advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
cyclist rant
Posted by: Fritz
Date: August 07, 2021 08:52AM
until a year ago, when I started having some issues with my leg, I've always been a cyclist.

lately I've noticed a tendency, on the narrow roads where we are, for cyclists stacked across the lane and not moving to the right to single file.

I have no problem with cyclists on narrow roads or the curvy blind cornered roads, it's their life.
I wouldn't. I always steer towards wide roads with shoulders.
But at least be aware that the concept of share the roadway goes both ways.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: cyclist rant
Posted by: d4
Date: August 07, 2021 09:01AM
Cyclists aren't saints. Plenty of idiot behavior on the road to go around.

Posted by: kj
Date: August 07, 2021 09:08AM
Yeah, that's one of the few complaints about cyclists I would usually agree with .
Posted by: space-time
Date: August 07, 2021 09:33AM
motorcyclist on the other hand are told to stay in the center of the lane. At least that's what a friend who took a class told me.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: August 07, 2021 09:34AM
kj
Yeah, that's one of the few complaints about cyclists I would usually agree with .

The other is failure to obey traffic laws such as stop signs and lights.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: August 07, 2021 09:36AM
Fritz,

We're kinda sorta neighbors if I remember correctly. Both living on Long Island. Happens all the time around me. Annoying. Worse those are the ones who blow through stop signs. Nearly hit (and gotten hit) by _way_ too many cyclists who think stop signs are for motorists. You'd think a cyclist would be more careful. At least a motorist has the protection of his/her car. Cyclists have a helmet. Maybe. Way too many don't wear any protective gear.

Robert
Date: August 07, 2021 09:41AM
Space,

I was once told it's better to stay to the right or the left because the center of a lane tends to have more "stuff" in it, i.e. oil and other fluids. In reality, lane position is determined by circumstances. Here is a good article about it:

[www.motorcycle.com]

Robert
Posted by: Fritz
Date: August 07, 2021 10:04AM
yup, just east of you in Suffolk.
Many do not wear helmets and run stop signs.
That's just plain dumb, but it does thin the herd.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Posted by: mstudio
Date: August 07, 2021 10:07AM
I always obey the rules of the road when cycling. What drives me nuts are the drivers at stop signs that while they have the right of way, will just sit there until I go.
Date: August 07, 2021 10:15AM
mstudio,

That's probably because they're accustomed to cyclists ignoring the rules of the road. I've waited many a time because of it. FWIW, nobody automatically has the right-of-way. The idea of someone having the right-of-way (and/or having it automatically) is actually fallacy. The law only dictates who must yield the right-of-way, not who has it. All too many cyclists (motorists _and_ pedestrians) either don't understand the concept and/or just ignore it.

Robert
Posted by: Lizabeth
Date: August 07, 2021 10:23AM
Nyack, NY is a popular destination for groups of cyclists that I call grinders (because it’s about the miles). The cops there drew a backhoe sized line in the sand years ago and will ticket cyclists for not riding single file on 9. The word got out rather quickly once the tickets started flying. Plus that section of 9 is narrow and twisty - we found a rail trail to use to get into Nyack from Piedmont that’s much nicer and less stressful to ride.

We tend to stay away from busy, well traveled roads as much as possible.

You could talk to your LEOs about enforcement like Nyack does?
Posted by: kj
Date: August 07, 2021 11:05AM
macphanatic
kj

The other is failure to obey traffic laws such as stop signs and lights.

Well, not so much for me, as we have different laws for cyclists. (Stop sign is a yield, stop light is a stop sign, basically).
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: August 07, 2021 12:16PM
Failure to ride single file is my biggest and mostly only peeve regarding bicyclists.

Years ago, CA passed a law called the Three Feet for Safety Act, requiring operators of motor vehicles to give bicyclists a three-foot berth when overtaking and passing them.

For a some time afterwards, there were a lot of bicyclists who abused the law, thinking no matter were they were in a lane, vehicle couldn't pass if there wasn't that margin.

They were wrong, as there was a reasonable and prudent exception as part of that law.

Anecdotally, to date I don't know any cop who's cited any motor vehicle for that law specifically, although certainly somewhere this must have happened, particularly if a driver was at fault in a collision with a bicyclist.

Also anecdotally, I know citing of vehicles violating bike lanes to be a popular 'duck pond' practice.

Enforcement of cyclists blowing stop signs and red lights seems to be a selective thing (anecdotally).

A few years back there was a bill to allow 'rolling stops' for bicyclists if safe (the big catch) but I don't know that it ever passed, though a number of cyclists believe it had.

In the interest of self-preservation, most cyclists I've seen do seem to exercise due care when rolling through.

When riding my motorcycle (aka bike), I 'command my lane' by riding in the center.

Anecdotally, many of us found it to discourage drivers from passing us in our lane, where likely that wouldn't have happened with a car.

Also, CA is one of the few states that tolerates lane splitting, the act of a motorcycle passing between to lanes of vehicles traveling in the same direction.

Many riders think this is allowed by law in CA though it's not, specifically.

It's my belief this angers and emboldens those drivers who split lanes when we ride to one side of a lane.

When approaching a stop on surface streets, I'll take the left or right side of the lane, depending on the lane I'm in, to avoid pooled oil, wet or 'dry'.

Also, depending on the lane I'm in, it allows me to 'filter' through stopped traffic to the limit line.

'Filtering' is a common, unofficial term for splitting lanes while traffic is stopped, which is by and large my sole practice.

When riding with another bike, I take one side of the lane while the other rider takes the other.

I only ride with two other bikes at the most, so we stagger our positions left-right-left, and I've seen large groups of bike do the same.

This allows us to ride with less distance between us and reduces the odds of cars cutting us off when they change lanes.

But mainly it gives us greater braking distance in that compact formation then riding directly behind another bike.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: jdc
Date: August 07, 2021 12:28PM
even this pesky canadians!

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: August 07, 2021 12:43PM
Filtering? I'd never heard that term but I like it. That's what I do if riding on any form of two wheels.

"Taking the lane" is taught in many cycling courses and is apt when approaching a rotary or circle, but otherwise just @#$%&.
Posted by: testcase
Date: August 07, 2021 12:59PM
space-time
motorcyclist on the other hand are told to stay in the center of the lane. At least that's what a friend who took a class told me.

NO! The center of a lane winds up contaminated with motor oil (and other potetially nasty stuff). The MSF (Motorcycle Safety Foundation) class I took ~ a decade ago~ recommended riding just off center so as to avoid said contamination.
Posted by: GGD
Date: August 07, 2021 02:51PM
Robert M
That's probably because they're accustomed to cyclists ignoring the rules of the road.

But what's up with the LI car drivers that prompted the lighted overhead signs on Northern State Parkway reminding drivers that it's NY law to use turn signals when changing lanes.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: August 07, 2021 03:49PM
Lizabeth
Nyack, NY is a popular destination for groups of cyclists that I call grinders (because it’s about the miles). The cops there drew a backhoe sized line in the sand years ago and will ticket cyclists for not riding single file on 9. The word got out rather quickly once the tickets started flying. Plus that section of 9 is narrow and twisty - we found a rail trail to use to get into Nyack from Piedmont that’s much nicer and less stressful to ride.

We tend to stay away from busy, well traveled roads as much as possible.

You could talk to your LEOs about enforcement like Nyack does?

I was formerly part of this group. The number of cyclist friendly routes out of nyc are extremely limited and 9w is the best of them. The options for stopping are few and far between which lends itself to going further instead of shorter. Most cyclists I knew had a love/hate relationship with 9w - glad it was there but wished for something better and more variety. Not many people rode two across in my memory.
Posted by: space-time
Date: August 07, 2021 05:16PM
I got annoyed today with one cyclist who came from the road on the right side and turned left coming towards me, but riding in my lane, yes against traffic.
Posted by: Ca Bob
Date: August 07, 2021 08:34PM
Yeah, there was this one time that a group of bicyclists coming down from the Palos Verdes Peninsula came through Pacific Ave in San Pedro. That street had a pretty wide bike lane on the right side, but this group (must have been a club) were bunched up and spread out well into the driving lane to the immediate left. The result was that auto traffic got backed up and drivers had to move over to the left -- carefully and slowly -- to get past.

It was incredibly rude on the part of the cyclists and I have never forgotten their rudeness.

I would say that this was the exception except for some stunts pulled by bicycle activists who (at one time) would jam up major intersections by filling them with bike riders. I think the cost of the traffic tickets inhibited them from further stunts.

I used to do a lot of bicycling back when you could ride Pacific Coast Highway up to Malibu or down to Palos Verdes. I couldn't imagine trying to go up to Malibu nowadays considering the lack of room on the right and the dense traffic.

We've got a group of bicycle activists out here, but there are more than six million cars in Los Angeles County, so the cyclists have a lot less influence than the motorists.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 107
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020