advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Grrrr... smoke alarm won't stop chirping
Posted by: PeterB
Date: July 28, 2021 12:54PM
It's a First Alert Model 9120B... has AC and battery power. Tried replacing the battery with a known good one (even metered it and it shows 9.2V) ... and the damned thing keeps beeping. I've also tried disconnecting it from the AC power and depressing the button for 5-10 seconds or so to try to get it to reset.

Ideas? Or is it just in need of replacement?

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Grrrr... smoke alarm won't stop chirping
Posted by: MindMeld
Date: July 28, 2021 01:07PM
Here's one possible issue/solution:

[idoneitmyself.com]
Date: July 28, 2021 01:10PM
MindMeld
Here's one possible issue/solution:

[idoneitmyself.com]

Interesting. The room where the smoke detector is, IS fairly dusty, though it being on the ceiling, I wouldn't have thought it'd have that much dust. Worth a try though.

Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: July 28, 2021 01:12PM
They build them now that after 10 years they have an EOL chirp and force you to replace them.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: July 28, 2021 01:12PM
.....smoke....gets in your....eyes....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: mikebw
Date: July 28, 2021 01:17PM
C(-)ris
They build them now that after 10 years they have an EOL chirp and force you to replace them.

Those can also get dusty and fail very prematurely. I had to take one down and silence it with a hammer after about 13 months.
Date: July 28, 2021 01:21PM
....yes, had that happen recently.....a 10 year old one just started chirping and I couldn't stop it......then saw how old it was......

Date: July 28, 2021 01:42PM
C(-)ris

Yes, I saw that -- this one isn't 10 years though, it's dated 2015.

I've tried the air duster, that hasn't solved it. So I'm going to try to leave it totally unplugged/no power for a bit and see if that resets it.

The manual for it is -- at least for me -- very confusing on this point. They don't even show how the battery is supposed to be oriented in the holder, and the plus and minus signs inside are tiny and almost impossible to see. I'm not sure I'm understanding it properly, but I think the manual is suggesting to turn off the power at the breaker before replacing the battery: [www.firstalertstore.com] ... if true, that's a total pain in the neck.

Date: July 28, 2021 02:41PM
PeterB
I'm not sure I'm understanding it properly, but I think the manual is suggesting to turn off the power at the breaker before replacing the battery: [www.firstalertstore.com] ... if true, that's a total pain in the neck.

Well, there is 120VAC going to it, so they would be remiss to not at least suggest that.
Posted by: Spiff
Date: July 28, 2021 03:01PM
2015? 6 years? Time to replace it.
Date: July 28, 2021 03:05PM
mikebw
PeterB
I'm not sure I'm understanding it properly, but I think the manual is suggesting to turn off the power at the breaker before replacing the battery: [www.firstalertstore.com] ... if true, that's a total pain in the neck.

Well, there is 120VAC going to it, so they would be remiss to not at least suggest that.

True, but you'd also think that disconnecting it from the AC at the jumper would be sufficient ... I guess their procedure is intended to discharge the detector, but I don't see what it matters if you turn off the power at the breaker or just remove AC power from the unit. [support.firstalert.com]

... anyway, just for the heck of it, I tried and it didn't work. So I'm guessing this one just went bad early.

Posted by: Racer X
Date: July 28, 2021 03:46PM
A friend Phoebe had that happen. She ended up throwing it down the trash chute.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

[www.youtube.com]
Date: July 28, 2021 07:36PM
Racer X

Probably still beeping.
Posted by: vision63
Date: July 28, 2021 08:46PM
mikebw
Racer X

Probably still beeping.

lol
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: July 28, 2021 09:14PM
PeterB
The manual for it is -- at least for me -- very confusing on this point. They don't even show how the battery is supposed to be oriented in the holder, and the plus and minus signs inside are tiny and almost impossible to see. I'm not sure I'm understanding it properly, but I think the manual is suggesting to turn off the power at the breaker before replacing the battery: [www.firstalertstore.com] ... if true, that's a total pain in the neck.

The problem may be that the battery is not seated properly. Did the battery seat cleanly? Did you set the locking-pin?

Some tips here:
[www.bobvila.com]

Posted by: Grateful11
Date: July 28, 2021 09:51PM
I hate wired smoke detectors, they give way more trouble than straight battery. We have three of them because the of a remodel job some years ago. The rest of the house has battery only, no issues with them.

Grateful11
Date: July 28, 2021 10:41PM
Sarcany
PeterB

The problem may be that the battery is not seated properly. Did the battery seat cleanly? Did you set the locking-pin?

Some tips here:
[www.bobvila.com]

Battery seated cleanly, no evidence of corrosion or obstruction, and I didn't set or use a locking pin.

Posted by: JoeM
Date: July 29, 2021 10:17AM
I just replaced all,of mine after one started chirping non stop. They only last about 7 years from what I’ve read and mine were older than that by a bit.

JoeM
Date: July 29, 2021 11:41AM
vision63
mikebw
Racer X

Probably still beeping.

lol

.....could you ask Phoebe.....if Ross and Rachel were on a break......????

Posted by: Racer X
Date: July 29, 2021 06:22PM
She's returning the Holiday Armadillo for Ross.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

[www.youtube.com]
Date: July 30, 2021 05:42PM
Followup -- got a replacement, the replacement is working fine. So definitely a problem with the old alarm. I think it's fine that these things have a finite lifespan, but I think it'd be better if they made them with some sort of self-test circuit so as to distinguish between EOL versus all the other possibilities we discussed in this thread... would have saved me a lot of diagnostic time.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 105
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020