advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Need positive vibes.. Mom in nursing home
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: August 06, 2021 08:13PM
Mom has been the family rock for all of her 6 children’s lives. A farm girl she grew up as a Connecticut Yankee and a New York social daughter (a fun combination ). She married a young scientist while she was still in College, and was almost expelled for that. She raised her children to be self confident and take care of ourselves, while caring for our disabled brother. And working to housebreak her college professor husband.

And now she began with a kidney disease during her recovery from a knee implant. And last week she had a neurological event. And now she is minimally able to speak, is unable to get out of bed or even sit up. Sinking super fast.

She is 85. I’m not ready. I am grieving and I hope and pray she gets better. But don’t think she will…
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Need positive vibes.. Mom in nursing home
Posted by: Diana
Date: August 06, 2021 08:22PM
Positive vibes coming your way. Thoughts and prayers as well.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: August 06, 2021 08:24PM
Positive thoughts and prayers coming your way cbelt3.

Grateful11
Posted by: Frank
Date: August 06, 2021 08:26PM
Sorry to learn of your sad situation. Hope she gets better. She'd probably enjoy listening to some of her favorite music if you could arrange that. Best wishes.
Posted by: DP
Date: August 06, 2021 08:28PM
Best wishes heading your way. I have a 95 yo Aunt in assisted living...

A throwback image to celebrate Autumn.

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: space-time
Date: August 06, 2021 08:31PM
Hoping for the best. I see so many people suffering, that it's really sad. enjoy today, hope for a better tomorrow.

I really hope for the best for your mom. And for you, and all your family.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: August 06, 2021 08:39PM
Best wishes for a speedy recovery for mom.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: August 06, 2021 08:40PM
Best wishes for you and your Mom Belty!
Posted by: DinerDave
Date: August 06, 2021 08:57PM
Sorry for your situation.
Been there with my Mom, and just recently my MIL.

I feel your pain.

Dave

Welcome to Dave's BBQ!

Many have eaten here....

Few have died
Posted by: TheCaber
Date: August 06, 2021 09:24PM
Sorry about your mom, cbelt3, I hope she recovers soon. + vibes coming to you and yours.

=TC
Posted by: lost in space
Date: August 06, 2021 09:53PM
Positive vibes to all of you.

Posted by: deckeda
Date: August 06, 2021 10:20PM
Charlie you’ll be ready when she is because that’s just the way it happens. Hope for the best, whatever that may be.

We’re here if you wanna chat.
Posted by: A-Polly
Date: August 06, 2021 10:22PM
All possible good wishes coming your way. And hope. Ten fingers crossed.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: August 06, 2021 10:50PM
So sorry. Positive thoughts are ongoing.

Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: August 06, 2021 10:54PM
Good vibes and best wishes. It happens to everyone, if that is any consolation.
Posted by: testcase
Date: August 06, 2021 11:08PM
Sounds like your mom is a true fighter.

Positive vibes to you and your's.
Posted by: vision63
Date: August 06, 2021 11:13PM
I'm praying for your mama. I'm praying for you and your family. You're a testament to how awesome she is. I pray for the best outcome possible.
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: August 06, 2021 11:45PM
Frank
Sorry to learn of your sad situation. Hope she gets better. She'd probably enjoy listening to some of her favorite music if you could arrange that. Best wishes.

Great idea. I did a mix ‘tape’ for my mom during her last stretch and it was a blessing to us all. Brought back memories of coming home from school, hearing Aretha wafting through the house, the smell of mom’s magic meatloaf in the oven. I’m guessing for her, younger days. The young “colored” girl doing what?? Learning to fly. That recording contract that slipped away to marriage and children. Life.

And that’s the rock. The solid footing. The final pages may be in the writing, but do not fail to celebrate, celebrate, celebrate her life, her marvelousness, her love and your love for her. Unique and amazing. No other like it.

Strength and blessings to you.

National Suicide Prevention Hotline tel:1-800-273-8255

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
Posted by: blooz
Date: August 06, 2021 11:49PM
This doesn't sound good, but she has had a good life and is loved. I hope she recovers, but you are doing the best you can for her, either way. Take comfort in the love you share.

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.
—Friedrich Nietzsche
Western Massachusetts
Posted by: rich in distress
Date: August 07, 2021 12:16AM
My best wishes and thoughts are with you.
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: August 07, 2021 12:34AM
Prayers sent.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: August 07, 2021 01:33AM
Thoughts are with you Crusty, you're a good son. Transitions can be inspirational and uplifting, seems that's where you're at.
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: August 07, 2021 01:34AM
cbelt3
She is 85. I’m not ready. I am grieving and I hope and pray she gets better. But don’t think she will…

I'm beginning to wonder if we can ever be ready. Back in late 2018 prymsnap lost her 93 year old mother:

[forums.macresource.com]

The pain was so great she couldn't talk about it for several months. When I read her thread, I think what a long life her mother lived, and yet how if the shoes were on my feet, how different I might feel.

We came close to losing my 82 year old mom earlier this year from escalations arising from what should have been a minor diabetes complication. At the time, I was convinced she would be gone. We had just lost my 82 year old dad unexpectedly 2 years before that. I was absolutely not ready to lose mom. At the time I remember thinking how grateful I'd be if we could get a few more years. After pyrmsnap's experience (and reading other's similar experiences here), I'm not sure if more years would make a difference, I don't know if we can ever be ready. Thankfully mom appears to be on the road to a complete recovery and then some. Not completely out of the woods yet, but optimistic.

So, many of us here feel your current pain cbelt. Hope and prayers for your mom's healing....
Posted by: rgG
Date: August 07, 2021 06:56AM
Hoping for the best for all of you.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: prymsnap
Date: August 07, 2021 08:18AM
Sending positive vibes your way, cbelt3. What Carnos Jax said is still as true as ever: there's no preparing. But you can experience your love for this marvelous human in your life, and let the folks who care about you share your pain. Please check back when you feel up to it. We're here.
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: August 07, 2021 09:23AM
Thoughts and prayers coming your way...
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: August 07, 2021 09:49AM
So sorry to hear. I hope she recovers and will have many more years with her family.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: wave rider
Date: August 07, 2021 10:17AM
My heart goes out to your mom and your family cbelt3…

=wr=
Posted by: Don C
Date: August 07, 2021 12:03PM
Here too wishing and hoping the best for you and those you love.
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: August 07, 2021 12:26PM
vision63
I'm praying for your mama. I'm praying for you and your family. You're a testament to how awesome she is. I pray for the best outcome possible.

As usual, vision says the words that fail to properly arrange themselves in my addled mind.

Belty my good friend, I hope your mom can take a page out of the cbelt book of beating the odds and come out the other end of this bearing stories to tell with a raconteur's flair.
Posted by: davec
Date: August 07, 2021 02:32PM
cbelt- sending prayers and lots of positive vibes for you, your mom and family. As others have said there is no being prepared or ready. A parent having significant health concerns, or experiencing declining health or dying sucks. The beauty they have shared and the strength that they have given us enable us to keep moving forward. At some point the positive memories of times shared, can bring smiles and laughter too. I found that to be true.

Dave

...on the trailing edge of technology.
Posted by: stephen
Date: August 07, 2021 03:54PM
Prayers for all of you. I worry about my 83 year old mom constantly, but can't control every aspect of the way life works.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: August 07, 2021 04:14PM
Positive thoughts headed your way. Prayers if you accept them as well.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: August 07, 2021 06:05PM
Best wishes for all the family. Use a phone or tablet to connect anybody that can't be there in person.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: August 07, 2021 11:20PM
I feel for you, man...
My father passed away on June 27, and though we'd seen it coming for years (Parkinsons and Lewy-Body dementia), he went from moderately functional (living at home with my mom caring for him) to in a full time care home, to "better get everyone together", to passing, in less than two months.

No... we're never ready.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: d4
Date: August 09, 2021 07:47AM
Hope for the best. Prepare for the worst.
Nursing home environments can be mind numbing — for better or worse. If possible, try your best to visit every day to keep spirits up. Stay positive. thumbs up

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 117
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020