advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Cleaning bearings on vintage(?) skateboard (and newer rollerblades) - cleaning techniques?
Posted by: SKYLANE
Date: August 24, 2021 12:06AM
I have a skateboard that I put together probably in that late 70s:

BOARD: Logan Earth Ski
Model: World Pro Champion
Length: 26.5"

TRUCKS: Bennett Pro

WHEELS: SIMS Pure Juice Competition (red)
Dimensions (approx.): 2" Wide x 2.5" Dia

Had a lot of fun with this board in my teenage days, it probably did not see quite as much time as some of my earlier skateboards. Been fun seeing it over the years sit in the backroom bringing back memories. Now that I have more time on my hands, I want to clean it up and refurb the wheels. I also have relatively new rollerblades that I want to at least get semi-decent at riding.

For both the skateboard and the rollerblades, I need a technique for periodic cleaning of bearings when needed - any recommendations? There are lots of techniques that come to mind, but would like to come up with something that is easy to manage the cleaning waste products. I do have a toxic materials depot by my place with free drop-off, so I can make use of that if needed. I have seen online the use anything from citrus cleaners to paint thinner. Just curious if some of you have experience to share for cleaning up bearings.

I picked up some "Bones Speed Cream" today at a skateboard shop for when I reassemble cleaned bearings. Not sure if I will need to replace the truck bushings, will have to track those down if needed.

(I noticed on eBay some people asking for several hundred dollars for their Logan Earth Ski skateboard. Not sure if they will get that, but was interesting to see. :-) )

BTW: If a suggested cleaning technique can also help with cleaning my road bike chain, even better.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2021 01:01AM by SKYLANE.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Cleaning bearings on vintage(?) skateboard (and newer rollerblades) - cleaning techniques?
Posted by: wurm
Date: August 24, 2021 07:00AM
Can't help with the skateboard wheels, but before i got the shaft-drive Suzuki, I used to use kerosene to clean the chain on the old Honda.
Re: Cleaning bearings on vintage(?) skateboard (and newer rollerblades) - cleaning techniques?
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: August 24, 2021 07:43AM
"Refurbish the wheels"? The actual wheels are made of sophisticated mixes of Polyurethane that usually wear out from use, before they get stale from aging. Old polyurethane is likely to get hard, brittle and less adhesive.
Regarding bearings, my only experience was with inline skates, and the 608 bearing size.
Few 608’s were made to take apart, some didn’t have shields on one side to facilitate easy cleanup in and re-greasing. The best technique is to soak the bearings in a jar full of cleaner, shake jar, remove bearings, wipe down, brush, then spin, soak and shake again. Let them completely dry, and apply new oil/grease at the inner edge of the shield. For speed, use lighter oil, but you need to lube more often, grease last longer and needs to be cleaned less often. Water is death on these bearings, they pit ant rust almost instantly. If they get wet, immediately saturate with WD-40, then clean and lube. Bearings precision is measured on the ABEC rating, usually odd numbers up to a rating of 9. Anything less than 5, simply replace rather than spend time and money cleaning. Precision is the accuracy of the ball and the raceway roundness, or how well machined they are. It does not imply speed of the bearing, many faster spinning bearings we made to be a bit "loose". Meaning that the diameter of the ball was smaller than the raceway, less tight, to facilitate easier less accurate spinning. Tighter bearings are better for machinery that need more precision, like CNC machines.
For many years I was a factory rep for Bauer inline skates, Hyper Wheels, and a few bearing companies.

PS: I am not a Skateboarder, but, I think the truck bushings/bumpers are also polyurethane and would likely harden over time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2021 07:46AM by Ken Sp..
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: August 24, 2021 10:07AM
Sealed bearings or loose balls?

A few years ago, I picked up a Bahne fiberglas board on eBay that was practically identical to the one I owned in 8th grade. I found some NOS Cadillac wheels and bushings. The bearings were easy to clean, being loose bearings. The neighborhood kids were shocked to see the loose bearings.

Once refurbed, that thing is a hoot to ride, albeit slightly terrifying compared to contemporary longboards.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: August 24, 2021 11:30AM
"Vintage"... I remember when you had to build your own skateboard; you couldn't go to a store to buy one. old fogey smiley
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: August 24, 2021 12:15PM
I've got my Peralta Bones from about that same era and I've never lubed or cleaned the bearings. They are still smooth.
Posted by: SKYLANE
Date: September 01, 2021 01:11AM
Ken Sp.

Thanks for your insights. I decided to keep the board and the trucks, and replace everything else. Since the wheels are so old, decided to just buy new ones with new bearings to go with them. The Sk8Kings.com had a Bennett Truck Refurb kit that replaces all the soft goods for my old trucks, bought the wheels from them too. I am looking forward to getting that memory put back together.

I made a note of your experience with bearings and skates in case I have questions. I bought some rollerblades a few years ago, have not tried them out except for a few initial rides. Now with extra time on my hands, I want to see if I can get reasonably good at maneuvering on those.

Rode a ton of bicycle miles last year (at least for me), 110 rides totaling 2200 miles - I enjoy riding. Looking forward to adding some moderate skating with the rollerblades into the mix of exercising outdoors, maybe a little bit skateboard too. :-)

Markintosh

I remember cadillac wheels! That was a blast from the past hearing you mention those. One of my first boards, I am pretty sure, had Cadillac wheels (or, I am remembering friends that had them).

The bearings on my existing Logan Earth Ski board are sealed, they were pretty grimy after 40+ years of sitting around. Just decided to replace wheels, bearings and other soft goods (bushings, pivot cups).

Jeff

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/01/2021 01:16AM by SKYLANE.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 100
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020