advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Molson - Coors dropping 11 brands
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: August 02, 2021 05:01PM
Molson-Coors announced it is dropping 11 brands of swill .. err .. beer (it's word not mine).

Miller High Life Light
Milwaukee's Best Premium (boy, is that ever an oxymoron)
Keystone Ice
Keylightful
Icehouse Edge
Mickey's Ice
Hamm's Special Light
Steel Reserve 211
Olde English HG 800
Magnum
Henry Weinhard's Private Reserve

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Molson - Coors dropping 11 brands
Posted by: timg
Date: August 02, 2021 05:23PM
don't see anything on the list that would be a great loss.

Skill without imagination is craftsmanship. Imagination without skill is Modern Art.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: August 02, 2021 05:34PM
Huh. Turns out that dreck doesn’t sell very well.
Posted by: hal
Date: August 02, 2021 05:42PM
"Henry Weinhard's Private Reserve" I can't believe that brand is still around...
Posted by: mattkime
Date: August 02, 2021 05:47PM
I wonder what the target market was.

Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: August 02, 2021 05:48PM
Miller High Life Light

?

I admit to buying some High Life recently, as a "light" summer hot weather beer, but I can't for the life of me understand how it could be lighter.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: August 02, 2021 06:03PM
mrbigstuff
I admit to buying some High Life recently, as a "light" summer hot weather beer, but I can't for the life of me understand how it could be lighter.

You've heard the old saw about renting beer, not buying it? Throw in a pinch of recycling for good measure and...

It is what it is.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 02, 2021 06:07PM
....wonder what was the coors (cause)......???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Speedy
Date: August 02, 2021 06:08PM
Hamm’s? Loved the Hamm’s bear commercials during the ball game on TV.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: August 02, 2021 06:33PM
hal
"Henry Weinhard's Private Reserve" I can't believe that brand is still around...

In my book, they had quite a few winners back in the day. their Dark, and blackberry wheat were good, and their Light wasn't light on flavor. Back then, they were still a Pacific NW beer from Portland. We were drinking it when they had bottling numbers on the neck label.

One of my go to bulk beers. VERY sad to see them go. I think when they got bought and moved HQ, that was the beginning of the end. Their flavors fit the PNW palate, for mass produced beers. I miss Olympia Dark too. Long gone.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: August 02, 2021 06:42PM
hal

That was somewhat the brand of choice in my college days...that collection of numbered bottles sitting on the shelf in my dorm room ('79ish)

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: DinerDave
Date: August 02, 2021 07:02PM
Most I have not even heard of, and I don't sell any of them.

My suppliers are all franchises, never heard them even mention those particular brands.
Must have been available in certain areas, not wide spread

Dave

Welcome to Dave's BBQ!

Many have eaten here....

Few have died
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: August 02, 2021 07:13PM
What took them so long?

Miller Light used to be popular in Arkansas and SE Oklahoma.
Date: August 02, 2021 07:25PM
Racer X
I miss Olympia Dark too. Long gone.

Olympia was my dad's favorite beer poison of choice. I never knew they made a dark version.

It is what it is.
Date: August 02, 2021 07:26PM
Dennis S

Miller Lite and Miller High Life Lite are two different beers.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: August 02, 2021 07:31PM
comes out as it goes in.
not worth using to wash my dog poo'd sneaks

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is standing or sleeping on my keyboard.
Posted by: MikeF
Date: August 02, 2021 07:36PM
I'm surprised Disney hasn't previously sued over "Mickey's Ice".

Although, now that the name is open...
Posted by: Rolando
Date: August 02, 2021 07:37PM
deckeda
Huh. Turns out that dreck doesn’t sell very well.

Top Selling Beers in US
5. Corona Extra
4. Miller Lite (NOT "High Life Light")
3.Budweiser
2.Coors Light
1.Bud Light

All dreck to me.
Note Corona is the only beer not calling itself "light". Its pretty light for a Mexican beer, and there is a "Corona Light" available for los Yanquis!

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: Thrift Store Scott
Date: August 02, 2021 07:50PM
N-OS X-tasy!
Dennis S

That was going to be my question.

WARNING- If I posted a link in the above message, assume it is at minimum "NSFW- Language". Occasionally you'll be wrong.

Lie to me if you must, but don't lie to me and insult my intelligence in the same sentence.

Resist the Thought Police: George Orwell's book 1984 was meant as a warning, not an instruction manual.

"Political correctness is just intellectual colonialism and psychological fascism for the creation of thought crime" - Steve Hughes

What's my "Super Power"? I can make active threads go stone-dead with a single post. I try to use this power only for good and not for evil but, you know... stuff happens.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: August 02, 2021 08:02PM
Markintosh
hal
That was somewhat the brand of choice in my college days...that collection of numbered bottles sitting on the shelf in my dorm room ('79ish)

Similar for me, likely in the top three for total number of any one product line that I imbibed between 1975 and 1985. I think the main reason I stopped drinking it was it stopped going on sale at the grocery stores I regularly frequented.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Date: August 02, 2021 08:10PM
N-OS X-tasy!
Racer X
I miss Olympia Dark too. Long gone.

Olympia was my dad's favorite beer poison of choice. I never knew they made a dark version.

Oly Dark was keg only. I found out about it one one of my many tours of the Oly brewery. I ordered it in for my beer bar (featured with mini on the DealMac project)

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Date: August 02, 2021 08:13PM
Thrift Store Scott
N-OS X-tasy!
Dennis S

That was going to be my question.

And then Miller Genuine Draft, which tasted different than Miller Genuine Draft draft, which I used to buy for my beer bar. I rotated MGD, Oly Dark and Henry's Dark in the beer bar, and Bud if we had parties, with better beer on bottles in the Coke vending machine, or later on, in the soda can machine we stole from Sandpoint Naval Air Station.

Date: August 02, 2021 08:20PM
I recall a college party where the host bought a keg of Hamm's. We took up a collection and bought some cases of beer. The next morning the keg was still full.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”

Posted by: numbered
Date: August 02, 2021 08:36PM
Racer X
Oly Dark was keg only. I found out about it one one of my many tours of the Oly brewery.

Oly Dark was spectacular.

Seriously, in the days when the only craft beer in America was Anchor Steam, Oly Dark was amazing. It was available at a few Bay Area watering holes. It tasted like something. Maybe I did not know enough so it would be fun to taste it again, alas.
Date: August 02, 2021 10:47PM
The cool thing was that it wasn't loaded with hops' It had almost a toasted oats and caramel note . It was awesome as a beef braising liquid. The only thing similar that I know of was Michelobe Dark. That might be gone too.

Dark without excessive hops is getting hard to find. Scottish ale is somewhat similar.

Date: August 02, 2021 10:55PM
QFT

Racer X
The cool thing was that it wasn't loaded with hops' It had almost a toasted oats and caramel note . It was awesome as a beef braising liquid. The only thing similar that I know of was Michelobe Dark. That might be gone too.

Dark without excessive hops is getting hard to find. Scottish ale is somewhat similar.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Posted by: JoeH
Date: August 03, 2021 02:19AM
Racer X

Michelob Dark has been gone for quite a while. At some point they started selling a similar recipe beer called Michelob Classic Dark, but it was not the same, and that also is no longer being produced.
Date: August 03, 2021 03:39AM
when the Zima hard seltzer craze dies out, which it is starting to do, macro brew selection is going to be sparse.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2021 03:39AM by Racer X.
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: August 03, 2021 07:18AM
Top Selling Beers in US
5. Corona Extra

...and Corona is a subsidiary of Anheuser-Busch InBev!

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

DuckDuckGo
The search engine that doesn't track you.

DemComm Records 2021 Greatest Hits
includes:
Taxman by Joe & Nancy's Rich Ice Cream Band
The Humpty Dance by The Harris-Brown Hookup
Lets Spend The Night Together by The Fang-Swalwell Gang
Díaz-Canel Is A Friend of Ours by The AOC Squad
My Old Kentucky Retirement Home by MitchMcC & The Soggy Boxer Boys
Burning Down The House by Merrick & The Goons
Back In the USSR by Bernie's Red Square Trio

patriot smiley
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: August 03, 2021 09:21AM
Not Mickeys! All of those are the cheapest of the cheap and typically sold as 40s in gas stations.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: testcase
Date: August 03, 2021 11:23AM
As if it really matters. sleepy smiley
Posted by: pqrst
Date: August 03, 2021 12:16PM
I’d make a bet that we’ll see one or more brands come back in limited editions in years to come. They can print up and fabricate cans easily. And fill them with a generic light beer and call it “ old is new again.”
Date: August 03, 2021 12:44PM
pqrst
They can print up and fabricate cans easily. And fill them with a generic light beer and call it “ old is new again.” any of the names on the list

What do you think they've been doing? The big savings in this cut isn't the beer, it is the cost of printing different labels for that same beer.

Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: August 03, 2021 02:00PM
hal

They did have some great commercials...

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

I couldn't find my favorite that ends with a crazy old man in 1880s saloon says "In the future, only little girls will ride horses."
Posted by: Buzz
Date: August 03, 2021 04:11PM
Henry Weinhard's Irish Ale, aka "Henry's/Hank's Green" (because of its distinctive green bottles and labels) was a phenomenal cheap bottle of beer back in the day. We had to bootleg it into L.A., as they didn't make enough for all markets. Eventually, as they were able to increase production, it was more available around the West. Their foray into craft sodas was also a tasty treat; root beer, wild cherry, orange, cream.... while they lasted. Yummy, and pricey..... I justified the sodas by mentally averaging in the cost of Hank's Green. The Green cost just a touch more than Bud, Coors, etc., but was way better, and hence a total bargain. Actually, they called it "Ireland Style", and a lot of purists in the day (myself included) thought that it really didn't taste totally "Irish" by any means, but I sloughed that off because they used the word "Style". It was just a great, well priced bottle of beer, by whatever name they chose to call it.

(Damn, trying to find a pic of the old Green stuff is just about impossible!)

Since my beer drinking days were cut short in the mid 90's by my neuro crud, I haven't kept up w/ all the who's who in the beer markets. When I hear "Mickey's", I again think of a green (but keg shaped) bottle of Mickey's Big Mouth Malt Liquor from 50 years ago.... "Malt Liquor does it quicker...." (w/ its higher level of alcohol)

==
Date: August 03, 2021 06:19PM
It was a bad day when I was introduced to Mickey's Big Mouth in my freshman year of college...17 years old and pretty irresponsible about my drinking...fortunately I moved on to that "expensive" Henry's.

Date: August 03, 2021 10:03PM
......so can no longer......tap that.....??

Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: August 04, 2021 12:52AM
pqrst
I’d make a bet that we’ll see one or more brands come back in limited editions in years to come. They can print up and fabricate cans easily. And fill them with a generic light beer and call it “ old is new again.”

Yep.

Date: August 04, 2021 01:52AM
Honestly, of all those dropped, I really think Henry's was a mistake.

They could have focused on it and revived sales. As I see the prices of micro brews going for $10 for a six pack, they could produce a quality macrobrew and sell it for $6-7 easy.

Date: August 04, 2021 11:13AM
....so.....Hanks.....for the memories......

Date: August 05, 2021 11:34AM
NewtonMP2100
....so.....Hanks.....for the memories......

yes. there are so many memories from Sea Scouts, which is when we started to drink Henry's. I even have a Skil circular saw steel carrying case that fits a 12 pack of bottles we used to bring a half rack aboard, and hide it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 111
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020