advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
double jeopardy?!....they've named the new permanent host of 'Jeopardy' with a twist.......
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 11, 2021 12:28PM
.....Mike Richards.....is permanent host but Mayim Bialik will host primetime and spin-off specials.......

Jeopardy! Twist: Mayim Bialik to 'Split' Hosting Duties With EP Mike Richards

....Jeopardy! will have not one but two permanent hosts. Sorta.

Sony Pictures Television announced Wednesday that Jeopardy! executive producer Mike Richards will succeed the late Alex Trebek as host the long-running daily syndicated game show, with Big Bang Theory vet Mayim Bialik presiding over primetime and spin-off specials, including the just announced Jeopardy! National College Championship.

The news comes just days after Richards confirmed reports that he was in talks for the emcee job. He also weighed in on the controversy surrounding those recently resurfaced 2010 pregnancy discrimination lawsuits from his time as an EP on The Price Is Right.

Richards and Bialik were among the dozen-plus guest hosts who passed through Jeopardy! over the past seven months. Both of their stints were well-received by critics and fans alike, with TVLine readers regularly choosing them as their second and third-most wanted full-time emcees.

Richards’ tenure will kick off with the game show’s Season 38 premiere on Sept. 13.

“We are thrilled to begin the next chapter of America’s Favorite Quiz Show with Mike hosting our daily show and Mayim hosting new versions of Jeopardy!,” said Ravi Ahuja, Chairman of Global Television Studios and Corporate Development for Sony Pictures in a statement “We took this decision incredibly seriously. A tremendous amount of work and deliberation has gone into it, perhaps more than has ever gone into the selection of hosts for a show – deservedly so because it’s Jeopardy! and we are following the incomparable Alex Trebek. A senior group of Sony Pictures Television executives pored over footage from every episode, reviewed research from multiple panels and focus groups, and got valuable input from our key partners and Jeopardy! viewers.

“We knew early on that we wanted to divide the hosting responsibilities and it became very clear that Mike and Mayim were the undeniable choices,” Ahuja added. “They were both at the top of our research and analysis. Mike is a unique talent, at ease behind the podium and a double threat as producer and host. Mayim has a wonderful energy, an innate sense of the game, and an authentic curiosity that naturally represents the Jeopardy! brand. We are excited to get to work with them both and are confident that they will carry on the legacy of this iconic show.”

In his own statement, Richards said, “I am deeply honored to have the opportunity to host the syndicated version of Jeopardy! Never in my wildest dreams could I have imagined being chosen to step into a role of this magnitude. I am incredibly humbled to step behind the lectern and will work tirelessly to make sure our brilliant contestants shine in each and every episode. Alex believed the game itself and the contestants are the most important aspects of the show. I was fortunate to witness his professionalism, intensity and kindness up close and that will serve as the ultimate blueprint as we continue to produce the show we love. I am thrilled that Mayim is joining the Jeopardy! team. Her academic track record and enthusiasm for the game made her a terrific guest host. It will be a privilege to produce the primetime series with her as host.”

Meanwhile, Bialik — who currently headlines the Fox sitcom Call Me Kat, which is heading into its second season — said she “couldn’t be more thrilled to join the Jeopardy! family,” adding, “What started out with my 15-year-old repeating a rumor from Instagram that I should guest host the show has turned into one of the most exciting and surreal opportunities of my life! I’m so grateful and excited to continue to work with Mike Richards, and I’m just over the moon to join forces with him and Sony. After all the conversations we’ve had about this partnership, I am just so ready to get started!”.....

double........dudie......?!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2021 12:49PM by NewtonMP2100.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: double jeopardy?!....they've named the new permanent host of 'Jeopardy' with a twist.......
Posted by: kj
Date: August 11, 2021 01:23PM
I really think LaVar Burton would have been awesome, but oh well. I'm not sure I've ever really watched it though, so why do I care?
Re: double jeopardy?!....they've named the new permanent host of 'Jeopardy' with a twist.......
Posted by: rz
Date: August 11, 2021 01:28PM
NewtonMP2100
Both of their stints were well-received by critics and fans alike, with TVLine readers regularly choosing them as their second and third-most wanted full-time emcees.

Who was the first?
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 11, 2021 01:29PM
....I think LeVar was the fan favorite but I can't be sure....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: jdc
Date: August 11, 2021 02:18PM
NewtonMP2100

Maybe missed an opportunity to have a poc. heard he was a fave too, but not the best actual "host".

at least they got a woman.... although feels a little...

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2021 02:21PM by jdc.
Posted by: Gareth
Date: August 11, 2021 02:19PM
kj
I really think LaVar Burton would have been awesome, but oh well.

We did too, but we're halfway through his hosting week (we're behind), and so far he's not one of our top favorites. His speech pattern reading the clues is very different from everyone else, with odd words emphasized. But they've reduced the guest hosts to 1 week (from 2 weeks), so we won't get to see how much he settles in compared to some of the others (but honestly, it was only a couple/few games to settle in for most hosts).

Mike Richards is the "safe" choice. He felt the most "Alex" like if that's what they're going for. Mayim is one of our favorite guest hosts, so glad to see she'll be on more shows in the future.
Posted by: rgG
Date: August 11, 2021 02:32PM
kj
I really think LaVar Burton would have been awesome, but oh well. I'm not sure I've ever really watched it though, so why do I care?

He was not good in his stint at hosting.
I thought he would be a shoe in, but he really didn’t get in the rhythm of the show at all, IMHO.

David Faber, from CNBC, was fantastic, but I don’t think he would have taken the job even if offered.
Aaron Rogers was also good.
Richards and Bialik were both good, so I am OK with this combo.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: August 11, 2021 03:04PM
'Jeopardy!' announces Mayim Bialik, Mike Richards as permanent hosts
-no clickbait
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: August 11, 2021 03:17PM
What are Safe Bets?

They'll do fine, and if not both are quite replaceable for the next five years.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: August 11, 2021 03:56PM
Disappointing. I was Team LeVar.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: August 11, 2021 04:27PM
jdc
NewtonMP2100

Maybe missed an opportunity to have a poc. heard he was a fave too, but not the best actual "host".

at least they got a woman.... although feels a little...

I was on Team LB... until I watched him in action. I was surprised to find that his voice didn't have the presence I feel is needed for the job.

It is what it is.
Date: August 11, 2021 04:29PM
Will Collier

Did you see his week of hosting?
I would be interested to know if you thought he did a good job.

Posted by: wurm
Date: August 11, 2021 04:33PM
I liked LaVar, but he got a little too enthusiastic with his "Yes!" whenever someone got the answer right.

I thought the Exec. Producer was very good, but I thought they were looking for more of a big name to take over. Then again, if you could hire yourself, why not? ;)

Bialik was very good. Rodgers was good, but overrated. I actually thought Buzzy Cohen would have been a good choice. Knows the game extremely well, and I always remember him during his stint as a contestant, playfully telling Alex during the interviews that he wanted his job. That was before we all know Alex was sick.

Frankly, I think they all did an admirable job, and I could have seen the continuing with guest hosts for the foreseeable future.
Posted by: bfd
Date: August 11, 2021 04:38PM
Art Fleming and Don Pardo are rolling in their graves … with laughter.
Date: August 11, 2021 04:42PM
wurm
I liked LaVar, but he got a little too enthusiastic with his "Yes!" whenever someone got the answer right.

I thought the Exec. Producer was very good, but I thought they were looking for more of a big name to take over. Then again, if you could hire yourself, why not? ;)

Bialik was very good. Rodgers was good, but overrated. I actually thought Buzzy Cohen would have been a good choice. Knows the game extremely well, and I always remember him during his stint as a contestant, playfully telling Alex during the interviews that he wanted his job. That was before we all know Alex was sick.

Frankly, I think they all did an admirable job, and I could have seen the continuing with guest hosts for the foreseeable future.

I also liked Buzzy.

Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: August 11, 2021 05:25PM
wurm

I thought Rogers was weak. Like Burton, he doesn't possess the gravitas to fill the role.

It is what it is.
Date: August 11, 2021 05:30PM
N-OS X-tasy!
I thought Rogers was weak. Like Burton, he doesn't possess the gravitas to fill the role.

Rogers grew on me over 2 weeks, but not enough. He's sort of the opposite of Burton. Rogers sounds like he's depressed, while Burton sounds overly enthusiastic.

wurm

Not that we'll ever know for sure, but he has said on multiple occasions that he has no say in the hiring (well, other than accepting or declining an offer).
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: August 11, 2021 05:35PM
Even if he is good, I think it is pretty shady to audition a bunch of people for a job when you were planning on taking it yourself.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Date: August 11, 2021 06:29PM
Filliam H. Muffman
Even if he is good, I think it is pretty shady to audition a bunch of people for a job when you were planning on taking it yourself.

I don’t think all of the people who guest hosted were interested in doing the job full time. I think some were and some were just having fun.

Date: August 11, 2021 07:22PM
rgG
I don’t think all of the people who guest hosted were interested in doing the job full time. I think some were and some were just having fun.

I agree.

Filliam H. Muffman

As I said above, Mike Richards has said numerous times he has nothing to do with the host selection. His stint as host also seemed unplanned and a consequence of COVID because the guest hosts after Ken were either unable or unwilling to come to the studio for filming. We'll probably have to wait 30+ years for a "tell-all" book if there turns out to be any shady truth to be learned.
Posted by: sekker
Date: August 11, 2021 07:44PM
Gareth
rgG

I agree.

Filliam H. Muffman

As I said above, Mike Richards has said numerous times he has nothing to do with the host selection. His stint as host also seemed unplanned and a consequence of COVID because the guest hosts after Ken were either unable or unwilling to come to the studio for filming. We'll probably have to wait 30+ years for a "tell-all" book if there turns out to be any shady truth to be learned.

Well, his permanent nickname will be 'Dick Cheney.'
Posted by: $tevie
Date: August 11, 2021 08:33PM
rgG
Will Collier

Did you see his week of hosting?
I would be interested to know if you thought he did a good job.
I haven't watched Jeopardy in years, but I have several friends who are huge fans and never miss it and they all said that LeVar Burton was not good.

Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: August 12, 2021 04:41AM
I've not watched Jeopardy! regularly in years, though occasionally I'd get to see an episode.

Even so, my vote would be for Mayim Bialik, if for no other reason, I like her.

From the few times I've seen her on talk shows, she seems like a sincere, great person to hang with.

I hope to see some of the new shows with her hosting.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: August 12, 2021 06:39AM
Mike Richards: "I'm gonna give myself the Jeopardy gig."

Sony Pictures Directors: "Coooool. So the whole 'we're auditioning hosts' thing was total BS. No prob. BTW: How do we spin those discrimination and harassment lawsuits and your longstanding habit of firing women on the basis of your 'hot or not' scale and when they get pregnant?"

Mike Richards: "We can just use a female host for the doomed-to-failure celebrity spinoff we were gonna use as pandemic-filler. It'll look like we're progressive and at the same time the controversy from picking a female host will divert attention from my misogyny."

Sony Pictures Directors: "Perfect!"

Posted by: Ombligo
Date: August 12, 2021 07:12AM
The fact that Mike Richards was possibly the least known of the hosts and did one of the best roles. That may have worked out the best since the program is about the game, not the clue reader. Alex became an icon simply because he was there so long and left under terrible circumstances. If he had just stepped out of the role, the transition would have been more like Bob Barker/TPIR or Steve Harvey of Family Feud.

There will always be a group unhappy with any choice, but give it a few episodes and most will adapt. Give it a few seasons and Alex will be but a memory.

The next long running program that could face a similar situation is Wheel of Fortune. They had a taste of what happens when Pat Sajak had to take medical leave. Still he is at the age when tomorrow is not assured. Since both Jeopardy and Wheel are from the same producers, it will be interesting to see what they have learned.

Just remember, it is a game show, not anything really important.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Posted by: wurm
Date: August 12, 2021 09:28AM
I remember when Mike Richards did the first stint after they came back after Alex's passing. I thought he was very good, and if they just stuck with him and never did any guest host fill-ins, I don't think we'd even be having this discussion. My wife still thinks it was pretty shady that the Executive Producer ended up winning the gig. But if Gareth's info is correct and it was all legit, so much the better. That said, I did look forward to seeing who would drop in every couple of weeks.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: August 12, 2021 06:14PM
Ombligo
The next long running program that could face a similar situation is Wheel of Fortune. They had a taste of what happens when Pat Sajak had to take medical leave...

Not all that similar. Producers haven't been happy with his performance and are trying to force Pat and Vanna out. They almost certainly will not renew contracts, might even buy them out to get them off.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 117
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020