advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
I have scored a (temporary?) victory against the vermin
Posted by: mattkime
Date: July 30, 2021 10:09AM
Mice. Old house. You're bound to find a mouse inside once in a while. This year they seemed to come early. I found a spot in the basement ceiling where I could catch mice twice a day without fail! I had numerous other traps in the basement that they failed to find. So I get some spray foam and start removing some fiberglass batting insulation from the sill. I definitely found a couple of nests. One dried corpse. One poison trap from who knowns when - WHO SHOVES THOSE THINGS INTO INSULATION AND FORGETS ABOUT THEM. STUPID PEOPLE (PREVIOUS OWNERS) THATS WHO. I manage to unload a full can and hit MOST of the spots I wanted to, but definitely all the tiny nooks and crannies.

12 hours without a mouse or a tripped trap. Will it last? Who knows, but I'll accept this for the time being.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2021 10:10AM by mattkime.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: I have scored a (temporary?) victory against the vermin
Posted by: fromish
Date: July 30, 2021 10:36AM
Good work. Next time shred steel wool and stuff it into the holes leaving most of the cavit open. Spray in the foam, which will hold the steel wool in place. Rodents chew on the steel wool and without the ability to vomit, the steel wool blocks their intestines and kills them. My old, very elderly used to mix plaster of Paris and cornmeal 1::1. The plaster would set up in their intestines killing them
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: July 30, 2021 10:49AM
....get cat......you can foster one for about a month if you don't wanna' keep permanently.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: kurtzie
Date: July 30, 2021 10:52AM
In my garage I leave a roll of paper towels on my work bench. It gives me an early warning that is is time to set the traps again. They love chewing on the paper towels…
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: July 30, 2021 11:36AM
kurtzie
In my garage I leave a roll of paper towels on my work bench. It gives me an early warning that is is time to set the traps again. They love chewing on the paper towels…

It makes perfect nesting material.

It is what it is.
Date: July 30, 2021 01:10PM
fromish
Good work. Next time shred steel wool and stuff it into the holes leaving most of the cavit open.

I thought about doing that but I covered a section of about 8 feet and stuffing steel wool into all the potential cracks seemed tedious - AND - I wasn't certain this was the right spot.

If they chew through I'll use steel wool.
Posted by: August West
Date: July 30, 2021 08:38PM

....get cat......you can foster one for about a month if you don't wanna' keep permanently.....

Your advocacy for pussy-cats is well-recognized, and applauded from this small corner of the world!!

Apologies to the anonymous forum member affected by my previous sig pic. It was my personal pic of a country expressing great grief as their leader, one of the most recognized people in the world, lay on his deathbed 8 years ago, days before he died. Like a naif, I did not realize it was offensively political, I considered it an expression of deep emotion and a reminder of the mortal coil's nature; that we all, great and small, can only hope to make a difference in our short time here, no matter the personal cost.

I'll post another pic from my work in South Africa that is, hopefully, apolitical.

Posted by: davester
Date: July 30, 2021 11:50PM
Getting cats solved all of our rodent problems. The only problem I currently have is picking up an occasional large rat corpse from the front steps.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Date: July 31, 2021 12:22AM
I have two cats but they're prime hunting days are behind them.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 126
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020