Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
WandaVision finale
Posted by: Fritz
Date: August 08, 2021 10:08AM
guess I'm just not a Marvel fan.
Utterly dumb other than lots of CGE, people flying, magnetic wave disturbance, throwing balls of molten energy, buzaps, blah, blah, blah.
All the players are good and the direction, for what it was (Kaboom!!!!), was fine.

We have only really enjoyed the 1st Spidy and IronMan.

in unrelated news, gave up on Made for Love after 3 eps.
Fighting thru Genius: Aretha by NatGeo(?). Horribly written, directed and cast except for the lead, Cynthia Erivo and her sisters, Patrice Covington, Rebecca Jones, & Shaian Jordon (young Aretha).

YMMD

!#$@@$#!

What if the hokey pokey really is what it’s all about?

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: WandaVision finale
Posted by: rgG
Date: August 08, 2021 10:26AM
We didn’t make it all the way through Genius. I LOVE Cynthia Erivo, but it was just too long. If it had been condensed into maybe three or four episodes it would been much better, IMHO.
Only made it through one or two Made for Love episodes. sad smiley

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: Rolando
Date: August 08, 2021 10:29AM
Comic Book movies are NOT for everyone. That's OK.

I would recommend Spider-Man 2 from 2004. Pretty universally acclaimed as the Best Comic Book Movie ever.

I did enjoy Spider Man HomeComing as well. It is NOT a rehash of the previous Spidey Movies.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: August 08, 2021 10:31AM
> We have only really enjoyed the 1st Spidy and IronMan.

Yeah, you're not an MCU kind of viewer. That's fine.

Personally loved the full story arc when taken into account with all of Wanda & Vision's appearances throughout the MCU films. It's a closing arc for her (dealing with loss and moving on; "what is grief if not love persevering?") and a stepping stone as she finally becomes the Scarlet Witch, her powers coming to full fruition.

Everything in the MCU is tied together, both the films and the various Disney+ series. As an old school comic fan (was a collector/reader of Marvel back in the 70s and early 80s) I'm a big fan of the films/series and am really enjoying them.

YMMV.

Date: August 08, 2021 10:39AM
Zoidberg
>

But I surely do wish I kept my Marvel Ent stock that I bought for $2 ish and sold for $5 (in the early 90's) coz I figured I'd doubled my money. Never thought comics would be big $.

Idiot .....

Coulda built my own IronMan suit.

!#$@@$#!

Date: August 08, 2021 10:46AM
Fritz
Zoidberg
>

But I surely do wish I kept my Marvel Ent stock that I bought for $2 ish and sold for $5 (in the early 90's) coz I figured I'd doubled my money. Never thought comics would be big $.

Idiot .....

Hey, I got talked out of buying a buttload of Apple Stock in the 90s before the first split.

Posted by: Sarcany
Date: August 08, 2021 10:50AM
Rolando

I would recommend Spider-Man 2 from 2004. Pretty universally acclaimed as the Best Comic Book Movie ever.

Dark Knight and Logan and Iron Man are some other "best" comic movies to check out if you're interested in exploring acclaimed superhero movies.

And Watchmen gets a bad rap. It's very good. Some people just don't like subtext. It's the only thing Zack Snyder's done worth watching. (He peaked early.)

Posted by: Grateful11
Date: August 08, 2021 10:57AM
I made it through Wandavision and Loki. Loki is even harder to follow than Wandavision.

I'm a big fan of all the Marvel movies but these spin-offs are little out there.

Grateful11
Date: August 08, 2021 11:01AM
I remember the title Dark Knight, but in the early '00 I was too busy working to take in any other entertainment. But that cast, I'll definitely take a go at that.
Watchmen (graphic novel) was given to me by a total comic superhero friend of mine. I really enjoyed that. I guess I'm more into the read side that the overblown Hollywoo side. Guess I'll put that on the watchlist.

!#$@@$#!

Date: August 08, 2021 11:04AM
Sarcany
Rolando

Dark Knight and Logan and Iron Man are some other "best" comic movies to check out if you're interested in exploring acclaimed superhero movies.

And Watchmen gets a bad rap. It's very good. Some people just don't like subtext. It's the only thing Zack Snyder's done worth watching. (He peaked early.)

Ditto these recommendations.

I liked the entire Nolan Batman trilogy (Batman Begins/The Dark Knight/The Dark Knight Rises), but the third kind of falters after the high point of the The Dark Knight. Not that it's bad -- it does complete the story well -- but I have to wonder if Nolan had something else in mind before the sad death of Heath Ledger.

Logan was fantastic and a good farewell to Hugh Jackman's take on Wolverine (though part of me still wants a cameo in a future MCU outing). The story was solid, it had good buildup, and was a very enjoyable film.

I also really agree on WATCHMEN. Snyder used the graphic novel as his storyboard and it shows; it's a fantastic adaptation. I'm not a big fan of Snyder -- his style; I would call it more of a shot director; he stages great visuals & shots and things destined for a "gotta see it" kind of trailer. As Sarcany says; he peaks here. WATCHMEN is arguably a top-tier "The" comic book movie. (Even the change he made to the finalé works well; I recall one marquee when the film premiered showing "B.Y.O.S. (Bring Your Own Squid)".)

Iron Man was great; from the first trailers with their rendition of Sabbath's "Iron Man" playing to the spot-on perfect opening portrayal of Tony Stark by Downy. I remember taking my kids to see it and we all had a blast -- and I also remember my "I'm 10 again" giddy reactions to Colson's "We're calling it SHIELD for short" and Fury's "I'd like to talk to you about the Avengers initiative..."

I like comic book movies. Some are really poorly done, but when they do it right, they're perfect escapist entertainment.

Date: August 08, 2021 11:10AM
Grateful11
I made it through Wandavision and Loki. Loki is even harder to follow than Wandavision.

I'm a big fan of all the Marvel movies but these spin-offs are little out there.

Yeah, I can see that. The series currently on Disney+ are universe building blocks for the next several phases, and delve deep into the history of Marvel Comics and the storylines. I was a big reader for a good decade (arguably the mid 70s to about 1986) where a lot of the story elements are being culled and I get lost a lot; there are a few YouTube channels that help for backstory when that happens.

The MCU is a watch-all kind of thing. You can see a few of the films on their own without the others but you can get lost. I guess a pop culture thing would be like coming in to the fifth season of Game of Thrones without knowing any of the rest of the story and trying to make sense of it all from that point.

(As an aside, and this isn't meant to be a knock, but if a person isn't into a multi-phasic film/TV storyline like the MCU establishes, the DC movies are good. I've watched all but a couple and they pretty much stand on their own with minimal knowledge (other than common knowledge) of the heroes in the DC universe. They've tried to connect them but the connections aren't really solid to the individual movies/stories. And FWIW, I still think SHAZAM! is the best of the DC offerings; that was a lot of fun.)

Posted by: Sarcany
Date: August 08, 2021 11:40AM
Zoidberg
The series currently on Disney+ are universe building blocks for the next several phases, and delve deep into the history of Marvel Comics and the storylines...

Sadly, every storyline around Scarlet Witch amounts to...

Happy for a minute > tragedy > destroys the world and occasionally the entire universe/multiverse

(The frequent destruction of the Marvel multiverse is not unlike a Monty Python sketch: "I got better.")

Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 08, 2021 11:41AM
Fritz
Zoidberg
>

Idiot .....

.....it wouldn't have helped.... I owned Marvel before all this surge of output.....their stock was 'discontinued'.....total loss of all shares.....then later when it was 'reissued' is when Disney later took all the interest......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: August 08, 2021 11:58AM
NewtonMP2100
.....it wouldn't have helped.... I owned Marvel before all this surge of output.....their stock was 'discontinued'.....total loss of all shares.....then later when it was 'reissued' is when Disney later took all the interest......

sounds totally fair ....

!#$@@$#!

Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: August 08, 2021 12:01PM
Into the Spiderverse
is the best comic book made into a movie ever. Hands down. It's what I always imagined a comic would be on the big screen.

Hurts like a bastid...
Posted by: Rolando
Date: August 08, 2021 01:03PM
mrbigstuff
Into the Spiderverse
is the best comic book made into a movie ever. Hands down. It's what I always imagined a comic would be on the big screen.

IT IS FANTASTIC. But its not live action. That's a problem for some. If you're not a "comic book" person, especially.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: hal
Date: August 08, 2021 01:21PM
Rolando
mrbigstuff
Into the Spiderverse

IT IS FANTASTIC. But its not live action. That's a problem for some. If you're not a "comic book" person, especially.

The live action comic movies require an incredible amount of suspended disbelief. Often, I just can't do it.
Date: August 08, 2021 01:28PM
mrbigstuff
Into the Spiderverse

Can't believe I left this one out; Into The Spiderverse is a top-tier comic book film. My daughter's favorite. Looking very much forward to the sequel.

It's also the MCU's worst kept secret that we may get a sort of live action take on this in the upcoming MCU Spider-Man film, Spider-Man: No Way Home, which is going to tie into the events of Loki (per se) and the upcoming Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness.

Posted by: sekker
Date: August 08, 2021 01:45PM
Into the Spiderverse is exactly what a true comic book movie should be.

Alas, it's just not going to be the template moving forward.

I've enjoyed watching it 3 times, each time learning and seeing more.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: August 08, 2021 04:56PM
We’ve been spending a lot of time outdoors except when Canada sends smoke our way.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Mike Sellers
Date: August 09, 2021 06:05AM
Sarcany

Snyder's "Watchmen" would have been much better as a multi-episodic cable series, instead of crammed into two hours. Too bad those weren't in vogue back then.
Posted by: Bernie
Date: August 09, 2021 06:59AM
Zoidberg
I think you have the best handle on all of this that I have read so far.

Wanda Vision filled in some pieces and laid some groundwork to build on. It had the FBI agent from Antman. The daughter of Miss (Captain) Marvel best friend and the girl from Thor one. Introduces SWORD.

Loki

The next Avenger super bad person is/was the time guy. But hey, I could watch Loki hosting a cooking show. I admit my bias.

I liked the entire Nolan Batman trilogy but Michael Keaton was Batman.

Christopher Reeve's Superman is the best.

Staunton, Virginia
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: August 09, 2021 08:08AM
Mike Sellers
Snyder's "Watchmen" would have been much better as a multi-episodic cable series, instead of crammed into two hours. Too bad those weren't in vogue back then.

What are your thoughts on HBO's Watchmen 9-episode miniseries? [www.imdb.com]

Most folks liked it (8.2 out of 10).
Posted by: Mike Sellers
Date: August 09, 2021 11:02AM
DeusxMac
Mike Sellers

First off, I'm a huge Alan Moore fan so I read and enjoyed the original several times. Some episodes were better than others but overall, I liked the extension of the original Watchmen story. Tying it to the Tulsa riots was brilliant.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 09, 2021 01:06PM
.....fish called......Wanda.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: August 09, 2021 01:12PM
Mike Sellers
DeusxMac
Mike Sellers

First off, I'm a huge Alan Moore fan so I read and enjoyed the original several times. Some episodes were better than others but overall, I liked the extension of the original Watchmen story. Tying it to the Tulsa riots was brilliant.

Haven't watched it yet; it's on my watch list but I keep pushing it back. Will have to move it to the top of the list.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 102
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020