advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
She got into 10 Grade, but no honors courses. Two days of wailing and moaning didn't help.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: August 04, 2021 02:36PM
[forums.macresource.com]

Time to move on.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: She got into 10 Grade, but no honors courses. Two days of wailing and moaning didn't help.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: August 04, 2021 02:43PM
No honors courses based solely on the test, or that she was home schooled? I suppose you may not know, given how these decisions are made.
Re: She got into 10 Grade, but no honors courses. Two days of wailing and moaning didn't help.
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: August 04, 2021 03:26PM
Honors courses? Who cares...she can slow down and do the regular work and still have a life in 10th grade.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: p8712
Date: August 04, 2021 03:29PM
They’ll figure out that she’s smart enough for honors classes soon enough.
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: August 04, 2021 03:38PM
She'll do well this year and can take AP/honors courses for the next 2 years and still get into a great* college.

* Warning: "great" = expensive
Posted by: Acer
Date: August 04, 2021 03:39PM
Bigger deal if one is expecting to use the honors coursework for college credit or to qualify for academic scholarships.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: August 04, 2021 03:58PM
They average the grades between whatever she did this past year with tests from the last 2 days ...

The honors courses are less about her potentially getting into a "better" collage" than they are with challenging her more in school and not getting bored with it all.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: August 04, 2021 04:41PM
Honors courses affect class rank (AP courses more so still). But universities are judging less on those factors now, although they do still figure into the equation, depending upon the school.
Posted by: rgG
Date: August 04, 2021 04:59PM
Glad she got into 10th grade, that’s the big hurdle.
This year will probably be a challenge for a lot if students because of last year being such a challenge with all that was going on with Covid.
She can try for AP classes next year, but I get her not being happy about this year.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: August 04, 2021 05:21PM
With the way this school year is shaping up, being alive without any long term illness will be a major accomplishment. AP classes and student organizations can bolster a high school resume.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Posted by: Gareth
Date: August 04, 2021 05:42PM
deckeda
The honors courses are less about her potentially getting into a "better" collage" than they are with challenging her more in school and not getting bored with it all.

I can vouch for that. When I moved to middle school in 6th grade I got put into "remedial" math class (ok, it wasn't remedial, but it was the lowest class offered). I was so bored I was essentially failing that class. A couple weeks later someone realized the mistake and I got moved up and did great in my new class. Hopefully with a little more age and wisdom, your daughter will do well even if she is bored.
Posted by: Janit
Date: August 04, 2021 05:58PM
Ask for the syllabuses from the honors classes -- or whatever material you can get out of them. If she gets bored, maybe she can do extra work.

I know, easier said than done.
Posted by: numbered
Date: August 04, 2021 05:59PM
Gareth
When I moved to middle school in 6th grade I got put into "remedial" math class (ok, it wasn't remedial, but it was the lowest class offered

I have seen this happen and if often has more to do with class size and teacher load than student performance. You were lucky that the school was willing to act. Lots of principals would not.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: August 04, 2021 06:04PM
When I advise kids the gist of it is:

Don't take honors courses, colleges don't really care because there are no standards except for what the teacher decides.

If you are looking at a state school, take as much dual enrollment as you can. You get both college and high school credit for the course. They are generally easier than the high school course too.

If you plan to go to a private school or leave your state, then take AP courses as they apply better. I'm not a big fan of AP classes in general though. No matter how good you do in the course, it still all comes down to one test for college credit.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: August 04, 2021 06:31PM
Well said Ombligo!

Ombligo
When I advise kids the gist of it is:

Don't take honors courses, colleges don't really care because there are no standards except for what the teacher decides.

If you are looking at a state school, take as much dual enrollment as you can. You get both college and high school credit for the course. They are generally easier than the high school course too.

If you plan to go to a private school or leave your state, then take AP courses as they apply better. I'm not a big fan of AP classes in general though. No matter how good you do in the course, it still all comes down to one test for college credit.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: August 04, 2021 06:36PM
numbered
Gareth
When I moved to middle school in 6th grade I got put into "remedial" math class (ok, it wasn't remedial, but it was the lowest class offered

I have seen this happen and if often has more to do with class size and teacher load than student performance. You were lucky that the school was willing to act. Lots of principals would not.

I was stuck with exactly this in HS Physics (Physics with no Math: imagine how you would teach that) as I transferred to a new school district late and there were no spots.

But clearly my expert level of laziness had prepared me for this moment in time as I finally understood a HS class from start to finish, yet was so bored with the homework that I usually did it in the 5 min between classes or on the bus into school that morning. I wouldn't recommend doing this but it did end up working out, and I was able to identify 2 things the teacher said that were incorrect. Didn't matter and I knew well enough to keep my trap shut and head down as the new kid.
Date: August 04, 2021 06:46PM
I’m struggling and failing to recall anything I learned in 10th grade.
Posted by: Don C
Date: August 04, 2021 10:16PM
Ah yes, 10th grade. Plane Geometry. Teacher did a little teaching, then gave us a bunch of problems or told us to do the exercises in the textbook while he read travel magazines. Final was four sheets of blank paper with the instructions to write as many proofs and theorems as we could remember.

Obviously made an impression on me!
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: August 05, 2021 06:44AM
p8712

I vividly recall learning a great deal about two subjects in tenth grade -- Jenny and Julie.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Posted by: d4
Date: August 05, 2021 07:34AM
In High School I was in AP History. It was so stressful for me, I was physically ill. The bulk of it was reading and memorization of names, dates, wars, acts, treaties, etc. During exams, I saw so much cheating among the students I was disgusted. I did so poorly in the exams they dropped me from the AP class in the middle of the semester. The cheaters all passed with "honors".

Your daughter has 3 years before college to show the school they made a mistake.

Date: August 05, 2021 09:32AM
Ombligo
p8712

I vividly recall learning a great deal about two subjects in tenth grade -- Jenny and Julie.

Well I do remember @#$%& a lot. But they kind of frown on that in school.
Posted by: Yoyodyne ArtWorks
Date: August 05, 2021 07:40PM
Teenage lothario evolves into MRF regular…tragic.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 73
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020