advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Now that Mike Richards is out, who do MRF members think should host Jeopardy?
Posted by: timg
Date: August 23, 2021 01:04PM
Poll
Who would you pick for the latest new Jeopardy host?
Only registered users are allowed to vote for this poll.
48 votes were received.
Mayim Bialik 9

19%
Joe Buck 0

0%
LeVar Burton 16

33%
Anderson Cooper 0

0%
Katie Couric 0

0%
David Faber 0

0%
Dr. Sanjay Gupta 1

2%
Savannah Guthrie 0

0%
Ken Jennings 10

21%
Dr. Mehmet Oz 0

0%
Robin Roberts 1

2%
Aaron Rodgers 4

8%
George Stephanopoulos 0

0%
Bill Whitaker 0

0%
None of the above 7

15%

Who should get the gig? Pick one from the list or vote none of the above and add your selection in your post.

Skill without imagination is craftsmanship. Imagination without skill is Modern Art.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Now that Mike Richards is out, who do MRF members think should host Jeopardy?
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: August 23, 2021 01:06PM
Deep Mind in a suit.
Re: Now that Mike Richards is out, who do MRF members think should host Jeopardy?
Posted by: raz
Date: August 23, 2021 01:06PM
I thought Buzzy did the best job. LaVar might have been good, but was clearly unprepared.

--------------

Embarassing myself on the Internet since 1978.
Posted by: p8712
Date: August 23, 2021 01:08PM
Steve G.
Deep Mind in a suit.

Dev Null?
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: August 23, 2021 01:12PM
MAVIC

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Posted by: Rolando
Date: August 23, 2021 01:30PM
Will Ferrell

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: August 23, 2021 01:30PM
LeVar, Mayim or Ken.
Date: August 23, 2021 01:32PM
Rolando
Will Ferrell

I was disappointed he wasn't asked to guest host.

Skill without imagination is craftsmanship. Imagination without skill is Modern Art.
Posted by: rgG
Date: August 23, 2021 01:36PM
raz
I thought Buzzy did the best job. LaVar might have been good, but was clearly unprepared.

I voted for Ken, but I really think Buzzy might be better.
Lavar did not do a good job. I was surprised and disappointed.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: Buzz
Date: August 23, 2021 02:00PM
David Faber did an excellent job, but it doesn't feel like the right gig for him for the long haul. Ken needs voice training, and with it, he'd be perfect. Sanjay was surprisingly adept, while Dr. Oz pretty much stunk up the joint. I had high hopes for Bill Whitaker, be he underwhelmed. Gotta say Buzzy did OK, but I'm not sure I could handle him day in/day out. Joe Buck is too dang loud for a game show; stick to sports. LaVar, Katie, Savannah, Robin, an Aaron all dropped deuces on the stage. George and Anderson, while good, both obviously enjoy their day jobs, and other side hustles too much to pursue Jeopardy as a full-time gig. Mayim could probably handle anything asked of her, including out-hitting and out-pitching Shohei Otani.... Maybe Bill Nye, The Science Guy, or Anderson's cousin, Dr. Sheldon Cooper could audition?
==
Posted by: vision63
Date: August 23, 2021 02:06PM
No "*$%&ing" celebrities!
Posted by: freeradical
Date: August 23, 2021 02:07PM
All these Jeopardy Host threads should be combined, and made into a sticky thread.
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: August 23, 2021 03:01PM
Best choice would be Eugene Levy who (and though he really like Will Ferrell's parody) Alex Trebek himself thought did the best send-up of Trebek. If you're unfamiliar with it, look up "SCTV Half Wits" on YouTube from about a dozen years prior to SNL's Celebrity Jeopardy.

Posted by: MikeF
Date: August 23, 2021 03:23PM
Craig Ferguson
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: August 23, 2021 03:25PM
OK I'll ask:

Who's Buzzy?
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: August 23, 2021 03:30PM
Charles Barkley
Posted by: Acer
Date: August 23, 2021 03:50PM
The ghost of Carl Sagan
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: August 23, 2021 03:51PM
MikeF
Craig Ferguson

Damn, this would be fantastic. I don't think they'd make it four questions into the first round, though.

Loved his late night show; I laughed so hard most times I watched it I had trouble breathing.

Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: August 23, 2021 04:03PM
MikeF
Craig Ferguson

Holy @#$%&, that would be amazing!

It is what it is.
Date: August 23, 2021 04:30PM
Lew Zealand
OK I'll ask:

Who's Buzzy?

2nd cousin, twice removed.... cool smiley

Former TOC Champ, Austin David "Buzzy" Cohen, he did guest hosting run during this year's TOC.

He's been in a couple of Jeopardy's special events over the years.
Loud, outspoken, on the cusp of obnoxiousness, good sense of humor, likes long walks on the beach, fine dining, etc.
==
Posted by: vision63
Date: August 23, 2021 04:34PM
N-OS X-tasy!
MikeF
Craig Ferguson

Holy @#$%&, that would be amazing!

Okay, maybe one celebrity!
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: August 23, 2021 04:48PM
Let's just be happy that no thought of using Watson.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: August 23, 2021 05:26PM
Sanjay Gupta sounds good, but I’d rather he didn’t dilute his authoritativeness as a medical spokesperson with being a game show host. I love Levar, but the consensus seems to be it just wasn’t his wheelhouse. I like him to the point I’d rather not see him struggling in a position that just doesn't have his name on it.

From the list, that leaves me with Robin Roberts as my first choice.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
As of July 16, 2022, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is now available by simply dialing 988. The previous number, 1-800-273-8255, will remain active.

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
Date: August 23, 2021 05:41PM
Zoidberg
Best choice would be Eugene Levy who (and though he really like Will Ferrell's parody) Alex Trebek himself thought did the best send-up of Trebek. If you're unfamiliar with it, look up "SCTV Half Wits" on YouTube from about a dozen years prior to SNL's Celebrity Jeopardy.
Excellent choice.
Posted by: m.paris
Date: August 23, 2021 05:42PM
rgG
raz

I voted for Ken, but I really think Buzzy might be better.
Lavar did not do a good job. I was surprised and disappointed.

I agree with this. Jennings would be good, Cohen would probably be better, but Burton was terrible - I think he was the worst of the whole group.
Date: August 23, 2021 05:43PM
Did Ken Jeong try out? He was a medical resident in New Orleans with one of my college roommates, long before he got famous for being funny. Certainly checks the box for brains, despite some of the characters he's played on the screen (to say nothing of the dopey game shows).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2021 05:43PM by Will Collier.
Date: August 23, 2021 06:03PM
Blankity Blank
I love Levar, but the consensus seems to be it just wasn’t his wheelhouse. I like him to the point I’d rather not see him struggling in a position that just doesn't have his name on it.

From the list, that leaves me with Robin Roberts as my first choice.

I like LeVar, but he's such a USC zealot, and that just cuts too far across the grain of this die hard UCLA Bruin's psyche.... cool smiley
as noted, ultimately not his strongest suit.

Robin is a class act, but most of the other guest hosts/hostesses took to the task in stronger fashion; though Robin's raw talent was apparent.
I think w/ enough practice and polish she could grow into a competent hostess....
though I'm thinking some of the peeps already ahead of her on the list could/would equally benefit (and improve) from the same practice and polish.
==
Date: August 23, 2021 06:05PM
Will Collier
Did Ken Jeong try out? He was a medical resident in New Orleans with one of my college roommates, long before he got famous for being funny. Certainly checks the box for brains, despite some of the characters he's played on the screen (to say nothing of the dopey game shows).

Ooooo, I think he might be very good.
Maybe they will give him a try out, as they said they will be doing more guest hosts.

David Faber was Fantastic, but I don't see wanting to leave his gig at CNBC. It is a much more mentally job than being a game show host and, he is a born and bred New Yorker. I don't see him leaving for CA.

Posted by: Plant Goddess
Date: August 23, 2021 06:06PM
I think Ken Jennings would be a good choice, partly because he is already identified with Jeopardy. In my opinion Buzzy was really good especially when comparing him to guest hosts that have spent hours in front of the camera. I thought maybe LaVar Burton would be good but he was one of the worst celebrity hosts. He doesn't want to host the show. He wants to be the star. His style and speech patterns were a distraction.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2021 06:08PM by Plant Goddess.
Date: August 23, 2021 06:23PM
Something to keep in mind: Whoever takes the job on a permanent basis will, in effect, be barred from doing anything else in show biz from that point forward -- the demand on one's time made by hosting a daily TV show are just too great. Remember that Trebek did one thing and only one thing in the show biz world: He hosted Jeopardy!

Seems to me this would eliminate a lot of potential celebrity hosts.

It is what it is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2021 06:23PM by N-OS X-tasy!.
Date: August 23, 2021 07:06PM
Mayim Bialik has been asked to take the first two weeks of taping.

Ken Jennings has effectively been eliminated because of some past online postings he made. No way they can take him now.

No one they pick will be universally accepted. They would have been better off if they just picked a replacement and let him walk onstage.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

Posted by: Racer X
Date: August 23, 2021 07:08PM
Ombligo
Let's just be happy that no thought of using Watson.

Or Clippy.

Or Bob.

“A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand.” Seneca the Younger

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

Judge Lee wrote that “we cannot jettison our constitutional rights, even if the goal behind a law is laudable." 9th Circuit Court of Appeals

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2021 07:08PM by Racer X.
Date: August 23, 2021 07:09PM
Ombligo
Ken Jennings has effectively been eliminated because of some past online postings he made. No way they can take him now.

Maybe not:

[screenrant.com]
[www.yahoo.com]

It is what it is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2021 07:10PM by N-OS X-tasy!.
Date: August 23, 2021 07:18PM
rgG
Will Collier

Ooooo, I think he might be very good.
Maybe they will give him a try out, as they said they will be doing more guest hosts.

My old roommate knew Jeong had been doing stand-up, but had no idea that he'd broken into actual show business until he went to see The Hangover. He didn't even know Jeong was in the movie until he saw him leap out of the trunk of a car bare-ass naked. Ed jumped up out of his seat, pointed at the screen and yelled, "OH MY GOD--THAT'S KEN!!!"

Fortunately the rest of the crowd was too busy laughing to have him booted out...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2021 07:19PM by Will Collier.
Date: August 23, 2021 07:24PM
Will Collier
My old roommate knew Jeong had been doing stand-up, but had no idea that he'd broken into actual show business until he went to see The Hangover. He didn't even know Jeong was in the movie until he saw him leap out of the trunk of a car bare-ass naked. Ed jumped up out of his seat, pointed at the screen and yelled, "OH MY GOD--THAT'S KEN!!!"

That reminded me of this:

Well, this giant dude comes in, about 5 foot 40 - I mean, he was big. Throwed himself down like a fool on a stool. Picked up his fork, took a big bite of that moose turd pie.

Well, he threw down his fork and he let out a bellow and he yelled, "MY GOD! THAT'S MOOSE TURD PIE!

"...it's good, though!"

It is what it is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2021 07:24PM by N-OS X-tasy!.
Date: August 23, 2021 07:27PM
Oddly, for all the LeVar bashing, he's tied with Ken Jennings for the most votes on the poll at this point.

Posted by: wurm
Date: August 23, 2021 07:28PM
I often end up watching the Game Show Network while having lunch and was quite surprised at how adept Brook Burns is at hosting. She does Master Minds and The Chase (a show which which I still don't understand). Anyway, I think she'd be great hosting Jeopardy. She seems very bright, she's fairly mellow and seems to realize that the contestants are the real stars of the show. In fact, while looking up a little about her, apparently there was some thought about it.

But of those already mentioned, I could see Buzzy doing it.
Date: August 23, 2021 08:02PM
Who is this Buzzy of whom you all speak?

It is what it is.
Date: August 23, 2021 09:36PM
N-OS X-tasy!

Buzzy Cohen
Former tournament of champions winner who did a guest host spot.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2021 09:38PM by rgG.
Date: August 23, 2021 10:12PM
rgG
N-OS X-tasy!

Buzzy Cohen
Former tournament of champions winner who did a guest host spot.

He seems to be a pretty popular choice - how come he's not included in the poll?

It is what it is.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: August 24, 2021 12:00AM
Zoidberg

Five years ago he might have jumped, today doubt he'd accept it. He's busy building his own empire while shepherding his entire family into the business.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: August 24, 2021 01:03AM
Plant Goddess
I think Ken Jennings would be a good choice, partly because he is already identified with Jeopardy. In my opinion Buzzy was really good especially when comparing him to guest hosts that have spent hours in front of the camera. I thought maybe LaVar Burton would be good but he was one of the worst celebrity hosts. He doesn't want to host the show. He wants to be the star. His style and speech patterns were a distraction.

My word! A newbie -it's been so long we've all likely forgotten any previous protocol.

Welcome aboard thumbsup smiley
Posted by: fauch
Date: August 24, 2021 03:42AM
I'm shocked no one has voted for Joe Buck... smiley-laughing001
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: August 24, 2021 08:59AM
N-OS X-tasy!
Something to keep in mind: Whoever takes the job on a permanent basis will, in effect, be barred from doing anything else in show biz from that point forward -- the demand on one's time made by hosting a daily TV show are just too great. Remember that Trebek did one thing and only one thing in the show biz world: He hosted Jeopardy!

I read somewhere that a typical gameshow "host" works around a month to a month and half per YEAR. Now how that month is scheduled is another story. Could be all in one month. Or scheduled throughout the year. I don't know how demanding that is.

Date: August 24, 2021 11:34AM
N-OS X-tasy!

Most gameshows tape five episodes per day, so a week of shows every day. One of the rules is that contestants have to bring five changes of clothing in case they win. Then they can buy more overnight. If the show is holiday-themed, they have to bring appropriate clothing for it, and keep track of wearing the right stuff at the right time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2021 11:34AM by Ombligo.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: August 24, 2021 02:17PM
N-OS X-tasy!
Remember that Trebek did one thing and only one thing in the show biz world: He hosted Jeopardy!

He also pitched Colonial Penn insurance and various other products.
Date: August 24, 2021 02:32PM
Thanks for welcoming me. I have been a lurker for sometime. One of the best forums there is. Finally decided to become part of it.
Date: August 24, 2021 02:41PM
RgrF
Plant Goddess

My word! A newbie -it's been so long we've all likely forgotten any previous protocol.

Welcome aboard thumbsup smiley
Sorry. Still learning the ropes of using the forum so I replied without using the quote. There is an extra comment in this thread but will repost here. Thanks for welcoming me. I have been a lurker from time to time. One of the best forums there is. Finally decided to become part of it.
Date: August 24, 2021 05:06PM
Lux Interior
N-OS X-tasy!
Remember that Trebek did one thing and only one thing in the show biz world: He hosted Jeopardy!

He also pitched Colonial Penn insurance and various other products.

That's advertising, not show biz, but point taken.

It is what it is.
Date: August 24, 2021 05:08PM
Holy moley! Registered just three days ago -- she still has that new Forum Member smell!

Welcome!

It is what it is.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 150
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020