advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Ugh! Where does MS Word store autosave files?
Posted by: PeterB
Date: July 29, 2021 11:55PM
A doc that I was working on, stupidly I undid all the changes I made to it, and then saved it. (My intention was to revert back to the previous version and save that, just so I had a copy of the unaltered file.)

I do have MS Word set to autosave, it's version 16.51, but the page I found showing where it's supposed to be saving the autorecovery copies (here: [support.microsoft.com]), there's no such path... the path is supposed to be:

/Users/<username>/Library/Containers/com.Microsoft/Data/Library/Preferences/AutoRecovery

which instead brings me to the Containers folder, within which there's a com.microsoft.Word folder, but I'm not seeing the autorecovery files within this folder...?

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Ugh! Where does MS Word store autosave files?
Posted by: MartyStickle
Date: July 30, 2021 07:51AM
Time Machine!

Asheville, NC Area
Posted by: PeterB
Date: July 30, 2021 08:04AM
MartyStickle
Time Machine!

Grrrr... Sarcany will understand why I say this.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: Diana
Date: July 30, 2021 09:21AM
I could be wrong (Sarcany will tell us, I’m sure) but I think the Autosave function creates temporary files that get deleted when the file is saved. I’m unsure how it functions with a “save as”. I always thought to use the “save as” file as the changed one, thereby leaving the one I’m working on as essentially unchanged until I saved it (with changes). No changes, then I normally just close the file. It’s just to help save your bacon in the event of a catastrophe

Truthfully I tried to dump Word many years ago. The change-for-change sake, bury the functions that I use with each upgrade, make it different attitude I perceived at that time drove me away from the program.

Hopefully this makes sense. I woke up late and haven’t finished my coffee.

Diana
Posted by: GGD
Date: July 30, 2021 09:43AM
There was a recent thread about this. Unfortunately there are two features that you're confusing with each other. Auto Recovery is for when the app crashes and can recover the changes at the time of the crash, it doesn't persist if you close the file or normally quit the app.

Auto Save is a feature of Office 365 and only works for files in Microsoft's cloud.

[forums.macresource.com]

[support.microsoft.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 85
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020