advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
USPS shipping: any other options besides Media and Priority Mail?
Posted by: space-time
Date: July 26, 2021 07:43PM
I have a 2 lb 4 oz package, 11.5 x 10.5 x 4" that I need to ship from NJ to MI. USPS shows me several Priority Mail options and a Media option (restrictions Apply).

I thought there were something like parcel or other snail mail options less expensive that priority mail. basically options that compete with USP/FedEx ground.

What happened?

Thanks
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: USPS shipping: any other options besides Media and Priority Mail?
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: July 26, 2021 07:47PM
.....media mail is below priority mail.....the problem with media mail is when it works, it works very well (no issues) but when it doesn't work, it is a nightmare........

....have had packages 'lost' or delivered 2 months later.......once got a package 2 months later (notices left but one 'final notice').......you are better off paying a bit more for regular USPS shipping, if you are in no rush........

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: PeterB
Date: July 26, 2021 07:58PM
space-time
I have a 2 lb 4 oz package, 11.5 x 10.5 x 4" that I need to ship from NJ to MI. USPS shows me several Priority Mail options and a Media option (restrictions Apply).

I thought there were something like parcel or other snail mail options less expensive that priority mail. basically options that compete with USP/FedEx ground.

What happened?

Thanks

DO NOT SEND ANYTHING USPS. YOU WILL REGRET IT.

(I speak from experience, where USPS has lost multiple packages of mine, and hasn't paid up on the insurance.)

That being said, if you must send USPS, go with a flat-rate box ... almost always a better deal than calculated postage for Priority Mail.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Date: July 26, 2021 08:45PM
it's a $40 item, not the end of the world.

In fact the only items USPS has lost for me were incoming packages from Amazon, and that was probably a few isolated cases over the past decade or so.

I had UPS lose a very import package from work that came back with FedEx. Imagine that.

They all lose packages. You either take the risk for cheap items or buy insurance for expensive items.
Posted by: PeterB
Date: July 26, 2021 09:26PM
space-time
it's a $40 item, not the end of the world.

In fact the only items USPS has lost for me were incoming packages from Amazon, and that was probably a few isolated cases over the past decade or so.

I had UPS lose a very import package from work that came back with FedEx. Imagine that.

They all lose packages. You either take the risk for cheap items or buy insurance for expensive items.

Things have changed. It's been especially noticeable within the last year. Without getting this thread moved to the other side, I think we can all guess why USPS is not running the way it has in the past.

True, you might not care so much about a $40 item, but when a delivery service has gotten as bad as USPS has gotten, then you start to care about things like repeatedly lost packages, etc.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: Janit
Date: July 26, 2021 10:21PM
space-time

What happened?

Thanks

You can't buy Parcel/Retail Ground service from USPS online, but it can be bought at the post office. You should be able to check the rate, though, on the USPS website.

Other postage vendors may be able to sell that service online, but you'd need to research that.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: July 26, 2021 10:22PM
There is still the 1st class mail option from USPS. I just shipped something that way last week.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Posted by: Gareth
Date: July 26, 2021 10:52PM
Janit
You can't buy Parcel/Retail Ground service from USPS online, but it can be bought at the post office. You should be able to check the rate, though, on the USPS website.

USPS "Parcel/Retail Ground" is a joke. It's not worth it. You'll probably save a $1 or $2 for significantly longer transit time. Basically, if you don't like the Priority Mail price, you should check UPS Ground and FedEx Ground prices.
Date: July 27, 2021 05:53AM
Racer X
There is still the 1st class mail option from USPS. I just shipped something that way last week.

I think the limit is 13 oz
Posted by: Janit
Date: July 27, 2021 08:08AM
Gareth
Janit

USPS "Parcel/Retail Ground" is a joke. It's not worth it. You'll probably save a $1 or $2 for significantly longer transit time. Basically, if you don't like the Priority Mail price, you should check UPS Ground and FedEx Ground prices.

Depends on weight and distance. The greater the distance, the greater the difference. Priority Flat Rate and Regional Flat Rate can be a good buy for long distances, but that also depends on weight and shape.
Posted by: rz
Date: July 27, 2021 11:28AM
You want "Standard Mail". Here's a quote from me from a post about two years ago:

Our local post office pulled some BS a few years ago and if you asked for a package to be sent "parcel post", they'd claim that that service didn't exist and would not give you any option except Priority Mail. I read somewhere that you have to refer to it as "Standard Mail". The next time I was there, they tried to pull that BS on a woman in front of me who had a large package. I loudly told her (and all the other customers) that the woman behind the counter was lying and that you had to ask for "Standard Mail". She grudgingly said that, yes, Standard Mail was an option and it was a lot cheaper than Priority Mail. She then shot me a look. Thankfully when I got to the front of the line, I was waited on by another clerk.
Date: July 27, 2021 01:21PM
....you whipped her.....good....

Date: July 27, 2021 08:20PM
.....is the package a.....priority for you.....???

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 107
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020