advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
I think it's time for a new keyboard, OR...
Posted by: wurm
Date: August 14, 2021 12:49PM
...is there a recommended easy and safe way to clean an aluminum keyboard? I like the Apple Aluminum keyboard, and I already have two older ones in various stages of (non) working condition. I replaced them with a Matias version back in November of '17, and the letters on the keys seem to be fading (along with my eyesight). Yes, I know if i were a touch typist i wouldn't need to look at the keys, but I'm not, so I do.

I don't need wireless, but I'm not against it. Any personal recommendations for a replacement, considering I'd like to stay with this style? So far I'm considering:

1. sticking with Apple (overpriced)
2. another Matias (though the letters may fade again)
3. McAlly from Amazon

Something else? Oh, yeah. If there's a good recommended way of cleaning, I may just keep what I have.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: I think it's time for a new keyboard, OR...
Posted by: jdc
Date: August 14, 2021 04:40PM
Unplug it, wet a paper towel with windex and rub

Or baby wipes. Which is what I use.

I had the same issue with my matis

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: August 14, 2021 04:54PM
Wurm,

Clean if you can but if that doesn't work, don't hesitate to buy another Tactile Pro. The issue you describe affected older models. There are also many excellent alternatives to the Tactile Pro. Checkout my threads about mechanical keyboards for details. Or, if you want to see what's out there in both models, switches and keycaps, go to mechanicalkeyboards.com at [www.mechanicalkeyboards.com].

Wirecutter reviewed mechanical keyboards but I question their assertion that the keyboard of choice is a model without a numeric keypad and what they _didn't evaluate when it comes to keyboards for the Mac. Read my comments to their reviews and you'll see why. However, I did discover the Varmilo keyboard I'm using at my office as a result of their article. I just bought the model and key switches for it that suited my standards, not theirs.

Robert
Date: August 14, 2021 05:52PM
Thanks, jdc. You just saved me about $50. The baby wipes worked fine and should tide me over for a while. At least the keys are cleaner now, although the printing on them still seems a bit faded.

Robert, I respect the fact that you like your Varmilo or Tactile Pro, but I actually like the feel of the aluminum chicklet keys rather than the big mechanical switch keys. Plus, those keyboard tended to catch more of my crumbs over time. smiling smiley
Date: August 14, 2021 06:08PM
Wurm,

I hear you on that. Old-school style keyboards aren't for everyone! - lol!

Robert
Date: August 14, 2021 07:01PM
I have to try the new apple "magic" keyboards... but like you, I'm not a touch typist and really prefer the low and thin apple AL ones.

I also like the full size wired ones with the keypad. have several of the BT ones floating around, might have a couple brand new never used ones.

Like you, I tried the matias one, there might even be a review here on MRF... its just not quite the same. even the plastic on the keys felt different. and the the rub off after a few months... ugh. I ended up going ebay, from here, $85 shipped. I think OWC might have some too.

[www.ebay.com]

Date: August 14, 2021 07:18PM
I was fortunate. When my work Apple Aluminum one started acting up, they asked if I wanted a new wired one or wireless. I chose the wireless (Magic), with the numerical keyboard, and it's been great. It's easy to make those decisions when spending someone else's money. smiling smiley
Date: August 14, 2021 07:44PM
jdc,

Please stop pushing the idea that the letting on the Tactile Pro will rub off. That was an issue that affected an older version of it. I think it was the 1st and 2nd generations that got hit by the issue and the time frame is the mid to early 2000s, i.e. 2005 through 2008. These models are long off the market. Newer versions including the current model do not suffer from the same problem.

Robert
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: August 14, 2021 08:32PM
I’ve had good luck with hand sanitizer… lots of it around these days …
Date: August 14, 2021 08:37PM
Not a Tactile Pro. No one said tactile pro. =)

Mine was a Matias FK318S slim AL. Bought mine looooooong after 2008.

In fact, it was Jan/Feb 2019, Here is where I posted about it: [forums.macresource.com]

Replaced with the Apple from ebay one April 2020... a year and half ago... and the one Im currently typing on. Zero worn off letters. Ive got 2 other Apple ALs, both look beat... but only one has the A and S keys worn, still 80% dark.

Posted by: Diana
Date: August 14, 2021 11:41PM
Is there anything else wrong with the keyboard? Any other reason to replace it? These might be of use to you then: Keyshorts. Granted, I have only looked at them for my 2015 MBP (Hong Kong keyboard) so I’m not sure if it works for you or not. Cheaper than a new keyboard, and a lot of choices in the style.

If what you see isn’t appropriate then, of course, look deeper.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: August 15, 2021 04:13AM
I'm looking for a keyboard to replace my K811.

Every time I look, I find one that's 90% of what I want, but I want 98 minimum.

I don't know what kind of keys the K811 uses, they may be keys over rubber bubble membranes.

Mechanical keys are ok for a bit, but they eventually annoy me.

The Apple chiclet aluminum keyboards are a definite 90%, but I want an illuminated keyboard.

I may need one for day and one for night.

I am that Masked Man.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: August 15, 2021 06:40AM
jdc,

My mistake and apologies. I thought you were talking about the Tactile Pro. Typically, it’s the model that comes up in conversation when Matias is mentioned in a thread. My fault for not checking the link in the OP, which leads to the aluminum chiclet model, which differs significantly from the Tactile Pro.

Robert

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2021 07:35AM by Robert M.
Posted by: sekker
Date: August 15, 2021 09:15AM
Depending on what you need to do to clean the keyboard, I’ve used a true Magic Eraser on an inherited Apple aluminium (the one announced by Ives) to good effect. Some of the keys were filthy.

It did take more than a week to dry inside however.

But it’s now my daily driver when I’m on site for my work.

I’m otherwise a Macally fan. I have found them to be reliable and a good feel in terms of responsiveness.

As for the recent chiclet keys - I measured, I am a little faster on my 2018 laptop. But it’s way noisier than older or newer keys. I think the new keys on the 2019 Intel MBP and M1 MBA / magic keyboard is clearly preferred for my work. I haven’t retested, I might not be quite as fast typing on it, but the feel is much better IMHO.
Date: August 15, 2021 09:21AM
Diana
Is there anything else wrong with the keyboard? Any other reason to replace it? These might be of use to you then: Keyshorts. Granted, I have only looked at them for my 2015 MBP (Hong Kong keyboard) so I’m not sure if it works for you or not. Cheaper than a new keyboard, and a lot of choices in the style.

If what you see isn’t appropriate then, of course, look deeper.

Hmmm...a quick look shows me only keyboard stickers for laptops. Maybe I just didn't look hard enough. Good idea, though. Thanks
Date: August 15, 2021 12:29PM
Robert M
jdc,
My mistake and apologies.
Robert

Pffft. No need to apologize. We are a light and breezy bunch. Amiright?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 120
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020