advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
WHO's your daddy?!....rumor confirmed: BBC confirms Jodie Whittaker leaving 'Doctor Who'......
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: July 29, 2021 09:02AM
.....as well as showrunner, Chris Chibnall to leave in 2022.....the rumor that she was leaving has been around for long time......

Doctor Who: Jodie Whittaker and Chris Chibnall to leave in 2022

....Jodie Whittaker is to step down from the lead role in Doctor Who, the BBC has confirmed.

The first woman to play the Time Lord will bow out in Autumn 2022, along with showrunner Chris Chibnall.
Whittaker will star in a new six-part series later this year, and three specials next year, before she exits.

In a statement, Whittaker paid tribute to Chibnall and the Doctor Who team, adding: "I will carry the Doctor and the lessons I've learnt forever."

Chibnall, who appointed the actress to replace Peter Capaldi four years ago, has been in charge of the BBC One series since 2017.

It has not yet been announced who will take over from Whittaker in the leading role.

"In 2017 I opened my glorious gift box of size 13 shoes," Whittaker said. "I could not have guessed the brilliant adventures, worlds and wonders I was to see in them."

She continued: "My heart is so full of love for this show, for the team who make it, for the fans who watch it and for what it has brought to my life."

"And I cannot thank Chris enough for entrusting me with his incredible stories. We knew that we wanted to ride this wave side by side, and pass on the baton together. So here we are, weeks away from wrapping on the best job I have ever had. I don't think I'll ever be able to express what this role has given me. I will carry the Doctor and the lessons I've learnt forever.

"I know change can be scary and none of us know what's out there. That's why we keep looking. Travel Hopefully. The Universe will surprise you. Constantly."

For her final series, Whittaker will once again be joined by Mandip Gill as Yaz, and comedian John Bishop, who will play a new character named Dan.

The 13th Doctor's first episode in October 2018 was watched by 11.5m viewers, in the sci-fi drama's biggest audience for almost a decade. It was also the biggest show of that week, ahead of Strictly Come Dancing and the Great British Bake Off.

But the show's ratings have dropped in recent years. Whittaker's last episode, broadcast in January, attracted a consolidated audience of 6.3 million.....

another.....'Doctor Who'......leaves......?!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: WHO's your daddy?!....rumor confirmed: BBC confirms Jodie Whittaker leaving 'Doctor Who'......
Posted by: Rolando
Date: July 29, 2021 09:24AM
Is the role too challenging or not fun? Most American actors would hold on to the role for as long as he could...

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Re: WHO's your daddy?!....rumor confirmed: BBC confirms Jodie Whittaker leaving 'Doctor Who'......
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: July 29, 2021 09:30AM
....Brits TV shows tend to have less shows per season and TV shows tend to only have a few seasons.....also past Doctor Whos have also tended to stay for only 3 seasons.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: July 29, 2021 10:06AM
Rolando
Is the role too challenging or not fun? Most American actors would hold on to the role for as long as he could...

You should watch Spooks (MI-5 in the US). Their "leads" dropped like flies as the show progressed.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2021 10:07AM by bazookaman.
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: July 29, 2021 06:18PM
Doctor Who has a 6 decade tradition of 3 seasons or so for the lead, with only Jon Pertwee (1970-74) at 5 and of course Tom Baker (1974-1981) at 7 years staying longer:

1st: 3.2 yrs
2nd: 2.8
3rd: 5
4th: 7
5th: 3
6th: 2
7th: 3
8th: 1 special
9th: 1
10th: 3+ specials
11th: 3+ specials
12th: 3+ specials
13th (current): sounds like 3+ specials

Change is an inherent part of the show and built into its design by now. Actually the strangest thing is when the companion/assistants stay more than 2 years. They seem to overstay their welcome by about the end of year 2 so Gill staying on may not be the best move.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2021 06:19PM by Lew Zealand.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: July 29, 2021 07:05PM
You should watch Spooks (MI-5 in the US). Their "leads" dropped like flies as the show progressed.

Ain't that the truth!

I watched the first season where one of the good guys was killed off, quite brutally in a way that wouldn't fly on US TV.

The other spook in that scene disappears at the end of series 2.

And it doesn't stop there.

It happens in a lot of their other shows as well, just not all that often in the run of the show.

Line of duty, Bodyguard, Silent Witness, and Berlin Station, are just a few that have killed off a main character.

Used to US TV which usually telegraphs scenes (obvious foreshadowing) Brit TV often takes me my surprise.

I am that Masked Man.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: sekker
Date: July 29, 2021 07:15PM
We lost interest in the current show when the scripts brought little new to the screen. Jodie Whittaker seems to be a fine actress. We will give this year's show a chance as it's one storyline.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 99
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020