Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Simone Biles out of Team Competition.
Posted by: space-time
Date: July 27, 2021 06:26AM
breaking news

moment earlier they just said Simone Biles and the team will go for Gold, and now she's out.

I hate when the TV Networks put some much pressure on these athletes.

EDIT: I see this live on NBC News Today show,I don't see it posted in other places so far.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2021 06:29AM by space-time.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Simone Biles out of Team Competition.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: July 27, 2021 06:44AM
[www.washingtonpost.com]

Simone Biles misses rotation in women’s gymnastics team final after leaving floor with medical staff

Simone Biles is reportedly out of the meet as United States trails Russian Olympic Committee

That's the whole of the story so far.

Posted by: pdq
Date: July 27, 2021 07:23AM
Sad, since I assume this will be the last Olympics for Biles.
Posted by: mspace
Date: July 27, 2021 08:29AM
They probably made a pre-emptive decision so she can do individuals.
Posted by: JoeM
Date: July 27, 2021 08:58AM
Hope she gets a chance to compete in the individuals. Whatever happens she’s still a champ in my book.

JoeM
Posted by: d4
Date: July 27, 2021 09:32AM
That's a shame. At her age, the one year delay of the 2020 Olympics must have affected her and her training.

Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: July 27, 2021 09:35AM
She told a reporter a few minutes ago that she will be back for all around finals on Thursday.
It seems as though she lost her concentration during that vault and pulled out to prevent injury to herself or her team's medal chances. True GOAT!

These athletes have split second precision thinking and resilience that defies imagination.

Enjoying the Games for the first time in a long time.
Posted by: datbeme
Date: July 27, 2021 10:29AM
d4
That's a shame. At her age, the one year delay of the 2020 Olympics must have affected her and her training.

Very possible, but she was killing it a month ago. The sport is unforgiving when it comes to off-days and inevitable setbacks. Training and preparation are critical, but it still comes down to timing and luck. The fact that she's been so dominant for so long makes her accomplishments even more impressive. Being able to do so amidst such high expectations is even more mind boggling.
Posted by: hal
Date: July 27, 2021 12:14PM
I haven't seen her perform in years, but clicked on a youtube vid of a floor routine from the team comp and it was stunning. She did one stunt where it seemed she was 8' off the ground - appeared to be almost 2x her height - it appeared to be completely impossible.

And that body! SHe's short and THICK - pure muscle. And she looked OLD compared to the preteens I'm used to seeing in these comps.

I hope she is able to leave her mark on the games.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: July 27, 2021 12:44PM
Lemon Drop
It seems as though she lost her concentration during that vault and pulled out to prevent injury to herself or her team's medal chances. True GOAT!

Not to denigrate Ms. Biles abilities or status (I too see her as the GOAT), but...

...wouldn't a true GOAT find a way to work though something as common as loss of concentration?

It is what it is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2021 12:44PM by N-OS X-tasy!.
Posted by: hal
Date: July 27, 2021 01:02PM
that seems contradictory...
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: July 27, 2021 01:06PM
N-OS X-tasy!
Lemon Drop

Not to denigrate Ms. Biles abilities or status (I too see her as the GOAT), but...

...wouldn't a true GOAT find a way to work though something as common as loss of concentration?

I agree, although I'm not and never have been a competitive athlete. To my mind, you take care of the Team now, you take care of You in the long run.
Posted by: rgG
Date: July 27, 2021 01:26PM
N-OS X-tasy!
Lemon Drop

I suspect it was much more than a loss of concentration, but not sure if they will flesh out what it was till after the games, if then.
She is spectacular and I wish her all the best for the rest of the games.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: July 27, 2021 03:56PM
With her list of incredible accomplishments, questioning the greatness Simone Biles is laughable. There are more ways of displaying greatness than the old, worn out ‘rub some dirt on it and walk it off’ ethos. Having the leadership and courage to step away from the spotlight and trust and support your amazingly talented teammates, rather than be an ‘only I can fix it’ adherent? That can be pretty damn great too.

“Loss of concentration” could be a diplomatic/catch all phrase used until they’re sure what’s going on. Dizziness, a momentary loss of balance, blurry vision and many other things could loosely be categorized as a ‘loss of focus’ to give the media pack something to chew on.

Then too, gymnastics isn’t a 48 minute/three periods/4 quarters event with starts and stops where you can gather yourself. Much if it is performances lasting minutes or less involving intense periods of laser like focus and astonishing precision.

This very Olympics, Kohei Ichimura, legendary male gymnast. The smallest of mental mistakes performing a simple transition he’s probably done hundreds, if not thousands of times before, and his Olympic days of glory end far differently than anyone expected.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
As of July 16, 2022, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is now available by simply dialing 988. The previous number, 1-800-273-8255, will remain active.

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 93
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020