advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
My Favorite Rabbithole: Ancient Egypt - What's Yours?
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: August 12, 2021 05:11PM
Don't know where this comes from but I can't get enough of Ancient Egypt and
Egyptology. Seems there's an inexhaustible supply of books and videos
available on line.
Wikipedia articles with great links:
Ancient Egypt
Egyptology
There's also YouTube vids

Also a good selection free on various streaming platforms too.
old fogey smiley

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

DuckDuckGo
The search engine that doesn't track you.

DemComm Records 2021 Greatest Hits
includes:
Taxman by Joe & Nancy's Rich Ice Cream Band
The Humpty Dance by The Harris-Brown Hookup
Lets Spend The Night Together by The Fang-Swalwell Gang
Díaz-Canel Is A Friend of Ours by The AOC Squad
My Old Kentucky Retirement Home by MitchMcC & The Soggy Boxer Boys
Burning Down The House by Merrick & The Goons
Back In the USSR by Bernie's Red Square Trio

patriot smiley
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: My Favorite Rabbithole: Ancient Egypt - What's Yours?
Posted by: hal
Date: August 12, 2021 06:04PM
that's a fav of mine too - greece and rome as well - also polar exploration
Posted by: SteveO
Date: August 12, 2021 06:34PM
Yeah, I'm also into anything relatively ancient, basically Middle Ages and back. I really love Middle Ages stuff, maybe b/c I read Tolkien in 8th grade and that seemed to match the period for me. I like UFO stuff too, but there is so much fluff I rarely watch those anymore.

There was a pretty decent series on the Plague in early Covid on one of those Roku ad things that pops up on your home screen, I think the channel was Great Learnings or something like that. The channel had some kind of knowledge torch for the logo. The Plague series was hosted by a (couple of?) heavyweight history professors and I got into the third ep before it asked me for a subscription. I need to find that again and binge it, maybe it's on Amazon, etc.
Posted by: SteveO
Date: August 12, 2021 06:36PM
I also love Space Race and Cold War stuff. Please advise of favorites in that realm if anyone shares those interests...feel free to PM me if you don't wanna muck up this thread. Sorry if that's a threadjack, not meant to be! ; )
Posted by: freeradical
Date: August 12, 2021 06:51PM
Traveling down memory lane.

Google Earth is great for this. I can go and see all the many places I've been to in the past.

This is the Tropo Scatter radio site in Northern Sardegna near the town of Tempio Pausania, where I stayed in a hotel when I was there.

There are 3 long distance links. The top one went to Colatno, an Army site.

The eastern link went to Martina Franca, which I also went to. The western link went to Palma Menorca, where I also went to.

If you go here, and click on "486L, Medcom", the page will refresh, and you can see all the sites that were part of this system.

[rammstein.dfmk.hu]

Posted by: AllGold
Date: August 12, 2021 06:58PM
I like Egyptology too, and most history in general. I'm also a fan of early human origins. And many science topics, particularly cosmology. Also geology.

I'm definitely a documentary nerd.

Posted by: Ombligo
Date: August 12, 2021 07:21PM
Mid-20th century human history (essentially 1930-1960), by that I mean the life of the average person not the political scene
History in general though is my weakness

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: August 12, 2021 07:27PM
SteveO
I also love Space Race and Cold War stuff. Please advise of favorites in that realm if anyone shares those interests...feel free to PM me if you don't wanna muck up this thread. Sorry if that's a threadjack, not meant to be! ; )

I assume you are familiar with "Red November"? I truly enjoyed the cold war history in it.

[smile.amazon.com]

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: August 12, 2021 08:06PM
If it’s not obvious, I’ll happily chat about my participation in the SDI project , up to the limits of classification. Or my personal participation in the nuclear standoff in the subcontinent. Honestly . We had export licenses.
Posted by: lost in space
Date: August 12, 2021 08:38PM
I mentioned before in an old post about glacial Lake Missoula that flooded large parts of eastern Washington, caused by repeated failures of a 2000 ft tall ice dam during the ice ages. I like looking for signs of the floods when we travel around the state. Boulders from the Missoula area are scattered from Missoula to the Pacific Ocean. Modelling has shown the volume of water at peak flow was ten times that of all the rivers of the world combined. Love everything I can find about it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2021 08:39PM by lost in space.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: August 12, 2021 08:47PM
I've begun to show my kids Connections, with James Burke. They were all, "what is this..?" but then started watching it and asking questions. Hehe.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: August 12, 2021 10:31PM
I love etymology and names of things likes planets and days in multiple languages!

EDIT: Here is a list of the Planets (sometimes Days of the Week as well) in other languages!

https :// en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Appendix : Planets

removed the spaces for the actual address!

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2021 09:45PM by Rolando.
Posted by: testcase
Date: August 12, 2021 10:37PM
[www.youtubetrimmer.com]
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: August 13, 2021 12:19AM
Audible.com has great lecture on Egyptology from the Great Courses programs. I highly recommend it.

Listen to The History of Ancient Egypt by Bob Brier, The Great Courses on Audible. [www.audible.com]

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2021 12:21AM by ztirffritz.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: August 13, 2021 11:51AM
I'm hooked on abandoned stuff like old buildings, planes left out in a field to rot, etc.

I've spent hours at a time looking at pics of this stuff.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Date: August 13, 2021 11:52AM
Rolando
I love etymology and names of things likes planets and days in multiple languages!

EDIT: Here is a list of the Planets (sometimes Days of the Week as well) in other languages!
[lanets" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">en.wiktionary.org]

linky no work for me. confused smiley

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: August 13, 2021 12:17PM
Rick-o
I'm hooked on abandoned stuff like old buildings, planes left out in a field to rot, etc.

You know about this guy's work, I'll assume.

Brilliant stuff

[dcist.com]
Date: August 13, 2021 12:33PM
mrbigstuff
Rick-o

You know about this guy's work, I'll assume.

Brilliant stuff

[dcist.com]

No, but I do now! Pretty cool site. Thanks.

Posted by: Todd's keyboard
Date: August 13, 2021 02:46PM
This thread is further proof that I have found my peeps. My heart doth swoon at all the interests that have been mentioned.

Another huge vote for The Great Courses series of video and audio lectures. My local library (Vancouver, BC) has a great selection of these on DVD- and CD-format. Plus, until recently, members could use the library web site to stream various Great Courses directly. (Apparently, that contract expired. The library says it is working to create a new relationship with The Great Courses to re-establish that feature.

I used to ask my ESL students to share the names and origins of the days of the week from their home languages. It's surprising how links can be made. For example, Tuesday in French is mardi, named after the god and planet Mars, the red planet. In Korean, Tuesday translates as the day of fire.

Now, off to find out more about Lake Missoula.

Todd's Qwerty-Matian keyboard
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: August 13, 2021 09:05PM
The Great Pyramid at Giza was over 1000 years old when the Exodus was supposed to take place.
That's ancient, dudes!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2021 09:06PM by Steve G..
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 81
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020