Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
FU to putting on a muffler on a crop dusting plane
Posted by: Lizabeth
Date: July 31, 2021 09:14AM
[forums.macresource.com]

Heard some interesting yesterday from a neighbor. Apparently the county BOS slapped a cease and desist on the gliding club giving paid rides to the public while flying up and down the valley. It’s been blissfully quiet for a couple of weeks now. I don’t know if it was “just” for the rides or that the entire operation got shut down but I think just for the rides.

It will be interesting to see if the club fights it or not. Was going to take ride past the place later to see if they’re active today.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: FU to putting on a muffler on a crop dusting plane
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: July 31, 2021 10:37AM

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: jims
Date: July 31, 2021 10:44AM
Sorry for your noise problems, but one persons noise is another persons way of life. As a corporate pilot for more than 30 years and someone that lives in the airport traffic area I miss the noise I used to hear everyday. We have an Air National Guard base on the airport which, has over the years I have been here, flew F100s, F4s, F16s, and A10s. About 5 years ago they pulled the real planes and now they fly drones.

Maybe there can be compromises that can be worked out. When the F4s first came in with their afterburners, they changed the way the traffic pattern could be flown to minimize the noise. There are many things that can be done if both sides will work together. I hope they find a solution that can make residents and aircraft operators happy. I don't know what has been asked of them in your situation, but most pilots don't want to be a nuisance and will modify their flight patterns or stay at higher altitudes if asked.

jims
Posted by: deckeda
Date: July 31, 2021 11:43AM
“I don't know what has been asked of them in your situation, but most pilots don't want to be a nuisance …”

From the original thread quoted above, the club / pilot was contacted numerous times and requests were ignored.

Noise abatement is largely a function of wearing down complainers. There’s a reason why airport neighborhoods aren’t generally great: the poor can’t afford to live elsewhere.

We used to live about 3 miles as the crow files from a dirt track. On Saturday nights you could faintly hear the cars but it was never objectionable. Up close (I went to a race) it was (to me) a symphony, a glorious cacophony of harmonious thunder.

But I could drive away and forget about it, also.
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: July 31, 2021 01:31PM
This battle is really taking shape in our community. We have a very active glider port offering rides, a sky diving operation, and helicopter tours...not to mention a huge increase in private jet traffic.

The jet accident this week has brought all of this activity to the attention of the community and there was a huge outpouring of community concern. The airport board this week announced the cancellation of the plane show this summer, and is now considering more restrictions on the glider and skydive flights.

Pilots often compare airport noise as equivalent to highway noise or train noise. That is a false equivalency. The local highways, and the railroads, serve everyone in the community. The airport does not serve most of our community. The only people flying jets are the ultra rich, think Zuckerberg, and the people in gliders and skydiving are generally tourists. We dont need that kind of tourism...there's that big blue lake and plenty of outdoor adventures.

Don't get me started on noise from off road UTVs!

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: JoeH
Date: July 31, 2021 01:56PM
One thing I took from the original topic was a sense that the airport itself was not the problem. Instead it was that the glider club had taken to doing many low level flights over the neighborhood with the tow plane. There is a big difference between a plane that may may some noise as it climbs out and has its sound diminish as it does so and one flying at a constant low level over an area not right next to the airport.

Also it has been mentioned that this is along a valley, so at low level the noise is going to be more contained and reflecting back from the valley sides. So I don't know if my assumptions from what I have read is correct, but that may explain some of the problems.
Posted by: Lizabeth
Date: July 31, 2021 02:17PM
JoeH
One thing I took from the original topic was a sense that the airport itself was not the problem. Instead it was that the glider club had taken to doing many low level flights over the neighborhood with the tow plane. There is a big difference between a plane that may may some noise as it climbs out and has its sound diminish as it does so and one flying at a constant low level over an area not right next to the airport.

Also it has been mentioned that this is along a valley, so at low level the noise is going to be more contained and reflecting back from the valley sides. So I don't know if my assumptions from what I have read is correct, but that may explain some of the problems.

You are correct…and they were doing towed rides today BUT once they took off they weren’t going up and down the valley like they did before. The noise level was much much better than before. I am in the process of filing a complaint with the FAA about one of the club’s planes that does a couple of low level sweeps of the valley by itself because I am pretty sure it’s operating under the 500 foot deck. There’s no reason for them to do that.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 138
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020