Posted by: Fritz
Date: August 18, 2021 10:22AM
[barnfinds.com]

!#$@@$#!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: get it while you can
Posted by: TheCaber
Date: August 18, 2021 10:31AM
A little Bondo, a little buff and wax, and she's good to go!

=TC
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: August 18, 2021 10:31AM
Those wrecks are sold only for the title.
Posted by: Ammo
Date: August 18, 2021 10:34AM
A little Bondo, a little buff and wax, and she's good to go!

A lot of Bondo.

Where is there dignity unless there is also honesty? - Cicero

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2021 10:37AM by Ammo.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: August 18, 2021 10:38AM
you're all wrong.

with a little work I could easily turn it into a blue 1972 Dino 246.

and a third of a mil$

!#$@@$#!
Posted by: Thrift Store Scott
Date: August 18, 2021 10:39AM
mrbigstuff

Yep, that, the VIN, and the build plates. For '67 and '68 Mustangs, if you've got those you can buy a brand-new, rust-free body and start over fresh. I'm not sure if '69 and '70 bodies are being reproduced yet, though.

[www.yearone.com]

WARNING- If I posted a link in the above message, assume it is at minimum "NSFW- Language". Occasionally you'll be wrong.

Lie to me if you must, but don't lie to me and insult my intelligence in the same sentence.

Resist the Thought Police: George Orwell's book 1984 was meant as a warning, not an instruction manual.

"Political correctness is just intellectual colonialism and psychological fascism for the creation of thought crime" - Steve Hughes

What's my "Super Power"? I can make active threads go stone-dead with a single post. I try to use this power only for good and not for evil but, you know... stuff happens.
Posted by: p8712
Date: August 18, 2021 10:44AM
Would be a fun EV conversion.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: August 18, 2021 10:46AM
Thrift Store Scott
mrbigstuff

Yep, that, the VIN, and the build plates. For '67 and '68 Mustangs, if you've got those you can buy a brand-new, rust-free body and start over fresh. I'm not sure if '69 and '70 bodies are being reproduced yet, though.

[www.yearone.com]

Right, I guess that someone may just pull together the various parts with a Coyote/Tremec combo and an IRS out back. But then that's a bit of cash that might be a tough ROI. Probably wouldn't be appearing at a future Barrett Jackson (or it might on second thought!).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2021 10:48AM by mrbigstuff.
Posted by: iaJim
Date: August 18, 2021 10:50AM
That steering wheel could be worth a little money.
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: August 18, 2021 11:50AM
It looks like my '73 Beetle after the fire.
I sold the charred remains to my mechanic for $50.
Posted by: kj
Date: August 18, 2021 12:02PM
I thought it was a Camaro confused smiley. I guess it could be just about anything, but still.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 18, 2021 12:16PM
.....thought this would be about.....young.....free.....nubile......sex......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: August 18, 2021 12:17PM
Thrift Store Scott
mrbigstuff

[www.yearone.com]

Do you know if anyone offers a replacement coupe body? Only see fastback and convertible bodies on the site.
Posted by: timg
Date: August 18, 2021 12:27PM
Someone cue Spicoli!

Skill without imagination is craftsmanship. Imagination without skill is Modern Art.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: August 18, 2021 12:30PM
mrbigstuff

yup. Paperwork and swapping tags to a donor car. According to the law you can get away with it, but the resulting car, no matter how meticulous the work, its still a fake. The identity of a car is the frame, and the VIN number stamped into it.

If I replaced the frame on one of my Buicks with an Olds Cutlass frame, it would now be, legally, a Cutlass.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

[www.youtube.com]
Date: August 18, 2021 12:58PM
macphanatic
Thrift Store Scott
mrbigstuff

[www.yearone.com]

Do you know if anyone offers a replacement coupe body? Only see fastback and convertible bodies on the site.

I haven't seen any coupe bodies for sale, but I don't exactly have my finger on the pulse of the Mustang restoration market. I also haven't seen any reproduction '65 or '66 Mustang bodies for sale, but that doesn't mean they're not available.

When I first read about the '67 and '68 Mustang bodies, the article mentioned plans for producing first generation Camaro bodies as well, but I don't know if anything ever came of that.

WARNING- If I posted a link in the above message, assume it is at minimum "NSFW- Language". Occasionally you'll be wrong.

Lie to me if you must, but don't lie to me and insult my intelligence in the same sentence.

Resist the Thought Police: George Orwell's book 1984 was meant as a warning, not an instruction manual.

"Political correctness is just intellectual colonialism and psychological fascism for the creation of thought crime" - Steve Hughes

What's my "Super Power"? I can make active threads go stone-dead with a single post. I try to use this power only for good and not for evil but, you know... stuff happens.
Date: August 18, 2021 04:43PM
Racer X
mrbigstuff

yup. Paperwork and swapping tags to a donor car. According to the law you can get away with it, but the resulting car, no matter how meticulous the work, its still a fake. The identity of a car is the frame, and the VIN number stamped into it.

I don't disagree with you, but a better example than the car in the original post would be finding a Mustang almost exactly as you'd have ordered one new from the factory with everything still there and working BUT the car is nothing but rust, patches, Bondo, and prayers from the door handles down. In that situation, replacing (what's left of) the body as a whole seems the prudent and sensible course rather than welding on 50 separate patch panels that may or may not fit as advertised to an already decaying structure.

Racer X
If I replaced the frame on one of my Buicks with an Olds Cutlass frame, it would now be, legally, a Cutlass.
True, but what if you found an all-original, well cared for '68 GS convertible with a whole bunch of unusual and desirable options that just happened to have a severely rusted frame that was beyond repair- Would you put another frame, specifically one from a different '68 Skylark convertible, underneath it to keep it going?

Date: August 18, 2021 08:41PM
Yes, TSS, because they both are fully boxed frames. Grabbing a regular hard top frame would be obvious if you just stuck your hand on the frame while kneeling.

This is why numbers matching is far more than just the engine and trans having the same VIN sequence.

This is also why you can buy a brand new Shelby Cobra with a modern engine and the title says 1966 Shelby Cobra. They have a lot of original frames left over. Same with DeLoreans.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

[www.youtube.com]
Date: August 18, 2021 09:19PM
When you have a very rare car worth well into the 6 figures, maybe even 7 when complete, that 50-100 grand for finding a donor panels and saving the frame is peanuts.

My GSX had a cracked engine cross member where it is welded to the PS frame rail. Broken weld 3/4 of the way around. There was no question that the frame was going to be fixed. Further proof those engines were seriously under rated from the factory.

[www.youtube.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 105
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020