advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Anybody know about house jacks?
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: July 29, 2021 09:34AM
Long story short, our 1918 house is sagging in a couple of places. There are later-installed steel beams in the basement that would support a jack to lift up the sagging wood beams.

From what I've read, a 12-ton screw jack would be best--you don't want to lift more than 1/8 of an inch at a time, and bottle jacks seem not to allow for such fine adjustment...

Anybody have some expertise?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Anybody know about house jacks?
Posted by: space-time
Date: July 29, 2021 10:32AM
just hire a really good structural engineer and make sure whoever does this work has license, bond, insurance, and most important, lot of experience.

Good luck.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: July 29, 2021 10:49AM
My dad used screw jacks under our 1911 built house. It took him five years of making tweaks (screw jacks, hardwood wedges that looked like shingles, etc.) before marbles wouldn't reliably roll away in parts of the first floor.

Decent ones are $150 plus because of insurance costs due to relentless advances in building better idiots.

Mcmaster, Grainger, Graybar (craft.co).

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: mikebw
Date: July 29, 2021 10:51AM
No real experience, but I believe you are correct in that you do not want to go too fast. Baby steps over time to let things adjust. Expect new cracks in the walls above if they have been patched over time to compensate for the sagging, also door frames may go out of alignment for the same reason.

If these jacks are to become permanent you would first need to prepare a foundation to go underneath. If pouring concrete allow it proper time to cure to full strength.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: July 29, 2021 10:51AM
You may want to do some rough calculations of the load you are trying to lift before settling on a size. Even then you may want to go up a size or two to end up with jacks that have a larger base and lifting pad. They will be more stable that way.
Posted by: modelamac
Date: July 29, 2021 11:06AM
anonymouse1
Long story short, our 1918 house is sagging in a couple of places. There are later-installed steel beams in the basement that would support a jack to lift up the sagging wood beams.

From what I've read, a 12-ton screw jack would be best--you don't want to lift more than 1/8 of an inch at a time, and bottle jacks seem not to allow for such fine adjustment...

mikebw nailed it. Yes, I have used screw jacks.

1. You want to use screw jacks because they will be permanent.
2. You are correct that you want to raise it in small increments over a long period.
3. You need to have a solid broad base for the jack - a steel plate works best but a cement pad larger than the base of the jack will do.

Ed (modelamac)

I think I will just put an OUT OF ORDER
sticker on my head and call it a day.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: July 29, 2021 11:20AM
....don't know jack......about jacks......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: July 29, 2021 11:22AM
modelamac
anonymouse1

mikebw nailed it. Yes, I have used screw jacks.

1. You want to use screw jacks because they will be permanent.
2. You are correct that you want to raise it in small increments over a long period.
3. You need to have a solid broad base for the jack - a steel plate works best but a cement pad larger than the base of the jack will do.

Unless you know the thickness of the concrete, I would recommend figuring out how thick the slab is. You wouldn't want to make some progress and then have the slab fail. It might be worth cutting the slab and pouring a proper footer for the jacks to sit on.
Posted by: Tiki2000
Date: July 29, 2021 12:14PM
As a Structural Engineer, I'm going to grab some popcorn...
Keep the suggestions coming, this should be interesting.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: July 29, 2021 12:40PM
The house we’re renting is old and had extensions and remodels done decades ago. The owner is over 6” tall, so he first had the main floor raised about 2 feet so that could walk in the basement, which had about 6” max at the time.

There are 9 screw jacks in the ~ 800 sq ft basement that support the main floor. I can see from just looking at the 2x6 joists (old house, like I said) that the main floor isn’t remotely level. Up on the main floor you really only notice it partly.
Date: July 29, 2021 12:45PM
anonymouse1
… and bottle jacks seem not to allow for such fine adjustment...

True. But that’s only part of the downside (literally). I think you’re probably also aware that hydraulic cylinders aren’t designed to hold position forever. Unless you’re able to construct a foundational wall or such down there, poles with screw adjustments are a thing.
Posted by: kj
Date: July 29, 2021 01:13PM
My brother had his very large farm house jacked up on steel girders (they punched holes in the existing cement, which allowed them to pour a new foundation, then set it back down. Point being, I don't think it has to be done slowly, or that way at all, if you want to get it taken care of, like now. I don't claim to know anything more than that, though. He may have had options you don't.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: July 29, 2021 01:39PM
> The owner is over 6” tall,

Would your neighbor landlord by chance be a pianist?

Edit: Sheesh! Rick-o, learn to comprehend!

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2021 02:23PM by Rick-o.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: July 29, 2021 02:04PM
One pillar fell out from under our son's home built in 1938. Our handyman went in and poured a new concrete pad and put in a cross beam and two post jacks. It's holding fine, that was about 6 years ago.

Sadly our handyman passed away from cancer about 4 years ago. He was the kinda guy you could give a set of keys to and would lock up when he was done for the day. He even fed our pets. There's only two rooms in our home he didn't have a hand in the remodel. He was a not only a handyman but our friend. He had converted a single car attached garage into a handicapped accessible bedroom for Jesse, sadly Jesse didn't get to enjoy it long.

Grateful11
Posted by: mikebw
Date: July 29, 2021 02:12PM
Grateful11
One pillar fell out from under our son's home built in 1938. Our handyman went in and poured a new concrete pad and put in a cross beam and two post jacks. It's holding fine, that was about 6 years ago.

Sadly our handyman passed away from cancer about 4 years ago. He was the kinda guy you could give a set of keys to and would lock up when he was done for the day. He even fed our pets. There's only two rooms in our home he didn't have a hand in the remodel. He was a not only a handyman but our friend. He had converted a single car attached garage into a handicapped accessible bedroom for Jesse, sadly Jesse didn't get to enjoy it long.

Good memories at least!
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: July 29, 2021 02:54PM
100% hire a pro. Don't eyeball it. Don't guess. Science the F out of that.

And yes. It won't be cheap. But.. your insurance probably won't cover the damage if you don't do it right.
Date: July 29, 2021 03:29PM
mikebw
Grateful11

Good memories at least!

.....it's hard to find a good handyman....let alone a good person.....these days.....

Date: July 29, 2021 04:15PM
Rick-o
> The owner is over 6” tall,

Would your neighbor landlord by chance be a pianist?

Edit: Sheesh! Rick-o, learn to comprehend!

I figure, if I’m going for one typo, might as well be consistent and do it again. Mea culpa. But yeah he truly is taller than 6 inches. A LOT taller. True story.
Posted by: davester
Date: July 29, 2021 05:51PM
I guess that means that your house has not been seismically retrofitted and so is not bolted down to the foundation?

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: July 29, 2021 08:30PM
Jacks? now that the serious discussion has ebbed...

better mix in some queens or the place might collapse like a house of cards

(sorry, obligated to post this,ya know?
Posted by: testcase
Date: July 29, 2021 08:56PM
space-time nailed it.

That's how I would go. old fogey smiley
Date: July 29, 2021 09:47PM
....can one just......jacks........off.....???

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 130
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020