advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Understanding the Chroma settings on the AppleTV 4K
Posted by: SKYLANE
Date: August 12, 2021 07:38PM
I have these three components that I am slowly learning the specifications of since I added an AppleTV 4K earlier in the year. Finally getting around to the details... winking smiley

Sony Bravia 4K (XBR65X850E) 2017

Onkyo TX-NR676 (AVR 4K compatible) 2017
- Using Infinity Surround Speaker System with a pair of Onkyo Atmos speakers

AppleTV 4K (1st variation) - (replacing the previous AppleTV HD earlier this year)

If anyone has good settings to consider on the AppleTV 4K that they would like to share, feel free to add on this thread - I know some of the answers will be equipment specific. Currently, I have 4K HDR 60Hz selected along with enabling both Match Dynamic Range and Match Frame Rate - based on a few YouTube videos that I saw.

For now, I am working on this in my setup....

After researching the internet a little bit, I have a little better understanding of chroma settings 4:4:4, 4:2:2, and 4:2:0. My AppleTV 4K shows the latter two in the Chroma settings as selectable. However, I can't get it to lock on 4:2:2.

In my setup, I have a short HDMI cable (~4') connecting AppleTV 4K to Onkyo. I have a longer HDMI cable (~12') connecting Onkyo to the TV. I am trying to understand why I can't get the AppleTV 4K to lock on to Chroma setting 4:2:2, it stays locked in on 4:2:0. If I take the Onkyo out of the equation and hook the AppleTV 4K directly to the TV with either of the two HDMI cables separately, the AppleTV 4K will let me select 4:2:2 quite readily. I goofed around in settings of the Onkyo last night to see where there may be a setting that I might be missing - will dig into it more tonight with the manual in hand.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2021 07:41PM by SKYLANE.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Understanding the Chroma settings on the AppleTV 4K
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: August 12, 2021 11:44PM
If you don't use the Onkyo for switching other inputs, feed the Sony directly and use ARC for sound.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Date: August 12, 2021 11:58PM
Filliam...

I do use Onkyo AVR for switching other things:

- BD/DVD Player
- TiVo Bolt+
- AppleTV 4K
- Gaming Device

I have considered your thought process though. I was thinking about putting the AppleTV4K on ARC to the Sony TV. Then putting the Onkyo on a different Sony TV Input. Adds some more remote control activity to the mix, will consider that later after I work my way thru the Onkyo settings.
Date: August 12, 2021 11:59PM
For those curious about Chroma, I found this guy’s description and graphics pretty useful in this short video:

[m.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2021 12:01AM by SKYLANE.
Date: August 13, 2021 01:19AM
Found solution:

Both my Onkyo AVR and Sony TV had to have HDMI signal format selected to ENHANCED instead of STANDARD.

Still studying what the difference is between those two settings, ENHANCED and STANDARD...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2021 02:29PM by SKYLANE.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 64
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020