advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
OK, that hack solves the 2011 MBP GPU problems, but kills the battery
Posted by: space-time
Date: August 15, 2021 09:43AM
there is a hack to disable the AMD GPU and use only the integrated Intel GPU. There are a couple of issues though

1) You can no longer dim the screen. 100% brightness all the time
2) Sleep does not work. If you put the machine to sleep, the screen never comes on again. You need to force restart, or log in remotely and restart
3) external display does not work.
4) I am calibrating an OWC battery I received from a MRF friend and it happened I had Coconut Battery open. I just got warnings that battery temperature was too high (as high as 47.7C) and this will reduce battery life.
5) SMC fan Control does not work, fans are always 2000 RPM. I think this is related to 1 and 2 above.

if anyone know how to change the default FAN speed, please share. Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2021 09:44AM by space-time.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: OK, that hack solves the 2011 MBP GPU problems, but kills the battery
Posted by: p8712
Date: August 15, 2021 09:47AM
Make sure the CPU wasn't especially active? Would rev the fams regardless sod SMCfancontrol settings. So would a hot battery.
Date: August 15, 2021 11:18AM
This is the hack

[dosdude1.com]

it was idle, I can try a CPU intensive task to see if the fans speed up.
Date: August 15, 2021 02:48PM
I decided to try the FPGA firmware flash.
Posted by: p8712
Date: August 15, 2021 04:36PM
space-time
I decided to try the FPGA firmware flash.

Have not heard of this...
Date: August 15, 2021 07:27PM
[doslabelectronics.com]

$20 for the license key, that Lattice HW-USBN-2A ICSP programmer seems to be around $20 on eBay, altho a new one is $200. And some soldering. I think I can even make a POGO adapter like he has in that video
Posted by: SKYLANE
Date: August 15, 2021 08:23PM
space-time

As you already know, I went the route of popping the resistor off the logic board on my 2011 MBP *. I did use the DosDude1 method of installing Catalina on the machine. Some notes that might be helpful if you decide to go that way are as follows:

(1) Regarding brightness control:

Not too long ago, an update popped up on my 2011 MBP with an update to DosDude1 software to fix the brightness. So that is working.

(2) Regarding sleep:

I found a local electronics shop near me that I plan to take my Infinity subwoofer to in the coming week. I plan to ask him if he can do that small wire jump that I described in my thread quite awhile back regarding my modification to my 2011 MacBook Pro. That wire jump is suppose to fix the sleep issue, I will report back on how that goes.

EDIT: I will post this in a new thread in a week or two. I had an electronics shop do the jumper mod for me. The 2011 MBP goes in and out of sleep just fine now. However, I can't seem to control screen brightness anymore. I will mess around with it some more and see if I can get brightness control to come back. Right now the screen brightness is fine...

(3) Battery:

I put a new battery in my machine last year, runs great and happy with longevity. Since my GPU is killed in my setup, there is no power being lost there.

(4) Caution on WiFi:

In 10.15.7, I could not get WiFi to connect for the life of me. Went back to 10.15.6 and works fine.

(5) Thunderbolt port:

Even though I get no graphics out of there, still passes data.

(6) DisplayLink:

I bought a device from OWC shortly after I made my mod called a DisplayLink that connected to the USB port. With the software, was able to control another monitor that way. Let me know if you want more details on that. [forums.macresource.com]

(7) Fan issues:

I have had none, I am guessing due to the dGPU not pumping out heat. Before that mod, it was fan noise most all of the time.

I put an OWC Doubler in this machine years ago, taking out my problematic optical drive. I put the stock drive in the Doubler, and put an OWC SSD 480GB drive in that unit. Also, put 16GB of RAM in this unit quite some time back. With the mods* I made, this 2011 MBP still rocks!

* 2011 MBP dGPU/AMD Modification Reference:
[forums.macresource.com]
[forums.macresource.com]

Edited 13 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2021 01:12AM by SKYLANE.
Date: August 15, 2021 08:31PM
I bought the Lattice HW-USBN-2A ICSP programmer and the JTAG Pogo Pins adapter, each was $20 and the license key is also $20. I plan to do this in about 2-3 weeks when I get the parts (the lattice FPGA is coming from China). Is successful, I can offer to repair other MBPs for people here at license cost ($20) + shipping, or I could re-sell both of these as a kit on eBay and I bet I get most of my money back.

I think my EE colleagues have these in the lab at work, so I could have tried to take the machine there one weekend and ask them to borrow the FPGA flashing tool, but I prefer to have my own and help other people if opportunity comes up.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: August 16, 2021 05:57PM
space-time
I bought the Lattice HW-USBN-2A ICSP programmer and the JTAG Pogo Pins adapter, each was $20 and the license key is also $20. I plan to do this in about 2-3 weeks when I get the parts (the lattice FPGA is coming from China). Is successful, I can offer to repair other MBPs for people here at license cost ($20) + shipping, or I could re-sell both of these as a kit on eBay and I bet I get most of my money back.

I think my EE colleagues have these in the lab at work, so I could have tried to take the machine there one weekend and ask them to borrow the FPGA flashing tool, but I prefer to have my own and help other people if opportunity comes up.

I have two 2011s and will keep your offer in mind should the need arise!!!

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 102
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020