advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Is “Windows 10 in S Mode” ok, and how to get Office free but legal for home school student?
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: July 28, 2021 07:04PM
Friend of mine‘s young kid needs a laptop for homeschooling. I found a good clearance deal at my local Walmart for $170. But it comes with windows 10 in S mode. I know nothing about the latest windows flavors. Is that gonna be OK for his needs? Also how can he get aFree or low-cost copy of office? They are not very well to do.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Is “Windows 10 in S Mode” ok, and how to get Office free but legal for home school student?
Posted by: space-time
Date: July 28, 2021 07:09PM
I think S mode is a dumbed down version of the GUI, and I think you can convert it back to the normal GUI.

I think you can get a low cost license on eBay. Not sure how legal it is, but I know eBay is pretty aggressive with illegal software and the fact they allow these sellers to list inexpensive licenses makes me thinks it is a grey area and neither eBay or MS are interested in policing and squeezing the last penny. Go for it.
Re: Is “Windows 10 in S Mode” ok, and how to get Office free but legal for home school student?
Posted by: raz
Date: July 28, 2021 07:32PM
Any particular reason to not use LibreOffice or Google docs?

--------------

Embarassing myself on the Internet since 1978.
Date: July 28, 2021 07:48PM
These guys are computer illiterate, I’m not sure if they know how to use those or even if there are issues with inter-compatibility. But if you think a novice can handle it, I may recommend it to them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2021 07:49PM by Carnos Jax.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: July 28, 2021 07:58PM
Carnos Jax
These guys are computer illiterate, I’m not sure if they know how to use those or even if there are issues with inter-compatibility. But if you think a novice can handle it, I may recommend it to them.

I would recommend they enroll in an online virtual school. It will cost them nothing, the child will still be at home, they will get a viable vetted curriculum, access to licensed teachers, and they will be provided both a device as well as licenses for any software they may need. Seems like a win-win.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2021 07:58PM by C(-)ris.
Posted by: raz
Date: July 28, 2021 08:02PM
Carnos Jax

If that was to me, then I’d say go for it. They’re free, and there’s little functional or feature difference between word processors or spreadsheets.

--------------

Embarassing myself on the Internet since 1978.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: July 28, 2021 08:21PM
The cheap ebay international licenses work but installation is not the easiest, especially for the computer illiterate. I've installed them on numerous laptops and still can get tripped up.

I think Libreoffice would be fine. The learning curve is very quick. Learning to save as DocX is really the only special skill they will need.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: July 28, 2021 08:41PM
Would a ChromeBook and Google apps work?
Posted by: kj
Date: July 28, 2021 09:58PM
Ken Sp.
Would a ChromeBook and Google apps work?

I like this idea. Also, all the schools in this area (and I'm sure many more) use google docs. It works really well for school. There is also Cloudready, which makes tons of computers new and old into chrome books. Super easy to install (I ran it off a thumbdrive, then eventually fully installed it). I used it for a while, and was really impressed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2021 10:00PM by kj.
Date: July 28, 2021 11:47PM
Thank you everyone, I recommended they get the chrome book and they agreed. Really appreciate all the advice given here.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 117
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020