advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
tramped stamped?!.....USPS raising rates and slowing down mail......
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 11, 2021 11:12AM
......Aug. 29th first class stamp goes from 0.55 to 0.58....and as per Postmaster Louis DeJoy's plan to save money......some mail will be deliberated slowed down.....

Get ready for higher stamp prices in August — and a delivery slowdown

....Changes are coming to the U.S. Postal Service, and they might not be entirely welcomed by consumers, who will pay more for stamps starting in late August while potentially facing longer delivery times for mail.

A proposed increase in stamp prices was approved Monday by the Postal Regulatory Commission (PRC), the federal regulator that oversees the postal agency, which found that the higher prices are in line with postal regulations. The USPS said in May that it planned to raise first-class stamps to 58 cents from its current 55 cents. The higher price will kick in on August 29, the USPS told CBS MoneyWatch.

Costlier postage is part of Postmaster Louis DeJoy's plan to stanch billions of dollars in losses and put the agency on the path to profitability. But another part of DeJoy's plan— an effort to slow delivery standards — sparked a host of concerns from the PRC, which pointed out that about 4 out of 10 pieces of mail would take two additional days to reach their recipients.

Critics say the most impacted customers would be in Western states including California and Arizona as well as Florida, Texas and Maine — and potentially have an outsized impact on rural and elderly customers.

While the USPS has argued that the slower delivery standards will save money for the postal service, the PRC said there wasn't evidence that this would actually be the case.

"I do not believe that the Postal Service has proven its case for reducing service standards for all Americans," wrote PRC commissioner Ashley Poling in the report. Poling was nominated to the commission by former President Donald Trump, while DeJoy was appointed by the Postal Service Board of Governors during the Trump administration.

She added, "The plan also fails to provide sufficient evidence to justify exceptionally limited cost savings projections, use of a flawed demand model and unfounded notions that the majority of American citizens and businesses will actually experience increased satisfaction with these sweeping service cuts."

In response to the PRC's report, the USPS said it is "moving forward with our plan" but will review the regulator's recommendations.

"Misguided effort"

A group of 21 state attorneys general last month asked the PRC to reject the USPS' plan to slow deliveries, calling it a "misguided effort" that would harm election mail, mailings of essential documents such as passports and birth and death records and have disproportionate impact on the elderly, rural residents and the disabled. The states joining the petition range from California to North Carolina.

About 7 in 10 letters sent to Nevada will take longer to arrive, according to a Washington Post analysis of the USPS delivery changes. About 6 in 10 pieces of mail sent to Florida, Washington state, Montana, Arizona and Oregon will also experience longer delivery times, the analysis found......

pay more......for slower service......?!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2021 11:17AM by NewtonMP2100.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: tramped stamped?!.....USPS raising rates and slowing down mail......
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: August 11, 2021 11:30AM
Mail that used to take a couple of days is taking up to 20 or more.

DeJoy has all but demolished the Postal System. He should be brought up on charges because that's technically a Federal offense.

YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary)
TETO (To Each Their Own)

(BTW, it's spelled < y'all >.)
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: August 11, 2021 11:41AM
So, their plan to "save" the post office is to provide worse service, and raise prices?
Sounds like they just want to kill off the postal service entirely... and if that's the case, they're doing a great job!

A few years ago, I lived for a year in a "suburb" of Eureka... and if you knew Eureka, you know why I put that in quotes.
There was no residential mail delivery. None. They have a Post Office with PO Boxes.
Well, they decided to start closing the lobby (where the PO boxes are) outside of their open hours....
So, no one that WORKS could get their mail, because the lobby was closed from 4pm to 9am.
I ended up having to take personal time from work so I could GET MY MAIL once a week.

I bought a house and moved from that rental while that was still going on. Last I heard, our State Representative, and our U.S. House Rep were having a "meeting" with the Post Office to talk about that...

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: August 11, 2021 11:42AM
My other bills come only a day or two later than in the pre-DeJoy days, but those coming from Pennsylvania often arrive more than two weeks later than they used to.

I was already paying a lot via online banking, but it's driven me to pay all of my bills online because I can't rely on statements to arrive prior to their due-dates.

...My mom just received a statement postmarked June 8th.

What DeJoy is doing to the US mail ought to be a criminal offense.

Posted by: Fritz
Date: August 11, 2021 12:02PM
he's a fkn disgrace. I hope a way is found to boot is grifting ass.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Posted by: rz
Date: August 11, 2021 12:14PM
I'll add to the chorus. I got a "catalog" recently for an event, over a month after the event had passed. I put catalog in quotes because it was basically a couple of pages of paper folded over and stapled.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: August 11, 2021 04:49PM
Sounds like they just want to kill off the postal service entirely... and if that's the case, they're doing a great job!

Not to get this kicked, but a certain group as been advocating 'privatizing' the USPS for decades, seeing as a potential cash cow.

Billy Bob's First Class Mail has never set well with me.

If it happened, I'd foresee something something akin to cable and cellular companies.

For people getting bad service now, 'roaming' charges on mail would be a killer.

One of the many things the current PMG/CEO did was to remove and disassemble, and to date not replace high-speed letter sorting equipment.

The PMG is appointed by the Board of Postal Governors, who are in turn appointed by the President with the 'advice and consent of the Senate'.

I don't see an improvement in service coming any time soon.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: August 11, 2021 04:53PM
One of the many things the current PMG/CEO did was to remove and disassemble, and to date not replace high-speed letter sorting equipment.
I have yet to see actual documentation to substantiate that claim.
(and a CNN or MSN report doesn't count but something from the OMB would.)

two words: Royal Mail [en.wikipedia.org]
Privatize it and be done with it. And the same for Amtrak.

Want to screw up a business? Let politicians & bureaucrats run it.
Pointing fingers & making wild (politically inspired) accusations will not
solve the issues. The USPS has been a clusterfsk for decades.
Even the US Military avoids using it!

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

DuckDuckGo
The search engine that doesn't track you.

DemComm Records 2021 Greatest Hits
includes:
Taxman by Joe & Nancy's Rich Ice Cream Band
The Humpty Dance by The Harris-Brown Hookup
Lets Spend The Night Together by The Fang-Swalwell Gang
Díaz-Canel Is A Friend of Ours by The AOC Squad
My Old Kentucky Retirement Home by MitchMcC & The Soggy Boxer Boys
Burning Down The House by Merrick & The Goons
Back In the USSR by Bernie's Red Square Trio

patriot smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2021 04:59PM by MrNoBody.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: August 11, 2021 05:27PM
MrNoBody
I have yet to see actual documentation to substantiate that claim.
(and a CNN or MSN report doesn't count but something from the OMB would.)

[www.truthorfiction.com]
[www.washingtonpost.com]

As of September, 2020...

States in which the USPS was ordered to remove mail sorting machines under DeJoy:
59 in Florida
58 in Texas
34 in Ohio
30 in Pennsylvania
26 in Michigan
15 in North Carolina
12 in Virginia
12 in Wisconsin
11 in Georgia

More than 90 percent of the machines have already been removed—and won’t be replaced.

Many of the machines have been removed in critical swing states: 59 in Florida, 58 in Texas, 34 in Ohio, 30 in Pennsylvania, 26 in Michigan, 15 in North Carolina, 12 in Virginia, 12 in Wisconsin, and 11 in Georgia. (This data was provided to Mother Jones by Jacob Bogage and Christopher Ingraham of the Washington Post, who have detailed removal of the machines.)

Letter from the American Postal Workers Union:
[archive.is]

...But you go ahead and wait for the White House Office of Management and Budget to comment.

Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: August 13, 2021 09:09AM
MrNoBody - I've used the USPS for decades without issue. As posted, up until DeJoy was put in place to @#$%& everything up, I had regular mail with clients a state away take just one or two days; it now often takes one to two weeks. USPS shipping from OWC three states up, as an example, via regular mail would take two or three days; it's now about a week.

DeJoy was a weak attempt to @#$%& up mail-in voting and push towards a privatized system, which is @#$%&. The USPS can definitely be made more efficient, but you don't do that by putting someone in place who has a mission and vested interest in shutting it down.

YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary)
TETO (To Each Their Own)

(BTW, it's spelled < y'all >.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2021 09:10AM by Zoidberg.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 88
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020