advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
New iPhone dilemma-what to do next?
Posted by: DP
Date: July 28, 2021 07:48AM
Interesting situation. Last week, I was coming back home from a busy day and noticed a box on my next door neighbor's porch. I grab it and it's a iPhone 12 Pro Max from Xfinity Mobile.

Why did I grab it? Well, no one has lived in the house for three years! The woman who lived there had fallen down her stairs and is now in assisted living. Turns out she was diabetic and never had gotten help for her condition and we think she fainted when coming down hers stairs! She was treated for open sores that weren't healing and many other issues related to the lack of care for her condition and she was unable to return home...

The house is now on the market but it has been unoccupied so there should be nothing getting delivered.

Now, I get the package and the address is correct but, during the twenty-five years I've lived here, no one with the name on the label
has lived there! It has a phone number on the label but this sounds shaky to me-maybe someone stole a credit card, ordered a top-of-the-line iPhone, and had it delivered to an unoccupied house.

So I call Comcast/Xfinity and I ask about what I should do? Take it to the Xfinity store or get an RMA to return it? The rep I spoke to says he's never had this situation to deal with before and he says to hold while he checks with his manager.

He comes back on and says to just hang on to it and Xfinity will call me with instructions. Well, that was a week ago and no call yet!

My wife needs a new phone so... Seriously, tho, I couldn't use it as it has a SIM card with the name of the purchaser and it would need to be unlocked too.

I've got this expensive iPhone sitting here doing nothing and I thought I'd have heard from Xfinity by now.

WWTFD? Enquiring minds want to know...

Resident Cardinal...

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: New iPhone dilemma-what to do next?
Posted by: pdq
Date: July 28, 2021 08:26AM
Well, I wouldn’t keep it. It sounds like you’re on the right path, despite the non-helpfulness of XFinity - I’d keep bugging them.
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: July 28, 2021 09:05AM
Yep, keep bugging comcrap.
If the rep did anything, the IMEI # should be blocked.

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

DuckDuckGo
The search engine that doesn't track you.

DemComm Records 2021 Greatest Hits
includes:
Taxman by Joe & Nancy's Rich Ice Cream Band
The Humpty Dance by The Harris-Brown Hookup
Lets Spend The Night Together by The Fang-Swalwell Gang
Díaz-Canel Is A Friend of Ours by The AOC Squad
My Old Kentucky Retirement Home by MitchMcC & The Soggy Boxer Boys
Burning Down The House by Merrick & The Goons
Back In the USSR by Bernie's Red Square Trio

patriot smiley
Posted by: Michael
Date: July 28, 2021 09:44AM
If you haven't opened it you could write "Refused" on the package and drop it at whichever shipping service delivered it. That should send it back to wherever it came from. I'd take a pic if I did that, including the drop off.

I don't think I'd spend the time on a second phone call. They need to follow up with minimal time cost to you.

Edit--if you know what kind of phone it is, then it's been opened. I don't know if you can refuse an opened package. That might be worth a call to Fedex or whoever delivered it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2021 09:45AM by Michael.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: July 28, 2021 11:00AM
I was going to suggest walking into an xfinity store, getting a receipt, and leaving them to deal with it.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Posted by: rgG
Date: July 28, 2021 11:12AM
Have you seen anyone around looking for a package?
I think I agree with Ombligo about dropping it off at the closest Devil's liar, Comcast is the Devil if you didn't know, if there is one close to you.
Maybe someone got the address wrong or it might be as you suspect, but giving it back to them puts the ball/phone in their court.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: pqrst
Date: July 28, 2021 11:13AM
I’d go the drop off at a store route. And take somebody with you to witness. Interesting situation. Keep us updated.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: July 28, 2021 12:06PM
Ombligo
I was going to suggest walking into an xfinity store, getting a receipt, and leaving them to deal with it.

And wear a mask! angel smiley
Posted by: space-time
Date: July 28, 2021 12:35PM
Why did I grab it? Well, no one has lived in the house for three years!

I would not take it, not my business.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: July 28, 2021 03:36PM
....I think you are right......a scammer shipped to the house, knowing it was empty.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: DP
Date: July 28, 2021 04:16PM
at the closest Devil's liar

Did you mean lair or liar? Either would work, yes?

I think I'll take it to a store. There's one not too far away from me.

Thx, all!

Resident Cardinal...

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 63
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020