advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Getting cold feet about root canal
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: July 26, 2021 12:28PM
I was resigned to just go through with it and be done with it, but I have to make an appointment by tomorrow and I'm wanting to back out and just get it pulled. It's tooth #14. There have been other teeth around it pulled and it will leave two unopposed teeth and that's the side I normally chew on. Also, I can't determine if the gap will be visible.

If I knew the root canal and cap would be 100% successful, I would feel better.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Getting cold feet about root canal
Posted by: Fritz
Date: July 26, 2021 12:34PM
I've had numerous root canals over the years.
Never an issue. The "technology" and methodology has gotten way better in my experience.
The biggest hurdle I fond is a DDS who can use a needle painlessly.
I've been lucky so far.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: July 26, 2021 12:38PM
.....they knock you out......won't feel a thing......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Buzz
Date: July 26, 2021 12:49PM

==
Date: July 26, 2021 01:31PM
Another factor is the amoxicillin hasn't quashed the pain yet. I have one day left on Flagyl, which is supposed to boost the amoxicillin. My ear still hurts. My doctors have tried 3 antibiotics for the ear and say it's because of the tooth. I've had 2 head MRIs and nothing shows for the ear pain. My dentist said I don't have TMJ. The ear has hurt off and on for years.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: July 26, 2021 01:36PM
Fritz

Don't go to any DDS.

Go to an endodontist.
Date: July 26, 2021 01:47PM
Lux Interior
Fritz

Don't go to any DDS.

Go to an endodontist.

Logistically and money-wise, I have decided on this dentist (I think.) He has done lots of them.
Date: July 26, 2021 01:49PM
A question I've always had: Does the infection have to be 100% gone before a procedure? What do you do if it's not?
Posted by: Robert M
Date: July 26, 2021 01:58PM
Dennis,

Had one day many years ago. Easy peazy and minimal fuss. As long as you have a good endodontist doing the job, shouldn't be an issue at all.

Robert

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2021 04:35AM by Robert M.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: July 26, 2021 02:29PM
I deeply regret having some teeth pulled rather than doing a root canal. My bite is kind of gappy and that makes it difficult. And implants compared to crowns are a factor of 10x more expensive.

That said, I did get Nitrous for my last root canal, and it went really well. I've been afraid of the dentist since my youth, when Novocain was still used and did not work too well on me. Lidocaine works better.
Posted by: Michael
Date: July 26, 2021 02:50PM
I had a root canal. Then a repeat on the same tooth. And it still hurt a year later. My dentist wanted me to go back to the endodontist for another repeat (there was no additional charge--just the time and effort) and I told him I was tired of the whole thing and please just pull it and bridge it. He did and a short time later the pain was gone although the financial pain was rather prominent!
Posted by: PeterB
Date: July 26, 2021 03:06PM
Lux Interior
Fritz

Don't go to any DDS.

Go to an endodontist.

This. My one root canal, I had done by an endodontic resident at a dental school for a greatly reduced price -- he was being supervised by the head of endodontics, so I felt pretty comfortable that he'd do a good job. It really wasn't all that painful, just very uncomfortable, and mostly just because it was a front tooth.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: July 26, 2021 03:13PM
Had one root canal; endodontist did it (I was referred by my DDS). Highly recommend.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: July 26, 2021 05:24PM
Need a third root canal by next year. The endodontist I've seen is very good but it costs me about $700+ with insurance.
Posted by: PeterB
Date: July 26, 2021 05:43PM
mrbigstuff
Need a third root canal by next year. The endodontist I've seen is very good but it costs me about $700+ with insurance.

You might consider going the route I did, with getting it done by a trainee at a well-respected dental school. Going this route, it cost me $350 (final cost), IIRC.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Date: July 26, 2021 09:08PM
I just talked to my retired dentist friend. He made a good case for a root canal.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: July 26, 2021 09:51PM
.....we are all.....rooting.....for 'ya.......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: July 26, 2021 10:14PM
PeterB
mrbigstuff

You might consider going the route I did, with getting it done by a trainee at a well-respected dental school. Going this route, it cost me $350 (final cost), IIRC.

I probably should, although I did go once when I was really broke. The problem is that they made me return multiple times, as they only do a little at a time.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: July 26, 2021 10:24PM
Earlier this year, I had a root canal and a crown done all in one sitting.

It was like 3 hours so hours in the chair, but it's good to get something like this done this way.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: July 27, 2021 06:04AM
Good luck.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: July 27, 2021 02:19PM
Dennis S
A question I've always had: Does the infection have to be 100% gone before a procedure? What do you do if it's not?

I never had any antibiotics...just went to the endodontist & he opened up the top of the tooth & went to work with his files to extract the infected tissue, then placed a temporary cap.

Dentist ordered & placed the permanent crown.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2021 02:20PM by Bill in NC.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: July 27, 2021 06:22PM
Wife broke the side off of a molar last week. Went to the dentist and he said he could save it with a crown. When he got through grinding it down he said the tooth was fine and didn't need a root canal but she's been having some pain with the temporary crown, is this normal? The crown and x-rays were $1610!

Grateful11
Posted by: Janit
Date: July 27, 2021 07:26PM
Grateful11
Wife broke the side off of a molar last week. Went to the dentist and he said he could save it with a crown. When he got through grinding it down he said the tooth was fine and didn't need a root canal but she's been having some pain with the temporary crown, is this normal? The crown and x-rays were $1610!

Depends on the nature of the pain. The tooth is probably feeling quite insulted by all that work and may take a while to settle down. I had a crown put on a molar two years ago and had an odd kind of pressure sensitivity afterwards that was so annoying that I avoided chewing hard things on that side -- not exactly pain, but a feeling of irritation.

Reading this exchange has made me realize that this sensitivity is now gone, but it did last for over a year.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 89
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020