advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
with a girl like Rosie?!....RIP: one of the 'Rosie the Riveters' [ at 99 ]......
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: July 28, 2021 08:13AM
......Phyllis Gould.....complications of stroke.....

"Rosie the Riveter" Phyllis Gould dies at 99

....One of the six original "Rosie the Riveters" died last week after spending her life making sure Americans would never forget the trailblazing women who helped boost the country's military arsenal during World War II.

Phyllis Gould died July 20 from complications of a stroke, her family told CBS News.

She worked at a California shipyard for $0.90 an hour.

"We had equal pay with the men. I was married, a young marriage, and he was a welder and I became a welder and was making the same money he did," she said during a White House visit in 2014.

She was one of around five million civilian women who worked in factories and shipyards during World War II, which freed men to go fight in the war.

Gould helped establish a museum and make March 21 "National Rosie the Riveter Day." She wrote hundreds of handwritten letters lobbying for a Congressional Gold Medal for the Riveters. Her efforts paid off. At the time of her death, she was working to design the award, which will be given out next year.

She took that tenacious work ethic home with her too. She built a log cabin with a hammer and nails. At age 92, she joined fellow Riveters at the White House, a lifelong dream of hers.

She logged a life well-lived in her meticulous journals, writing, "I still have places to go and adventures to live."

"She wants on her gravestone: 'Mission Accomplished,'" her sister, Marian Sousa, told the San Francisco Chronicle. "I think she did it all."

Gould was 99-years-old.

How could I be blue?.......Hand in hand we'll mosey......Me and little Rosie........We will be so cozy........By a fire built for two.......?!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2021 01:11PM by NewtonMP2100.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: with a girl like Rosie?!....RIP: Rosie the Riveter [ at 99 ]......
Posted by: DP
Date: July 28, 2021 08:54AM
Good on you, Phyllis! RIP...

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: July 28, 2021 10:52AM
A well earned wonderful life.

I fondly remember Miss White, who started working as a teenager in WWII in my company's factory doing work to 'help our boys'. And when the boys came back in 1945, she was the only woman left in the entire company. She worked there for 52 years until she finally retired. And passed away a few years later. She was living history and a force to be reckoned with. And a wonderful person.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: July 28, 2021 12:30PM
An icon. RIP
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: July 28, 2021 12:31PM
I thought Rosalind P. Walter was Rosie the Riveter.
Posted by: hal
Date: July 28, 2021 01:09PM
mrbigstuff
An icon. RIP

yep - this is the logo of the New York Riveters (women's pro hockey league)

Re: with a girl like Rosie?!....RIP: one of the 'Rosie the Riveters' [ at 99 ]......
Posted by: DP
Date: July 28, 2021 03:10PM

The three ladies in the middle are Rosie's...

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 117
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020