advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
OS 9: Formatting External SCSI
Posted by: SKYLANE
Date: January 22, 2006 10:39PM
I just tried hooking up some older external drives via SCSI to two different OS 9 machines. I am wiping the drives getting them ready for donation to someone that needs them. I can read/write to drives via SCSI just fine.

PROBLEM:

When I try to erase the drives with OS 9.1 Disk Utility, it says it "Cannot initialize a disk in an unsupported drive".

It was formerly formatted with CharisMac Anubis. I never had problems in past switching back and forth between using Disk Utility or Anubis. I tried Auto-Initialize with Anubis, but it cannot start initialization either, says something like a file is busy on the drive (???). That note comes up so fast I am not able to quite read exactly what it says before it disappears again.

SUGGESTIONS?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: OS 9: Formatting External SCSI
Posted by: Racer X
Date: January 22, 2006 11:31PM
it may not be the utility used to format them. Apple Disk Utility can't format certain brands/models of SCSI drives. Fujitsu springs to mind as 1 I could never do with apple's software.
Date: January 22, 2006 11:40PM
Figured it out, I had File Sharing turned on. Once I turned File Sharing off, I was able to re-format the drive. Not sure why you can erase or re-format a drive while File Sharing is on, but it doesn't matter right now! smiling smiley
Posted by: Pops
Date: January 23, 2006 05:03AM
Thanks for posting the follow up and solution. It helps the knowledge base grow.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2006 05:03AM by Pops.
Date: January 23, 2006 03:10PM
Well, Disk Utility was able to see one of the two drives after File Sharing was turned off. It still was not able to see the other. The utility still claimed that on one of the drives that it "Cannot initialize a disk in an unsupported drive". Odd, not sure what the difference is. May Anubis put a driver on it that it doesn't know what to do with.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2006 03:21PM by SKYLANE.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 154
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020