advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
10th Grade starts next week, but during open house today we learned that might not happen.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: August 02, 2021 03:51PM
We homeschooled her last year. The school demands she now take tests in every subject — tomorrow morning — in order to prove she learned 9th Grade. No pressure there!

Needless to say this expectation was not communicated to us last year when all this began.

It’s not as if she took 9th Grade via YouTube. We purchased an accredited set of courses, which she passed.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: 10th Grade starts next week, but during open house today we learned that might not happen.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: August 02, 2021 03:57PM
It will be fine. The test is probably going to be easier than whatever you all worked on.
Re: 10th Grade starts next week, but during open house today we learned that might not happen.
Date: August 02, 2021 04:11PM
I hope so because this afternoon she’s in freak out mode.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: August 02, 2021 04:19PM
Pretty standard for a student coming in from homeschool or even private schools. For a student going into 10th, they are likely placement tests more than anything. While I'm not insinuating you in any way, we get homeschool kids who can't do basic math and are functionally illiterate. The parents didn't do squat and then the school is judged by what they can or can't do. It is really fun when you get a senior like that.

We also get some who test out of the curriculum but are still required to sit through the class. That is to satisfy the state, but we get the blame.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: August 02, 2021 04:26PM
deckeda

I know kids that are total goof offs that still pass yearly tests. The bar isn't that high. If she is a conscientious student that paid half of the attention she needed to, she'll be fine. Just read each question slowly and carefully and watch out for trap questions such as "all of the above" and it will be fine.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Date: August 02, 2021 04:52PM
She can expect questions like:

Pearl Harbor was attacked by:
a) The Austrian Hungarian Empire
b) Imperial Japan
c) The United States
d) MAVIC

Chlorophyll can be found in
a) Rocks
b) Animals
c) Plants
d) MAVIC

If you multiply the square root of 100 by itself, your answer would be
a) 10
b) 100
c) Pi
d) MAVIC

Seriously, my job is to give state assessments - they are designed to be passed by complete nimrods (and many still fail)

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”

Posted by: tlh828
Date: August 02, 2021 05:15PM
If mighty hunters can pass, she can pass.
Date: August 02, 2021 05:27PM
We went into this 2 weeks ago, when we signed her up that she’d be in honors classes again like she was in 8th Grade and then took equivalent honors 9th curriculum thru the company we went with because the school district didn’t bother to pay enough money for an online honors curriculum of their own.

I appreciate the words of encouragement. That MAVIC sure does sound concerning throughout history tho.
Posted by: hal
Date: August 02, 2021 05:45PM
Ombligo
Pretty standard for a student coming in from homeschool or even private schools. For a student going into 10th, they are likely placement tests more than anything. While I'm not insinuating you in any way, we get homeschool kids who can't do basic math and are functionally illiterate. The parents didn't do squat and then the school is judged by what they can or can't do. It is really fun when you get a senior like that.

We also get some who test out of the curriculum but are still required to sit through the class. That is to satisfy the state, but we get the blame.

I can understand decs annoyance at this, but Ombligo's explanation is really quite comforting. It's good to know that there is SOME kind of check on these kids to make sure they are actually getting educated and not indoctrinated into some crazy cult or somethin'...
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: August 02, 2021 05:49PM
pRICE cUBE
I know kids that are total goof offs that still pass yearly tests.

How is the Rock, BTW?
Posted by: graylocks
Date: August 02, 2021 05:51PM
hal
It's good to know that there is SOME kind of check on these kids to make sure they are actually getting educated and not indoctrinated into some crazy cult or somethin'...

Hey, watch it! I homeschooled my son. The only crazy cult i introduced him to is MRF. To this day he'll ask Well, what does your Mac board think?

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: August 02, 2021 05:54PM
deckeda

Which means that she will ace this test. That means she actually paid attention last year and learned something as it's important to her. Important enough to freak out.

She will do fantastic.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: August 02, 2021 05:57PM
graylocks
hal
It's good to know that there is SOME kind of check on these kids to make sure they are actually getting educated and not indoctrinated into some crazy cult or somethin'...

Hey, watch it! I homeschooled my son. The only crazy cult i introduced him to is MRF. To this day he'll ask Well, what does your Mac board think?

Wise child!

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: August 02, 2021 05:59PM
do let us now how it goes for her, deckeda.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Date: August 02, 2021 06:20PM
graylocks
do let us now how it goes for her, deckeda.

Of she has to re-do 9th Grade I intended to compel MRF to personally tutor her. And I already have a few names to draw from, it seems! grinning smiley
Posted by: rgG
Date: August 02, 2021 06:32PM
If I were her I would be freaked out, too, not because I doubt for a millisecond she will pass but because it was a curve ball she wasn’t expecting.
Best of luck to her.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: August 02, 2021 07:25PM
I was skimming and for a moment this looked like...

Ombligo

b) Imperial Japan
c) The United States
d) MAVIC

Chernobyl can be found in
a) Rocks
b) Animals
c) Plants
d) MAVIC...

Date: August 02, 2021 07:46PM
One piece of advice to her - don't overthink it. Go with the answer you believe is right and expect every other half-intelligent kid to believe is right as well. Sometimes the smartest student has the hardest time because they can't dumb down their thinking.

Posted by: DP
Date: August 02, 2021 08:21PM
do let us now

Uh, oh-GL has to take the test now!

A throwback image to celebrate Autumn.

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Date: August 02, 2021 08:51PM
DP
do let us now

Uh, oh-GL has to take the test now!

no, Siri and autocorrect have to take it!

Posted by: PeterB
Date: August 02, 2021 09:35PM
Ombligo

b) Imperial Japan
c) The United States
d) MAVIC

How can you prove that MAVIC didn't time-travel and participate in the attack? Therefore your question has two possible right answers.

Ombligo
a) Rocks
b) Animals
c) Plants
d) MAVIC

You cannot disprove the hypothesis that MAVIC is a photosynthetic being. Therefore your question has two possible right answers.

Ombligo
a) 10
b) 100
c) Pi
d) MAVIC

MAVIC, being an undefined number, can represent any other number. Therefore your question has two possible right answers.

Ombligo
Seriously, my job is to give state assessments - they are designed to be passed by complete nimrods (and many still fail)

This is the problem with MC assessments. They often have multiple right answers. grinning smiley

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: datbeme
Date: August 02, 2021 09:49PM
Uhhhh. I remember taking some tests to enter 8th grade from another state. No big deal, but there were a couple of long division problems that rattled me a bit. No instructions about procedure or decimal places, and I took a few problems out pretty far (probably 6+ decimal places because I was expecting a neat and tidy solution, and it never developed). To this day, I don't know if I made a mistake that led to this or if I just should have stopped at two decimal places and called it a day. Bastards. I've always been good at math, but for me this is a great unknown.

That said, I think I was placed in the right level, so rest assured, it will all work out in the end!
Date: August 02, 2021 10:49PM
Ombligo

b) Imperial Japan
c) The United States
d) MAVIC

a) Rocks
b) Animals
c) Plants
d) MAVIC

a) 10
b) 100
c) Pi
d) MAVIC

The answers are all obviously D.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Date: August 02, 2021 11:08PM
Lux Interior
pRICE cUBE
I know kids that are total goof offs that still pass yearly tests.

How is the Rock, BTW?

Doing fine, busy as ever.

Posted by: Racer X
Date: August 03, 2021 12:32AM
MAVIC eats healthy. Pretty sure he is full of chlorophyll,

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Date: August 03, 2021 09:36AM
My daughter and I are both over thinkers and can usually find a way to make almost any of the answers work in some situation. We know that it is most likely the first answer we would pick, but we almost always go back and try to find a way to second guess ourselves. RollingEyesSmiley5

Multiple choice tests were the ban of my existence. The ones with answers like, all of the above, none of the above, A&B, B&C, etc would have me tied in a knot.

Date: August 03, 2021 11:00AM
rgG
My daughter and I are both over thinkers and can usually find a way to make almost any of the answers work in some situation. We know that it is most likely the first answer we would pick, but we almost always go back and try to find a way to second guess ourselves. RollingEyesSmiley5

Multiple choice tests were the ban of my existence. The ones with answers like, all of the above, none of the above, A&B, B&C, etc would have me tied in a knot.

a good friend of mine is a philosophy professor. I used to tease her that questions requiring a yes or no answer could send her into an existential meltdown.

Date: August 03, 2021 12:45PM
graylocks
rgG

a good friend of mine is a philosophy professor. I used to tease her that questions requiring a yes or no answer could send her into an existential meltdown.

Lol. So true.

Posted by: Michael
Date: August 04, 2021 03:35PM
pRICE cUBE
Ombligo

b) Imperial Japan
c) The United States
d) MAVIC

a) Rocks
b) Animals
c) Plants
d) MAVIC

a) 10
b) 100
c) Pi
d) MAVIC

The answers are all obviously D.

That's what I answered.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: August 04, 2021 03:48PM
datbeme
Uhhhh. I remember taking some tests to enter 8th grade from another state. No big deal, but there were a couple of long division problems that rattled me a bit. No instructions about procedure or decimal places, and I took a few problems out pretty far (probably 6+ decimal places because I was expecting a neat and tidy solution, and it never developed). To this day, I don't know if I made a mistake that led to this or if I just should have stopped at two decimal places and called it a day. Bastards. I've always been good at math, but for me this is a great unknown.

That said, I think I was placed in the right level, so rest assured, it will all work out in the end!

No decimal places in the answer, just a remainder.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: August 05, 2021 12:28PM
PeterB
Ombligo

b) Imperial Japan
c) The United States
d) MAVIC

How can you prove that MAVIC didn't time-travel and participate in the attack? Therefore your question has two possible right answers.

Ombligo
a) Rocks
b) Animals
c) Plants
d) MAVIC

You cannot disprove the hypothesis that MAVIC is a photosynthetic being. Therefore your question has two possible right answers.

Ombligo
a) 10
b) 100
c) Pi
d) MAVIC

MAVIC, being an undefined number, can represent any other number. Therefore your question has two possible right answers.

Ombligo

This is the problem with MC assessments. They often have multiple right answers. grinning smiley

It happened on a SAT exam in the 80's on the math part. Forget the details, but they had to revise test scores after the error was found.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 103
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020