advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Apparently the test of SOS contact list on Apple Watch alerted 911
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: August 14, 2021 12:04AM
Was running a test for an elderly friend who just purchased an Apple Watch. I activated the SOS in hopes that it would reach out to the emergency contacts on the friend's list. It called 911 instead and the call was terminated. The concerned folks at my friendly police dispatch called back and we had a chat. Apologized for the errant test and verified things were ok. Thought I would pass this on to people on the forum as lesson they don't have to learn themselves.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/2021 12:04AM by pRICE cUBE.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Apparently the test of SOS contact list on Apple Watch alerted 911
Posted by: Speedy
Date: August 14, 2021 12:13AM
Expect a cop to appear at the door to double check that thins are okay.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: August 14, 2021 12:21AM
Speedy
Expect a cop to appear at the door to double check that thins are okay.

i think in some cases it’s required by law. in a domestic violence case it’s not unusual for the abused to say everything’s okay.

If you want to fix our country, work with us in the states. statesproject.org

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: August 14, 2021 04:27AM
pRICE cUBE
Was running a test for an elderly friend who just purchased an Apple Watch. I activated the SOS in hopes that it would reach out to the emergency contacts on the friend's list. It called 911 instead...

Emergency SOS first calls emergency services (the police) and then sends messages to your emergency contacts identified in the Health app.
[support.apple.com]

Same thing happens with "Fall Detection" on the Apple Watch. It messages contacts only after calling emergency services and playing the "I've fallen and I can't get up" message.

Posted by: testcase
Date: August 14, 2021 04:05PM
Back in the days of HARD WIRED home phones, each time I bought a new phone, I'd program 911 into one of the auto-dial slots. I ALWAYS stayed on the line and explained to the 911 operator that I was simply testing a new phone and that there was NO "emergency". Over the multiple calls made over multiple years, the 911 operators were ALWAYS understanding and appreciative of what I was doing. Now that there are more cellphones than hard wired landline numbers, it's more challenging to determine EXACTLY where a 911 caller is. On the "Find My" App, I've seen reported locations off by a half mile (and on the other side of railroad tracks)! If a person REALLY needs help from 911, they should remain on the line to be able to give whatever additional help 911 may need in order to find you.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: August 14, 2021 04:22PM
I don't know if it's statue law anywhere that police response to any/every 9-1-1 call, but it's certainly policy of many if not most PDs and SOs that they respond.

Many dispatchers are trained to call back and assume that someone may be under duress or in danger, and not expose them further will trying to get confirm the need for police action.

AppleInsider posted a story about an older/elder bicycle rider who when off the edge of a rode, and lost consciousness.

His Watch, a gift from his son, called EMS, then his son.

When Dad woke regained consciousness, he was in hospital, and I think his son was already there.

I don't recall how his son knew where he was, as he could have been contacted by responders, or the son could have used Apple's Find My Dad.

I am that Masked Man.

All you can do, is all you can do.

There’s trouble — it's time to play the sound of my people.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: August 14, 2021 04:26PM
RAMd®d
I don't recall how his son knew where he was, as he could have been contacted by responders, or the son could have used Apple's Find My Dad.

I think the Watch may send GPS coordinates as that's how they let emergency services know where the wearer is.

If you want to fix our country, work with us in the states. statesproject.org

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: Diana
Date: August 14, 2021 11:48PM
I gave my mom a Watch once fall detection became a thing. I have one too. I can tell you, it does indeed call 911, and then the person listed as the emergency contact—in that order. Mom was in a skilled nursing facility this past January. She took a tumble trying to get out of bed late one night. She may not remember much of that stay, but she does remember the firemen who showed up.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: August 15, 2021 12:10AM
My watch called 911 while I was working. I was suited up in a tyvek suit with an n95 mask, gloves, head sock, the whole 9 yards. I couldn’t respond because of my situation. It took me 5 minutes to strip off all my PPE.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: Maddog
Date: August 16, 2021 05:58PM
My wife did not know about this feature on the iPhone. If you have it turned on (I think on by default), and you manage to squeeze up volume button and other side button 5 times, it send an SOS to your listed emergency contacts and calls 911. We got home from a bike ride and she was trying to turn the phone down and apparently activated this. Her concerned friends called. Then she left phone on charger and we were watching TV and the sheriff showed up. We had a nice discussion. We laughed about it, but then not even a week later, she did it again. This time, turned down the 911 assist. Now it is disabled. smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 117
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020