advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
RIP comedian Jackie Mason
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: July 24, 2021 09:04PM
Jackie Mason, the sometimes-controversial standup comedian who unapologetically embraced Jewish themes and political incorrectness died Saturday in Manhattan. He was 93.

Mason was best known for his one man shows on and off broadway. His final one-man show, “Jackie Mason: The Ultimate Jew,” skipped Broadway. Variety wrote of “The Ultimate Jew”: “The show is one long jab at the world’s hypocrisy, dusted with one-liners from the ‘take my wife, please’ vaults.

“It’s harder to be amused,” Variety continued, “when Mason turns to minority groups. Inevitably, his barbs are about the foolishness of those who are not like himself and his aging, Jewish fanbase.”

He defended his caricature again and again by saying it was his right to be “politically incorrect,” but they certainly did not endear him to minority groups. He denigrated then-New York City Mayor David Dinkins by using a Yiddish defamatory word for an African American — a term he used frequently in his act.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: RIP comedian Jackie Mason
Posted by: lost in space
Date: July 24, 2021 10:03PM
I never liked the guy. As a kid, I thought he wasn't a nice person.

Posted by: Robert M
Date: July 25, 2021 10:59AM
Ombligo,

Can't say I was a fan. Can't say I wasn't a fan. He wasn't on my radar as a comedian. Went from rabbi to comedian. Definitely makes for an interesting career change.

Robert
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: July 25, 2021 11:04AM
I was just posting that he passed. I can't say I was a fan, he was like a Rodney Dangerfield or Don Rickles to me - okay, but not worth the price of a ticket.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: July 25, 2021 11:21AM
I liked the Jewish comedians when I was a kid, although most of their stuff went over my head. I never did like Jackie Mason, though.
Posted by: d4
Date: July 25, 2021 12:06PM
Racism and bigotry under the guise of pathetic humor is still racism and bigotry. He can go F himself. Oh wait, he can't because he's dead. Was that ok to say because it was an attempt at pathetic humor? Why so serious now?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2021 12:08PM by d4.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: July 25, 2021 12:26PM
R.I.P.

Well, I enjoyed his work.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: MacArtist
Date: July 25, 2021 12:32PM
Not a fan of Jackie Mason. He just had a pathetic, cruel quality to his humor. His humor almost never made me laugh.

I was a fan of Rodney Dangerfield and Don Rickles. Rodney was self depricating. He always had that beaten down look to him like of course he isn’t getting any respect. Rickles could be cruel but maybe I thought he was just funnier about it? I always got a kick watching Don Rickles on the Tonight Show and the celebrity roasts.

I was young when these guys were popular.

I sit on a man’s back, choking him and making
him carry me, and yet assure myself and others
that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his
lot by all possible means — except by getting off
his back. - Leo Tolstoy, novelist and Philosopher
(1828-1910)

Posted by: Dennis S
Date: July 25, 2021 12:53PM
My aunt has a friend who was in Las Vegas and ran into Rickles and Bob Newhart. They hit it off and went to dinner and a show together. She said Rickles was the nicest sweetest person she had ever known. (And Newhart was boring.)
Posted by: Todd's keyboard
Date: July 25, 2021 02:12PM
Decades ago, I read that some agent believed it was good for a comedian to be named "Jackie" something.

Apparently, this agent was responsible for:

Jackie Gleason
Jackie Mason
Jackie Vernon
Jackie Coogan
Jack E. Leonard

May all of them RIP.

Todd's (Jack) kie-board
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: July 25, 2021 10:13PM
I believe he was the Gas Station owner in the movie, 'The Jerk'.

Grateful11
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: July 26, 2021 03:12AM
MacArtist
Rickles could be cruel but maybe I thought he was just funnier about it? I always got a kick watching Don Rickles on the Tonight Show and the celebrity roasts.

The difference between Rickles and Mason was that the target of Rickles’ derision was always in on the joke.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: July 26, 2021 02:36PM
Grateful11
I believe he was the Gas Station owner in the movie, 'The Jerk'.

"We don't have defective cans, we have a defective poy-son!"
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 140
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020