advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
I just watched a pretty great Christmas show, Ted Lasso S2, E4
Posted by: deckeda
Date: August 17, 2021 09:00PM
I don't pretend to understand the vagaries of episodic TV shows. Yes these would have all been filmed months ago but most TV shows attempt to show holiday episodes near holidays, yeah? This one was the latest episode; E5 comes out this Friday.

But if you already have an Apple TV + subscription you probably already saw the show. And if you didn't, well it was still pretty great. Even in August.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: I just watched a pretty great Christmas show, Ted Lasso S2, E4
Posted by: A-Polly
Date: August 18, 2021 12:20AM
I enjoyed it, too. But wasn't expecting a Christmas episode so early in the season!
Posted by: mstudio
Date: August 18, 2021 08:05AM
I really enjoy the show and didn't mind a Christmas show in August. I have to turn captions on, however.
Posted by: MartyStickle
Date: August 18, 2021 08:20AM
mstudio
I really enjoy the show and didn't mind a Christmas show in August. I have to turn captions on, however.

Me too to the captions!

Asheville, NC Area
Posted by: SteveO
Date: August 18, 2021 08:46AM
I also turn on captions. Sound people these days usually make the mix so hot that it overpowers dialogue. I hate that. Ugh.

Very much enjoyed S1. Started watching S2E1 and the wife and I turned it off after the inciting incident. (Involving a dog.) It disgusts us how many shows and movies use the cheap and gross device of animal cruelty as fodder. Ditto for violence / murder against kids.

I do enjoy some Xmas in summer, but at this point am not enthused about picking up Lasso again. And that's a real shame as it was a charming show. Was. At least for us.
Date: August 18, 2021 08:52AM
I think everyone above would agree with me SteveO you’d enjoy the Christmas show. But yeah, there’s defiantly some “dark humor” there.

What do you say, team, am I right about my recommendation for Steve? Keep in mind the scene with Roy, Keely and how they reacted to his niece’s issue had me howling with laughter.
Posted by: Microman
Date: August 18, 2021 09:44AM
Well, it is a TV show. And apparently they chose to have the dog involved. Certainly no dog haters on the show, and certainly they were not celebrating the fact.

I watched, and it was ok. I have watched all of season 1, and will continue to watch. Good writers.

We have 2 dogs, they didn't watch the episode.....
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: August 18, 2021 01:39PM
Keep in mind that while it is an upbeat, and yes, gentle show, it's still not suitable for all. There's a lot of cursing, adult situations and plot arcs.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 18, 2021 03:24PM
DeusxMac
Keep in mind that while it is an upbeat, and yes, gentle show, it's still not suitable for all. There's a lot of cursing, adult situations and plot arcs.

....so perfect for you....???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: August 18, 2021 05:23PM
Taking place in another county, cursing remains more of a cultural issue, not at all an arbiter of maturity.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: August 18, 2021 07:01PM
Skipping immediately down to this window as I've only seen up to S2E2.

(R2D2's little brother).

It's so long between series that I try to dole the Eps out.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: August 19, 2021 09:10AM
deckeda
Taking place in another county, cursing remains more of a cultural issue, not at all an arbiter of maturity.

Not sure I understand your point here.

It is an an American comedy streaming television series, created by a group of Americans, streamed by and American owned subscription service.

Apple TV+ is available worldwide, and Lasso's reception in different countries would, of course, be different depending on the culture of each particular country.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: August 19, 2021 09:11PM
DeusxMac

Apple TV+ is available worldwide, and Lasso's reception in different countries would, of course, be different depending on the culture of each particular country.

Interesting thing with Apple TV+ productions. I watched an animated movie a few months ago that had a bit of Oscar buzz. It was good but not the great that I expected and afterwards I realized that it really didn't have American points of reference. Disney movies that are set in different cultures still have US aimed points of reference to me. Watching the credits I realize the production did not originate from the US. I forget what country it was. Ireland? Finland? I really don't remember. What I do recall is for the first time thinking Oh, that film really wasn't targeting an American audience. I found it refreshing actually and thought it was cool Apple was funding projects like that.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 107
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020