advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Who took drafting and what do you think about it now?
Posted by: lost in space
Date: August 02, 2021 12:23PM
The thread down page about Pica Dry got me thinking about my drafting class in 8th grade. Sixty years later, although I don't do much drafting, its principals are still useful, mostly in how I see objects. Looking back, it's been one of the more influential classes I had in middle school, along with wood shop, English composition, and algebra (pre new math). Our drafting teacher was a real PITA stickler for detail, but that made him a good teacher for that class. How about y'all?

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Who took drafting and what do you think about it now?
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: August 02, 2021 12:35PM
I had to take it in college. It was probably the last year engineers were required to take manual drafting (just my luck), and the incompetent professor (BS Engineering, MA Education, EdD, insisted on being called "Doctor") didn't understand and so didn't teach AutoCAD.

I hated it, although I'm glad I did pick up the principles of 3-views and such. But I can't draw and was never a threat to be a legitimate draftsman. That Spring Break, after the class was done, I ceremonially torched my T-Square on the beach...
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: August 02, 2021 01:00PM
Like Will, I took it in college - one quarter of manual drafting and one quarter of CAD. This was long enough ago that AutoCAD was only one of three different CAD systems we studied in that class (the other two were client-server based and were long ago relegated to the dustbin of history).

Unlike Will, I still have my equipment - it was too nice (and too expensive!) to destroy. Over the years I've tried to give it away, but... well, you know.

It is what it is.
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: August 02, 2021 01:22PM
Did nothing for me, in 7th grade. I don't have the kind of hand-eye coordination and patience that seemed necessary...
Posted by: JoeM
Date: August 02, 2021 01:28PM
I had two years of mechanical drawing in HS and was lucky to get a position with NYC DOT as work study in my freshman year of college. My HS teacher was an excellent instructor and the fact that my older brother was a draftsman really helped me become enthusiastic about it. I loved working at the DOT and got to draw up plans for changes to FDR Drive, NYC/ Queens bus routes and a top secret Mayor’s project to embed gold bricks outlining cross street numbers along 5th Ave in the 50s. I actually got to deliver the drawing to a big wig party on the East side where top city politicians were planning the project (it ultimately got shelved). After my initial work study period was over I was offered a full time job with the DOT as a junior draftsman but had to turn it down as I got drafted before I could start.

JoeM
Posted by: freeradical
Date: August 02, 2021 01:28PM
It was my favorite part of shop class I took back when I was a kid.
Posted by: Ammo
Date: August 02, 2021 01:31PM
LIS, you and I must be very close in age. I chose drafting along with woodshop, plastics (stupid), graphics (set metal type and developed photos), and metal shop (kind of scary to have 7th graders welding with a torch). Except plastics, I loved every one of them even though I planned to go to college. Such a shame shop classes are so limited now. Drafting taught me manual dexterity (roll that pencil as you drew a uniform width line) and the ability to visualize in 3 dimensions.

Where is there dignity unless there is also honesty? - Cicero

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2021 01:31PM by Ammo.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: August 02, 2021 01:44PM
Took it pre-computer, and loved it.

I'm not an engineer, but it was a fascinating and educational window into the craft and precision of that field.
Posted by: neophyte
Date: August 02, 2021 02:08PM
I remember the seemingly endless pencil sharpening to ensure every line segment had the EXACT same width. Very annoying. The only things I still have 55 years later are the 30-60-90 and 45x2-90 triangles. CAD had not yet been invented afaik.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: August 02, 2021 02:15PM
Took it one half year in junior high, don't recall which year. As a basic introduction I learned the concepts and that made reading drawings easier later one. But the area of engineering I studied did not require drafting, so never took it farther.

The university I later worked for had drafting labs for teaching it in the engineering school. But that ended by the late '70s and those high ceilinged rooms with northern exposure for windows were converted to regular classrooms and other uses.
Posted by: raz
Date: August 02, 2021 02:21PM
I spent freshman year flunking out as an architecture major. High School drafting was fun, but nowhere near what I would need the next year.

--------------

Embarassing myself on the Internet since 1978.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 02, 2021 02:48PM
....many may have dodged......the draft.......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: rgG
Date: August 02, 2021 03:14PM
I still make my eights as two stacked 0’s, as per required in my drafting class. smiling smiley
I took drafting my senior year in HS and it got me my first after school and summer job, drafting tax assessment maps.
I can’t remember if I was the only girl in the class or not.
I really enjoyed drafting.
It probably helped later with my graphic design classes in college.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: August 02, 2021 03:22PM
agree smiley

I got through drafting in 7th grade okay.

As above, it helped a lot with manual graphic design work through high school yearbook and into college graphic design classes. I was even able to do some modifications to our home plans we purchased from Sunset magazine affiliate back in 1989.

Then everything became digital and life has been so much easier!

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: Speedy
Date: August 02, 2021 03:25PM
Like rgG, I still follow text printing methods I learned in 8th grade drafting the year Kennedy was assasinated. Our school year was divided into sixths. Freehand drafting was 1/6th followed by another 1/6th using instruments.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: August 02, 2021 03:51PM
I had to take it for my apprenticeship industrial carpenter trade. I couldn't wait for that class to end. I haven't touched any of my drafting equipment since.

I didn't enjoy the class, but it did help me with reading blueprints on the job.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: lost in space
Date: August 02, 2021 03:51PM
Ammo
LIS, you and I must be very close in age. I chose drafting along with woodshop, plastics (stupid), graphics (set metal type and developed photos), and metal shop (kind of scary to have 7th graders welding with a torch). Except plastics, I loved every one of them even though I planned to go to college. Such a shame shop classes are so limited now. Drafting taught me manual dexterity (roll that pencil as you drew a uniform width line) and the ability to visualize in 3 dimensions.

I was in 8th grade in '63-'63. A vintage year.

Posted by: Rick-o
Date: August 02, 2021 03:55PM
lost in space
Ammo

I was in 8th grade in '63-'63. A vintage year.

Did you get kicked out before the new year?

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: August 02, 2021 06:21PM
Took five years of it, loved that class but knew my math was nowhere strong enough to make it a career choice.

Then I was tasked with teaching it when our school drafting teacher had to suddenly "retire" (he told the school nurse to take his temperature with her tongue). I did great with the drafting one class that was still paper-based. The upper classes schooled me in CAD.

CAD is great but nowhere near as rewarding as successfully completing a pen-drawn final.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Date: August 02, 2021 07:37PM
neophyte
I remember the seemingly endless pencil sharpening to ensure every line segment had the EXACT same width. Very annoying. The only things I still have 55 years later are the 30-60-90 and 45x2-90 triangles. CAD had not yet been invented afaik.

Two words: Mechanical pencils.

It is what it is.
Date: August 02, 2021 07:40PM
Ombligo
Then I was tasked with teaching it when our school drafting teacher had to suddenly "retire" (he told the school nurse to take his temperature with her tongue).

Oral or... ?

It is what it is.
Posted by: steve...
Date: August 02, 2021 07:49PM
I had a few drafting classes in High School and liked it. In college, I took one class - Technical Illustration which covered isometric, perspective and other types of drawing. Soon after I started taking art classes. Instead of a bunch of guys in a quiet classroom, there was lots of noise and excitement and women!

Years later I was doing freelance illustration and what I had learned in college was a BIG help. I still had my compasses, triangles, books, etc. and ended up buying even more gadgets like a set of big circle/elipse guides and rapidograph pens.

When I began working digitally, my knowledge of isometric and perspective drawing was very helpful in doing vector linework in Illustrator. I've never used CAD software.

Northern California Coast
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: August 02, 2021 09:36PM
Junior high, then college engineering requirement. Used a drafting board at work for a year. Then we got these Mentor Graphic Cad/Cam systems in 1983. Multi window system, mouse, concurrent processes. Drafting, circuit board design, circuit capture. I wrote a program to take a circuit capture and turn it into a program to run the stitch weld machine to make flight capable prototype circuit boards for the F-5 radar and the Combat Talon II radar (A hyped up C-130 flown by insane special ops people). The whole OS ran on PASCAL. I wrote a lot of PASCAL for a few years. And FORTRAN. And Assembler (Z-80 and PDP). And even started writing some ADA, which was a weird language.

Defense R&D was a real rollercoaster ride.

Found myself using a drafting board on a temp assignment 13 years later changing prints in an electrical relay manufacturer. Then back to CAD at my current company, but it wasn’t really my job so I just noodled.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2021 09:38PM by cbelt3.
Posted by: Cary
Date: August 02, 2021 09:50PM
Junior high school drafting class here. Really liked it, except for erasing mistakes.

I have no graphical talent, but have used consumer grade cad for a couple of home projects. Much easier than pencil and drafting tools.
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: August 03, 2021 07:48AM
Ammo
Such a shame shop classes are so limited now.
agree smiley
iirc, shop teachers also taught us to utilize common sense and to
'think thru a problem' vs rote.

Dad was in the construction biz; so Drafting, Geometry, & Algebra were
must be A's classes. Got me a summer internship @ a structural
engineering firm which got me exposed to the IBM System/360 and Fortran.

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

DuckDuckGo
The search engine that doesn't track you.

DemComm Records 2021 Greatest Hits
includes:
Taxman by Joe & Nancy's Rich Ice Cream Band
The Humpty Dance by The Harris-Brown Hookup
Lets Spend The Night Together by The Fang-Swalwell Gang
Díaz-Canel Is A Friend of Ours by The AOC Squad
My Old Kentucky Retirement Home by MitchMcC & The Soggy Boxer Boys
Burning Down The House by Merrick & The Goons
Back In the USSR by Bernie's Red Square Trio

patriot smiley
Date: August 03, 2021 09:13AM
cbelt3
And even started writing some ADA, which was a weird language.

Whose Ada were you using? On which platform?

--------------

Posted by: rgG
Date: August 03, 2021 09:42AM
I wanted to take wood shop instead of drafting, but my father was afraid I would cut my fingers off. RollingEyesSmiley5

Imagine his surprise when my sculpture class in college had me using a band saw. grinning smiley

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: August 03, 2021 10:37AM
All of our high schools have fully equipped wood and welding shops. They have not been used in at least 10 years because insurance would not cover them.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: August 03, 2021 11:00AM
Ombligo
All of our high schools have fully equipped wood and welding shops. They have not been used in at least 10 years because insurance would not cover them.

The insurance the school board would pay for would not cover them is more likely the case.
Posted by: testcase
Date: August 03, 2021 11:44AM
Mid-60s, Freshman year at Brooklyn Technical HS. Drafting was one of my favorite classes as was IP (Industrial Processes, teacher William Clarvit) I did several drafting projects on my own later. Foundry was another cool class. Loved metal shop, hated Woodworking (tools were dull and the teached never borhered to teach students how to properly sharpen said tools.

High School is SO important but, SO many school districts do a poor job of it. Really GOOD teachers deserve SO much more from their school districts. sad smiley
Date: August 03, 2021 12:08PM
testcase
Mid-60s, Freshman year at Brooklyn Technical HS. Drafting was one of my favorite classes as was IP (Industrial Processes, teacher William Clarvit) I did several drafting projects on my own later. Foundry was another cool class. Loved metal shop, hated Woodworking (tools were dull and the teached never borhered to teach students how to properly sharpen said tools.

High School is SO important but, SO many school districts do a poor job of it. Really GOOD teachers deserve SO much more from their school districts. sad smiley

Brooklyn Tech is, of course, an exceptional High School - even if it pales in comparison with Science (smiling smiley). It's not quite fair to use a school where every student is there to learn versus a school where a large percentage of the effort is merely babysitting.

--------------

Date: August 03, 2021 03:00PM
.....PEN_CIL......must be.....thin.............nest.......

Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: August 03, 2021 09:03PM
French Curves
Date: August 03, 2021 09:54PM
......on draft when riding bike......but you have to look at the person's butt in front of you......

Posted by: zachdog
Date: August 04, 2021 07:57AM
I have an architecture degree from the mid 90s, right before CAD became mainstream. All of our professors were older, artisan, and expected freehand or drafted drawings.

A couple of my classmates started using computer drawing programs, and I remember one professor (who was French and very old-school) demeaned those projects in front of one of our juries. That professor retired before the end of the decade when the dean made a complete switch to embracing computers.

I’m in nonprofit work now, but I still hand-draw meeting spaces, floor plans, diagrams, and maps. I did work in the architecture field for a few years, using CAD, but hand drawing has always been faster for me. And yes, drafting was one of my favorite skills to learn.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 87
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020