advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
IF you were going to consider going to an automatic car wash...
Posted by: wurm
Date: July 27, 2021 04:17PM
Poll
What's your car wash preference?
Only registered users are allowed to vote for this poll.
51 votes were received.
automated conveyor-type brush/cloth system 22

43%
automated brushless 19

37%
self-service (DIY) in bay 5

10%
spray-on waterless (DIY) 0

0%
No way, no how. Nothing automated; hand wash only 5

10%

...would you be more inclined to use the "Touchless" or the conventional brushes/cloth strips type? I know, I know, I used to like washing the car by hand, but I'm not as flexible as I once was. Shoulder, back and wrist pain makes it a lot less fun than it used to be, so I'm considering running the new vehicle through one of the automated thingies.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: IF you were going to consider going to an automatic car wash...
Posted by: Racer X
Date: July 27, 2021 04:32PM
I have a self-service one 8 blocks from me. I do not know what they use for "engine clean" degreaser concentrate, but I suspect it is a simple green knock-off. I use the heck out of that car wash. One thing we will do is use it for heavy duty pre-cleaning if you will, or a quick $3 soapy rinse-off when we come back from rock collecting.

If we want a good, thorough cleaning, I pre-clean the nasty parts, then drive through the tunnel car wash about 2 miles away.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Posted by: jdc
Date: July 27, 2021 04:43PM
with 3 cars, got too much. got a $20/mo subscription to a place, unlimited drive thru, vaccumms at the end... just easier..

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: space-time
Date: July 27, 2021 04:47PM
jdc
with 3 cars, got too much. got a $20/mo subscription to a place, unlimited drive thru, vaccumms at the end... just easier..

We have places like that but I thought they charge $20/month PER CAR. Otherwise I could also wash my friends cars.

BTW I gave not washed my cars in 2-3 years. Looks surprisingly good though.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: July 27, 2021 04:58PM
....bikini car wash....is not on the list.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: jdc
Date: July 27, 2021 05:01PM
space-time
We have places like that but I thought they charge $20/month PER CAR. Otherwise I could also wash my friends cars.

We got a bundle. Maybe its $30? Wife did it.

We've had it for about a year, thought about canceling in the winter months when it rains more. Or maybe a couple of months in the summer, when its easier to wash.

A few days ago, drove my car thru it 2 times. Early morning, then again after taking a trip up the valley with a ton of bugs. easy peasy. does a pretty OK job.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: July 27, 2021 05:37PM
wurm
...would you be more inclined to use the "Touchless" or the conventional brushes/cloth strips type?

The cloth strips (and other materials) pick up grit/pebbles and scratch your car.

They're supposed to be swapped out every few weeks as they pick up sand and grit, but nobody actually does that because it costs money/downtime. Some of those things are there for years, just accumulating crud.

So whenever possible, go touch-free or DIY.

Posted by: davester
Date: July 27, 2021 05:50PM
It depends.

Minivan/sedan/pickup truck - who cares, just run it through.

Priceless vintage vehicle, supercar or convertible sports car - hand wash only.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2021 05:52PM by davester.
Posted by: Golfer
Date: July 27, 2021 06:10PM
I never thought I would but I use our one brush/cloth rotating type car wash in our small town. I've been using it for years and have never experienced a scratch or scuff from it. It's just as good as a hand wash, but I don't have to hand wash! I've been told I am the most anal person anyone has meet when it comes to vehicle cleaning, and damn proud to have the moniker. I hate, hate, hate a dirty vehicle, and wash with about every gas fill-up. Maybe since it a small town station they keep up with cleaning the strips better than most? I don't know but absolutely love the results.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: July 27, 2021 06:18PM
We use a car wash that's been owned by the same family since the 60's, they have 3 locations. Theirs is automatic conveyor type with chamois-like brushes . Our '02 Tahoe has been through it countless time without any damage. Express Wash is like $6, no hand dry just put it neutral and go with it. An inside outside wash has gone up to $20 which is getting a little high to me. They have a very hard time keeping help. Ten years ago you knew the workers by name.

Grateful11
Posted by: rz
Date: July 27, 2021 06:59PM
It rains here every few days. Good enough for me.
Posted by: lost in space
Date: July 27, 2021 07:00PM
We use a local carwash. Two guys go over the car by hand with soapy brush wands (no spray), then the car goes through a touchless rinse. Best of both worlds for $7.00.

Posted by: cbelt3
Date: July 27, 2021 07:11PM
It’s a car, not an abject of art. And I don’t care that much.
Date: July 27, 2021 07:18PM
This is great, thanks. Frankly, I was expecting to be vilified for even suggesting something automated, but I was willing to take the chance for some thoughtful replies.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: July 27, 2021 07:56PM
If I were too - it would the local touchless which is $30/month unlimited.

But I prefer doing them by hand with a clay glove. It really isn't any harder than a wash mitt, and I'll do a wax every couple times although that is a longer process.

My daughter-in-law does a great interior detail too.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: July 28, 2021 09:14AM
Grateful11
We use a car wash that's been owned by the same family since the 60's, they have 3 locations. Theirs is automatic conveyor type with chamois-like brushes . Our '02 Tahoe has been through it countless time without any damage. Express Wash is like $6, no hand dry just put it neutral and go with it. An inside outside wash has gone up to $20 which is getting a little high to me. They have a very hard time keeping help. Ten years ago you knew the workers by name.

Had one of those literally around the corner...offered a monthly option as well.

Friendly, long-term employees.

Pandemic killed it.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: July 28, 2021 11:06AM
Bill in NC
Grateful11

Had one of those literally around the corner...offered a monthly option as well.

Friendly, long-term employees.

Pandemic killed it.

One by use too, been there 30+ years. Working there was almost a rite of passage for the local kids. Then the new automatic everything one built right next door - the original was gone in three months. Sad

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Posted by: Microman
Date: July 28, 2021 11:13AM
$6 drive thru, vacuum for free. Doesn't seem to harm surface of car at all. Well worth it, for not having to buy soap, bucket, and get the hose, and spray off and wipe , etc. I just take a stack of Costco Micro Fiber Towels with me to wipe off the drips, and vacuum.

Especially after I did the wifes car with CLAY, and then Turtle Hybrid Spray 2x, and then Mequiars Final ?24?, and the thing is beautiful, and like new.

Now when I drive thru that $6 wash, it only takes a second to dry off.
Date: July 28, 2021 12:31PM
I did end up tying the local automatic brush/rag/flap thing yesterday (half-price Tuesdays), so it only cost me $6. Not bad. Maybe next Tuesday I'll try their touch-less just for comparison.

Thanks.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: July 28, 2021 07:53PM
Worktruck/daily driver sure why not. Never going to notice/care about all the micro scratches.

Car you would ever consider washing, claybar, polishing, waxing, and ceramic coating? Nope.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 95
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020