don't they have a guest room?
Posted by: freeradical
Date: July 23, 2021 10:08PM
RAMd®d
I have to wonder what function would a USB port on a TV have, if not for the input of media?

Sometimes they are for "maintenance" purposes.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: July 23, 2021 10:22PM
rz
really depends on which brand the TV is. But it begs the question why you want to be stuck in your room watching a movie. Does the place you're going not have anything fun to do?

Years ago I had a 3 week trip for work and I read that each room had a DVD player. I brought a crapload of DVDs with me and watched one almost every night. It was in a small town with not much to do though. If I'm traveling somewhere fun, I'm usually out exploring every night.

we look for dive bars and people watch at a bare minimum. A friend once got invited to the local VFW hall in a small Washington town where they were doing work on a wind farm project. He ended up eating dinner and drinking and BSing and playing cards for several weeks there. When he mentioned he was a P3 sub hunter loadmaster in the Navy, he was Golden.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Date: July 23, 2021 10:27PM
space-time
wurm

don't they have a guest room?

Actually, they're in their RV and they are actually earlier-to-bed than my wife is. smiling smiley
Date: July 23, 2021 10:30PM
then have them drive to your house!
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: July 23, 2021 10:52PM
You will still need some sort of software to play the movie on the USB stick. Otherwise, the movie file will appear as just that when you insert the stick into the USB drive.

It is what it is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2021 10:52PM by N-OS X-tasy!.
Date: July 23, 2021 10:55PM
Most of the LCDs I have encountered in hotel/motels don't have remotes where you could access the menu of the TV to use the media player functionality of the TV.

I think of the 5 we encountered 4 weeks ago none would have let us do that. We always cozy up with my laptop, and we pack microwave popcorn.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Posted by: sekker
Date: July 23, 2021 11:15PM
Simplest is a Roku stick or Fire stick and install an app that allows Airplay. You still need to plug into the HDMI port if the TV and have the mp4 on some Apple device. But handbrake is your friend.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: July 24, 2021 01:37AM
Racer X

we look for dive bars and people watch at a bare minimum. A friend once got invited to the local VFW hall in a small Washington town where they were doing work on a wind farm project. He ended up eating dinner and drinking and BSing and playing cards for several weeks there. When he mentioned he was a P3 sub hunter loadmaster in the Navy, he was Golden.

At a younger age, before my septum became deviated, I also found dive bars more interesting.
Date: July 24, 2021 01:47AM
mine's deviated. Doesn't stop me. smileys with beer

Posted by: Speedy
Date: July 24, 2021 06:21AM
Not as small as a USB stick, but I would use my laptop and an HDMI cable.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: July 24, 2021 06:59AM
Wurm,

Depends on the model TV and what controls you're allowed to use via the remote. If you rip a movie or two, convert it into an mp4 before putting it onto the stick. Many TVs can't play a standard ripped DVD. Many can play an MP4. Another option is to purchase Chromecast or similar small scale device. Connect it to the TV. Stream content to it from a phone/tablet/computer or, if you can use it to pick up an Internet connection, stream directly via the Internet.

Robert
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: July 24, 2021 07:20AM
FWIW - think about perspective. My 13" MBA sitting on my chest in bed is effectively the same size the 60" TV on the wall 12' away. People just get it in their heads that 60" has to be bigger than 13", numerically it is but not necessarily visibly. You have to take in distance from viewer.

A movie theater screen is huge when it is 10' away but unwatchable if you are 1000' away. An iphone screen is useless at 10' but put it in a VR headset and it fills your vision.

So maybe watching the film on a laptop or iPad resting on your chest in bed will be just fine, possibly better than the 40' hotel set that is 10' away.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Date: July 24, 2021 07:39AM
Ombligo,

The issue is when two (or more) people want to watch simultaneously. That's when watching off a laptop/tablet/phone becomes an issue. Was on the couch with Little M watching frozen on an iPad mini. It wasn't particularly comfy. She kept hogging the screen!

Robert
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: July 24, 2021 08:16AM
One other point to mention, the big hospitality operators do not buy
'retail' versions of TVs. LG & Samsung, etc. produce 'commercial versions' just
for that purpose. Fewer features & capabilities along with non-standard
remotes. It's not unusual for the tuner to be cable only, no OTA.

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

DuckDuckGo
The search engine that doesn't track you.

DemComm Records 2021 Greatest Hits
includes:
Taxman by Joe & Nancy's Rich Ice Cream Band
The Humpty Dance by The Harris-Brown Hookup
Lets Spend The Night Together by The Fang-Swalwell Gang
Díaz-Canel Is A Friend of Ours by The AOC Squad
My Old Kentucky Retirement Home by MitchMcC & The Soggy Boxer Boys
Burning Down The House by Merrick & The Goons
Back In the USSR by Bernie's Red Square Trio

patriot smiley
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: July 24, 2021 10:37AM
To access the ports on hotel tv's you will need to use the buttons on the tv. Most of the remotes won't access them. So, if the tv recognizes the flash drive, you may not have a way to get the media to play.

I travel with either a Fire Stick or a Raspberry Pi media player. Most of the hotel tv's have at least 1 HDMI port. In some cases, I can power the Fire Stick with the USB port on the tv. The port won't power a Pi 4.

I really wish that Apple (or someone) would make a HDMI dongle that creates AirPlay access. Using an Apple TV in hotels can be a real pain as you typically need a webpage to sign into the wifi. There are ways around this, but it requires carrying more hardware. Now that you can install the Apple TV app on a Fire Stick, this may be the best solution available now.
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: July 24, 2021 11:06AM
I think the last time we were on an extended trip -- and it was a long time ago -- I just brought my AppleTV & used the condo's wi-fi. It worked fine; I think I got one buffering problem at the load of a movie.

YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary)
TETO (To Each Their Own)

(BTW, it's spelled < y'all >.)
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: July 24, 2021 11:34AM
Robert M
Ombligo,

The issue is when two (or more) people want to watch simultaneously. That's when watching off a laptop/tablet/phone becomes an issue. Was on the couch with Little M watching frozen on an iPad mini. It wasn't particularly comfy. She kept hogging the screen!

Robert

I agree that is an issue for multiple viewers, but the OP was going to be watching alone.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: July 24, 2021 01:56PM

It is what it is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2021 01:56PM by N-OS X-tasy!.
Date: July 24, 2021 04:27PM
Zoidberg
I think the last time we were on an extended trip -- and it was a long time ago -- I just brought my AppleTV & used the condo's wi-fi. It worked fine; I think I got one buffering problem at the load of a movie.

Hotels are a different animal. Most require wifi login via a webpage. Apple TV doesn't like this. Not sure if one can share wifi password via iOS to an Apple TV for a hotel network or not. Might have to try doing so the next time I drive to a hotel.
Date: July 25, 2021 07:09AM
Ombligo,

You and I read his post differently. Came across to me that more than one person would be watching the content. If it was just him, it'd be easier to watch on the device and be done with it. Really no need to play the video on or send it to the TV.

Robert
Posted by: pqrst
Date: July 25, 2021 07:58AM
I’d call the property and ask if you hook up your own device. Maybe fudge it a bit and say you’ve got home movies you want to show friends in the room. Have a good time.
Date: July 25, 2021 09:23PM
pqrst
I’d call the property and ask if you hook up your own device. Maybe fudge it a bit and say you’ve got home movies you want to show friends in the room. Have a good time.

Pron movies!
Date: July 26, 2021 07:46AM
space-time
pqrst

Pron movies!

You jest, however, hotel staff in many cities look for clues of people using hotel rooms to shoot pron. It's not as uncommon as one would think.
Date: July 26, 2021 07:44PM
Speedy
Not as small as a USB stick, but I would use my laptop and an HDMI cable.

That's what we ended up doing. Worked out great. Thanks.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 94
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020