advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
I suppose this is a question that any young person could answer, but I have no idea what any of these things are
Posted by: hal
Date: August 10, 2021 12:54PM
Poll
Have you ever used one of these things?
Only registered users are allowed to vote for this poll.
43 votes were received.
yes 36

84%
no 7

16%

I'm curious - do any of you old folks know what any of these things are? I mean, I know they are game controllers, but that's all I know.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: I suppose this is a question that any young person could answer, but I have no idea what any of these things are
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: August 10, 2021 12:57PM
I am familiar with #18 and I have never used any of the other game controllers.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Re: I suppose this is a question that any young person could answer, but I have no idea what any of these things are
Posted by: bazookaman
I've only used about half of them.

Posted by: C(-)ris
Played all of them at one time or another.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: Bernie
Date: August 10, 2021 01:07PM
bazookaman
I've only used about half of them.
Nintendo
Sony
Atari

Staunton, Virginia
Posted by: Robert M
Date: August 10, 2021 01:10PM
Hal,

All of them. 'course, I started at the time when consoles as people think of them exist and the game and controller were one and the same and it was just one game. Anyone remember Mattel Auto Race?

FWIW, my first "controllers" were the joystick of an Atari from before the system had numerical designations and the joystick for the Apple II+.

Robert
Date: August 10, 2021 01:18PM
Looks like I'm the outlier here...
Posted by: rgG
Date: August 10, 2021 01:27PM
I have used #11
If one of the other ones was used to play Space Invaders them I have used that one a lot, but a long time ago.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: freeradical
Date: August 10, 2021 01:31PM
Image doesn't show up.
Posted by: datbeme
Date: August 10, 2021 01:46PM
I'm not much of a gamer, but I don't really believe anyone here could say no to all of them. Not once?
Date: August 10, 2021 01:51PM
datbeme
I'm not much of a gamer, but I don't really believe anyone here could say no to all of them. Not once?

really - not once
Posted by: rz
Date: August 10, 2021 01:56PM
I've used #18. Technically I've also tried a wii controller and an Xbox 360 controller, but maybe once or twice each. My kid tried to get me to play some two player games with him but I had no idea what I was doing and finally just gave up.
Posted by: Z
Date: August 10, 2021 01:56PM
Know what all of them are and have used just under half of them. They left at least a few good/interesting ones out.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: August 10, 2021 02:07PM
Started on #18, and currently own 4 of the others. Game Boy is not shown however; that would make 5.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: August 10, 2021 02:23PM
Just #18... a long long time ago...

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: kurtzie
Date: August 10, 2021 02:32PM
What , no Intellivison?
Posted by: Acer
Date: August 10, 2021 02:33PM
#18 was the controller of my youth. My kids' consoles have several versions of the bat-wing styles, but I've only used them briefly myself.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: August 10, 2021 02:41PM
No option for the PC Master Race!?!? RollingEyesSmiley5 smiley12 Besides an ADB Extended keyboard I also have two game controllers for Mac, one Nintendo clone and a flight/joy stick.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: August 10, 2021 02:45PM
#18 with a TRS-80 Color Computer, playing Astroblast and Bumpers loaded from cassette tape.
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: August 10, 2021 03:01PM
I started with #18 and have used pretty much every one of those controllers. My current go-to console is an XBOX One S (I think; stupid naming strategy IMO) (not the most current but the last console).

I never owned the Sega machines but my old college roommate had the Sega Saturn and the other Sega one.

I think I have at one point or another had each of the remaining consoles.

YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary)
TETO (To Each Their Own)

(BTW, it's spelled < y'all >.)
Posted by: graylocks
Date: August 10, 2021 03:13PM
I've used #11. Many of the rest have been in my son's hands in the house but not mine.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: August 10, 2021 03:39PM
If one has never used #18, I'd have to guess that person's age at 70+.

The others I know and have only used an Xbox controller because of my kids.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: August 10, 2021 03:39PM
First time I used #18, I couldn't walk the next day from my thigh muscles being seized.

Huh? you say...

It was 1987 and I was visiting family in Honduras. The only entertainment I had was the family Atari. Except I could use the controller with just my one hand. So I held the controller squeezed between my knees for around 8 hours. Muscles aren't used to that and let me know it.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Date: August 10, 2021 03:40PM
Is there a coleco vision controller there?
Posted by: Mr Downtown
Date: August 10, 2021 03:51PM
Only game I ever tried was Pong, down at the Sears store, and I seem to remember that having two dials. Then I went off to college, so videogames were just not ever part of my life. Billiards and spades, however . . . .
Date: August 10, 2021 03:56PM
mrbigstuff

The others I know and have only used an Xbox controller because of my kids.

I just turned 60.

I think it was a timing issue. I went to school in 79. I only knew one guy on campus that even had a TV. Afterward, I just didn't hang out with people that played games and was never terribly interested to check it out.

Frankly, this is quite an awakening for me. Almost none of the people that I hang out with now ever played games either (except my BIL who is a game dev). I really thought there would be a few others here like me, but I guess I'm a rarity...
Date: August 10, 2021 04:00PM
mrbigstuff

that's a big presumptuous. some of us have just never cared much for those types of diversions. I only wound up using the Wii controller because i bought the console for my son but used the exercise workout options myself a few times.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: Forrest
Date: August 10, 2021 04:04PM
The wife and I have used 8 of those controllers
Date: August 10, 2021 04:07PM
graylocks
mrbigstuff

that's a big presumptuous. some of us have just never cared much for those types of diversions. I only wound up using the Wii controller because i bought the console for my son but used the exercise workout options myself a few times.

But you didn't have nephews and nieces? Cousins? Uncles? Other friends that were into this? Come on, the Atari was a mini cultural phenomenon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2021 04:07PM by mrbigstuff.
Date: August 10, 2021 04:26PM
mrbigstuff

But you didn't have nephews and nieces? Cousins? Uncles? Other friends that were into this? Come on, the Atari was a mini cultural phenomenon.

Actually, no. one brother who had no offspring and don't live near any of my cousins. Most of my circle are LGBTQ who, like me, if they did raise kids did so later in life. homeschooled my son who saw friends primarily outdoors in parks. TV in the house mostly showed PBS and I never modeled for my son plopping down in front of a TV for hours on end. He had his first computer at 4 and did play games there but I didn't allow any gaming device until he was a pre-teen. i read to him every night with few exceptions from the time he was 4 months old until he was 11 when he requested i stop since he could read himself.

karma is a b*tch, though. he is a XBox fanatic as an adult. Hasn't read a book in years. LOL.

Posted by: d4
Date: August 10, 2021 05:08PM
No boujee Neo Geo. Boooo...

Date: August 10, 2021 05:14PM
graylocks
mrbigstuff

Actually, no. one brother who had no offspring and don't live near any of my cousins. Most of my circle are LGBTQ who, like me, if they did raise kids did so later in life. homeschooled my son who saw friends primarily outdoors in parks. TV in the house mostly showed PBS and I never modeled for my son plopping down in front of a TV for hours on end. He had his first computer at 4 and did play games there but I didn't allow any gaming device until he was a pre-teen. i read to him every night with few exceptions from the time he was 4 months old until he was 11 when he requested i stop since he could read himself.

karma is a b*tch, though. he is a XBox fanatic as an adult. Hasn't read a book in years. LOL.

not for a lack of trying - I'm sure he's a great kid
Posted by: TheCaber
Date: August 10, 2021 06:15PM
18,17,13,9,5 roughly chronological order.

=TC
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: August 10, 2021 06:45PM
Use about half of them, currently use #6 regularly on my PC. #3 is in regular use in the house. #s 17, 18 and 20 get occasional use but not much.
Posted by: jdc
Date: August 10, 2021 06:59PM
kurtzie
What , no Intellivison?

exactly!

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: bfd
Date: August 10, 2021 07:47PM
jdc
kurtzie
What , no Intellivison?

exactly!

Loved that one, it had different acetate slide-ins that covered the numberpad for each of the different games. Golf, skiing, football, baseball, etc. That was easily 40 years ago!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 99
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020