advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
And that’s when the **** hit the fan… What’s your ‘Get the heck out of Dogde’ plan?
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: August 06, 2021 11:57AM
Earthquakes, wildfires, hurricanes, tornadoes, floods, tsunamis things can go from ‘What’s on Netflix?’ to ‘I’ll start the car you grab the kids/cats/dogs!’ really fast.

What’s your get gone plan of action? Do you have one? Are you primed and ready?
  • Go bag(s)? What’s in them? Where do you keep them?
  • Fully stocked larder to shelter in place and ride out whatever comes? Generator? Water? Embarrassing amounts of TP?
  • Full on “prepper” ready for the zombie apocalypse?
  • I’m particularly curious about pet preparations. I’ve got carriers in easy to get to spots, but hauling around three of those plus everything else gives me the willies. Backpackable furkids is my goal.

Share your wisdom. One good tip I picked up already is any important papers in the files are kept in bright red folders. Time to go, no trying to read labels. Grab anything red, and stuff it in a bag.

National Suicide Prevention Hotline tel:1-800-273-8255

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: And that’s when the **** hit the fan… What’s your ‘Get the heck out of Dogde’ plan?
Posted by: Robert M
Date: August 06, 2021 12:14PM
Blankity,

Some of this depends on your location. I live in NY but am actually on Long Island. That means, I have to cross a bridge or a tunnel to get to the mainland or get my butt on an airplane or train to get outta dodge. In the event of a disaster, the likelihood of any of those options is diddly-zilch.

I'm betting most residents of Long Island forget that we are in fact, on an island and that it'll be incredibly difficult to get outta dodge in the event of an emergency or disaster. Long Island isn't a tiny island like, say, Block Island or Fire Island (both of which are right near Long Island) but Long Island is an island nonetheless.

For myself (and family), it's gonna be one of these two options:

A. I'm sheltering in place at home.

B. I'm taking my go-bag and sheltering elsewhere on Long Island.

I have a fully stocked larder and ample emergency supplies at home and the places I'm likely to go to with a go-bag have fully stocked larders and ample emergency supplies.

Robert
Re: And that’s when the **** hit the fan… What’s your ‘Get the heck out of Dogde’ plan?
Posted by: jdc
Date: August 06, 2021 12:19PM
Agreed.

Here in Nor Cal suburbia, with a zero chance any potential natural disaster... meh.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: August 06, 2021 12:59PM
jdc
Agreed.

Here in Nor Cal suburbia, with a zero chance any potential natural disaster... meh.

Has no one talked to you yet about earthquakes?

It is what it is.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: August 06, 2021 01:41PM
Robert M
Blankity,

Some of this depends on your location. I live in NY but am actually on Long Island. That means, I have to cross a bridge or a tunnel to get to the mainland or get my butt on an airplane or train to get outta dodge. In the event of a disaster, the likelihood of any of those options is diddly-zilch.

I'm betting most residents of Long Island forget that we are in fact, on an island and that it'll be incredibly difficult to get outta dodge in the event of an emergency or disaster. Long Island isn't a tiny island like, say, Block Island or Fire Island (both of which are right near Long Island) but Long Island is an island nonetheless.

For myself (and family), it's gonna be one of these two options:

A. I'm sheltering in place at home.

B. I'm taking my go-bag and sheltering elsewhere on Long Island.

I have a fully stocked larder and ample emergency supplies at home and the places I'm likely to go to with a go-bag have fully stocked larders and ample emergency supplies.

Robert

How many you figure would head to Montauk? I suppose getting to Sag Harbor would also be difficult.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: August 06, 2021 02:03PM
Many that have go bags have loaded them with too much crap to carry any distance more than from the house to the car.

If we can't shelter in place, the truck gets loaded with predetermined supplies.
Posted by: jdc
Date: August 06, 2021 02:59PM
N-OS X-tasy!
Has no one talked to you yet about earthquakes?

Too far away from any potential earthquake to affect us.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: rz
Date: August 06, 2021 03:18PM
We've lived through several hurricanes here and have stayed put every time. But we're far enough inland that we don't get hit hard enough for it to devastate the area. And I don't see flooding as being that big an issue. We had wildfires in the area about 23 years ago, but not close enough to be concerned.

If we felt like we were in imminent danger, I suppose we'd devise some sort of plan.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: August 06, 2021 03:22PM
MrBig,

No idea. The likelihood someone would get that far is miniscule. You'd have to live within minutes of those areas otherwise you'll suffer through the disaster while stuck in traffic on the Long Island Expressway (LIE)_. 'course, many of us consider the LIE a disaster in itself...

Robert
Posted by: Fritz
Date: August 06, 2021 04:40PM
none, spend time in our 12 foot yachts with Owen, tequila, cold pizza, two cups and a string.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: August 06, 2021 04:46PM
unless a tornado literally hits my home there's no need to leave.

still waiting on the electrician to add an interlock plus generator input to my electric service panel.
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: August 06, 2021 05:26PM
During fire season, we keep our camper van parked nose out, ready to go. It's gassed up and loaded with water. Bedding and basic clothing is in, as are pet supplies. We would just need to grab two dogs, maybe a bit more clothing and a bag of food, one file box and two laptops.

For winter emergencies, it's shelter in place. We keep an extra stock of non-perishables for winter and generally have extra gas on hand. We have a small Predator 2000 generator and solar chargers. In the winter, it's cold enough to store food outdoors if we lose power.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: Mr Downtown
Date: August 06, 2021 05:43PM
Go-bag backpack with a liter of water, a bit of food, space blanket, underwear, some lightweight toiletries, multitool, disposable gloves, basic meds—and a towel. Note ciipped to it reminds me to grab cash, passport, mobile phone, and Time Machine drive.

Now how would I get out of downtown Chicago? Fifteen years ago, when I first packed the go bag, I assumed the most likely scenario was a dirty bomb. I'd probably first head for the suburban train station, hoping they'd be running load-and-go to evacuate downtown workers. Second choice, and only practical part of the year, would be to head south on my bicycle.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: August 06, 2021 06:25PM
I know where the camping gear is and my go bag. If the nuclear power plan alarm goes off, we grab the critters and humans and evacuate with the go bag and some snacks and water and drive far away and find a cheap hotel. Then figure out WTH the plan is.

Beyond that, stay in the house /basement
Posted by: Racer X
Date: August 06, 2021 06:51PM
I have what I need to procure food. I can hunt and fish. Can purify water, and have a decent AWD truck. NOT one of these sissy AWD crossover toys either. Have stoves that can burn just about any combustible liquid too.

Everyone forgets one critical thing though. Meds.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Posted by: Speedy
Date: August 06, 2021 08:58PM
Only tornadoes to worry about and one hitting my house is highly unlikely enough that I’m not worried about packing a go-bag. Winter blizzards with a power outage means a sleeping bag added to the blankets on the bed. I might also fill the tub with water but I doubt if it would be needed because Minnesota ain’t Texas.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 109
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020