advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Indoor temperature question that I'm embarrassed to have to ask.
Posted by: wurm
Date: August 24, 2021 10:23AM
Not only embarrassed not to know the answer, but slightly ashamed to even be complaining about such a first-world problem. But here we go.

Temps in the 80s outside...and humid. Central air set to 75. Actual temp in the house is 69. I'm sitting here working from home and I'm freezing my arse off. i have my usual summer wardrobe of shorts and a T-shirt on, but I'm also wearing socks and a light fleece jacket just to stay comfortable. There's no point in shutting off the A/C because it doesn't even kick on because it's so cool in here. I'm not about to turn on the heat. I find myself stepping outside every once in a while just to warm up.

So what's the solution? I just opened a few windows, but that seems ridiculous when it's hot and humid outside.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Indoor temperature question that I'm embarrassed to have to ask.
Posted by: space-time
Date: August 24, 2021 10:31AM
How dit it get so low?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2021 10:35AM by space-time.
Posted by: clay
Date: August 24, 2021 10:36AM
where is the thermostat located in the house? where are you located in relation to that? Can you close vents in the area where it is too cold?

My office is in our below ground basement. Thermostat upstairs set to 78. My temp in basement usually in the mid 70's. Feels pretty good to me.

If your thermostat is located somewhere that is naturally warmer than where you are, you are likely to get uneven cooling between locations. Just one thought.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2021 10:36AM by clay.
Date: August 24, 2021 10:52AM
space-time
How dit it get so low?

Ecobee unit in the hallway. Set for 75 daytime (7a - 10p) and 67 nighttime (10p - 7a). But my wife has been known to drop it a couple more degrees when she goes to bed, sometimes as early as 8pm. Remote sensor in my computer room where I spend most evenings. Unfortunately, the register is right at my feet when I'm at my desk. I guess it wouldn't hurt to close off that register for starters. I already did for the register in the bathroom.

But my actual work area is in the living room. Actually, opening up the bay windows right in front of my work desk has already warmed things up a bit. But like I said, it seems silly to have to do that.
Date: August 24, 2021 10:57AM
You do what you need to do. No reason to freeze if you don’t have to.
Date: August 24, 2021 10:57AM
Socks, flannel pants and shirt.
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: August 24, 2021 11:04AM
B/c you are "sitting" there. Get up and move around. Get the blood flowing.

Also, some units have a dehumidify feature that will seek to remove moisture from the air with the side effect of the air running more than normal and really cooling it off lower than the temp is set to. The unit in my office does this. I can have the AC set to 74 but the temp in my office is around 70 and the AC is still going. But b/c it has the dehumidify feature on it keeps cooling until the moisture is removed from the air.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2021 11:05AM by bazookaman.
Posted by: chopper
Date: August 24, 2021 11:07AM
Whenever I feel that I am doing too much to climate control the inside of the house and maybe I should try to rough it I watch Key Largo and see all of those sweating people and then don't worry about it.

I can take the cold no problem. I can't do the heat any more.
Posted by: Gareth
Date: August 24, 2021 11:11AM
wurm
...and 67 nighttime (10p - 7a). But my wife has been known to drop it a couple more degrees when she goes to bed, sometimes as early as 8pm.

There's your "problem". If the nighttime temp is set to 67 (or colder), of course the house is going to be cold in the morning. Then, depending on the insulation of your house, it might take it a while to get up to "75" or so. So, yea, you only options are to rough it out in the cold, warm the house up by opening windows, or not cool the house down so much overnight.
Date: August 24, 2021 11:19AM
Thanks, all.

Yeah, I do actually get up and move around a lot. I have to remember to remove the socks and jacket before I go out to get the mail. ;)

Thermostat does have that "eco" mode for humidity, but I don't even notice it going on much, if at all.

All in all, I think Gareth has the right idea; to just live with it. I'll be bitchin' about staying warm in the winter soon enough.
Posted by: Forrest
Date: August 24, 2021 11:44AM
Turn your thermostat up to 78 degrees. This will save you some money on cooling.
Posted by: Don C
Date: August 24, 2021 11:54AM
With my window units, I have had to stop taking the number it is set to seriously and use the setting that makes the room(s) comfortable whatever that number is. if your thermostat setting of 75 is producing house temperatures in the 60's then what Forrest said is the easy solution, set the thermostat to whatever number creates a room temperature that is comfortable.

Sounds like "what is comfortable" might have to be negotiated in your household.
Posted by: Dennis R
Date: August 24, 2021 12:01PM
Maybe set nighttime to end at 4 or 5 and let the house slowly start warming up before you get up. It should still be comfortable for sleeping.
Posted by: testcase
Date: August 24, 2021 12:13PM
1: get a good dehumidifier

2: once that's up and running, bump the thermostat up (say to 78 degrees, you can experiment).

The house should SLIGHTLY warm up and, the dehumidifier should help dry the inside air.
Posted by: rgG
Date: August 24, 2021 12:25PM
I wish. Lol

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: freeradical
Date: August 24, 2021 01:57PM
I usually set the AC for 80-82 now. But only on hot days. A hot day is when it hits at least 100 outside.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: August 24, 2021 03:16PM
I hesitate to suggest this but I think you and your wife need to talk about this. Is she setting the temp to 67 and then sleeping under a pile of blankets as if it's winter?

Date: August 24, 2021 03:31PM
AllGold
I hesitate to suggest this but I think you and your wife need to talk about this. Is she setting the temp to 67 and then sleeping under a pile of blankets as if it's winter?

Interestingly, no. Well, let me clarify. She ends up pushing all the covers off her, and just has a single blanket over her shoulders. In the morning, my side of the bed has most of the covers on the floor.

Since I'm the only one home during the day now, I think I'll try the suggestions of raising the daytime temp to 78, and having the A/C adjustment time at 6am instead of 7.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: August 24, 2021 09:29PM
Maybe you can gift your wife a pedestal fan to blow on her all night long. That is what my wife did for me because I like it cool and she doesn’t.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: August 25, 2021 01:50AM
chopper
Whenever I feel that I am doing too much to climate control the inside of the house and maybe I should try to rough it I watch Key Largo and see all of those sweating people and then don't worry about it.

I can take the cold no problem. I can't do the heat any more.

This pretty much describes us. In our case old and New England grown and now planted in a desert area.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 84
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020