advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Use vertical monitor with Mac?
Posted by: chopper
Date: August 24, 2021 11:44AM
I saw this set up for old newspapers at the library.

Is it possible to run a monitor "vertical" like this on a Mac?

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Use vertical monitor with Mac?
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: August 24, 2021 11:52AM
Whoa! A Typositor! No, on further examination it's just a microfiche viewer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2021 11:53AM by DeusxMac.
Posted by: Gareth
Date: August 24, 2021 12:12PM
Vertical option has probably been around since the Mac OS 7/8/9 (Classic) days, although maybe back then it required a software extension? I believe there were some CRT monitors (Radius?) built to rotate between "horizontal" and "vertical" (although with a 4:3 monitor, it would be less dramatic a difference).
Posted by: rz
Date: August 24, 2021 12:19PM
Gareth
Vertical option has probably been around since the Mac OS 7/8/9 (Classic) days, although maybe back then it required a software extension? I believe there were some CRT monitors (Radius?) built to rotate between "horizontal" and "vertical" (although with a 4:3 monitor, it would be less dramatic a difference).

Yeah, I remember having a CRT that would rotate, probably in the OS 8 days. I thought it would be so cool. Used it that way for about a week and then realized I really didn't have a use for it that way and switched back.
Posted by: raz
Date: August 24, 2021 12:54PM
I just tried it on my 2018 Mini running Catalina and 2 Dell UltraSharps. Works just fine

--------------

Embarassing myself on the Internet since 1978.
Posted by: hal
Date: August 24, 2021 01:04PM
Back when I had a 3 monitor setup, I used the smaller left side monitor for finder windows only and it was vertical. I kept that set up for years but eventually decided that two 27" was fine.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2021 01:33PM by hal.
Posted by: sekker
Date: August 24, 2021 01:20PM
Around here, you can tell who is a programmer vs user - all programmer desks have their monitors set in the vertical format.
Posted by: datbeme
Date: August 24, 2021 01:30PM
Wow. Hadn't rotated my monitor like that in years. Just did it with my 27", and I couldn't even stand it for a few minutes. Made me uncomfortable and antsy.

Amazing how tall a 27" 16x9 screen seems in the vertical orientation.
Posted by: Pat
Date: August 24, 2021 01:51PM
rz
Gareth

Yeah, I remember having a CRT that would rotate, probably in the OS 8 days. I thought it would be so cool. Used it that way for about a week and then realized I really didn't have a use for it that way and switched back.

Radius Pivot was probably the most well known.
I think the one I have has the card in some version of an SE.
Date: August 24, 2021 01:56PM
sekker
Around here, you can tell who is a programmer vs user - all programmer desks have their monitors set in the vertical format.

Politely disagree.

I need to see the full line of code (which may be quite long)

--------------

Posted by: Bernie
Date: August 24, 2021 02:06PM
My ASUS ProArt Display PA248QV rotates like that but I don't use my home monitor like that. My work laptop yes. Portrait mode for code and manuals. Drove the German Bosch engineers crazy when I did that. When I knew I would be on the floor working with them I would roll out my cart with real Monitor and piano bench seat.

Staunton, Virginia

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2021 02:08PM by Bernie.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: August 24, 2021 02:54PM
DeusxMac
Whoa! A Typositor! No, on further examination it's just a microfiche viewer.

No, microfilm. Some will also work with microfiche.

Had similar model viewers at the library where I worked. The vertical monitor is semi okay, it would actually work better with a 16x10 or 4x3 monitor than it does wit the common 16x9 monitors.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2021 02:56PM by JoeH.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: August 24, 2021 04:05PM

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: AllGold
Date: August 24, 2021 04:13PM
Filliam H. Muffman

Aha. I forgot at one point Apple actually sold a Portrait Display.

Posted by: sekker
Date: August 24, 2021 05:12PM
raz
sekker

Politely disagree.

Fair enough. We do a lot of coding using scripting language like Python - which you may or may not call 'programming.'

Nevertheless, I can show you photos - our coders definitely prefer to do it vertically...
Date: August 24, 2021 07:01PM
sekker
raz
sekker

Politely disagree.

Fair enough. We do a lot of coding using scripting language like Python - which you may or may not call 'programming.'

Nevertheless, I can show you photos - our coders definitely prefer to do it vertically...

I'm sure. Some of the kiddies (under 30) are set up that way where I work

--------------

Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: August 24, 2021 07:08PM
Pat
Radius Pivot was probably the most well known.

That's the one I was trying to remember. Unique in its day, but lots of displays offer that functionality now, including my current display, the Dell S2721QS.

It is what it is.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: August 24, 2021 11:39PM
I do no coding.

But when I had the room for a second monitor next to my main monitor, I ran it in portrait mode.

It was mainly for Safari.

I hate the constant scrolling that I have to do on some websites, and worse, so many have a needlessly huge header across the top for whatever reason.

On top of that, many sites are in love with it moving and disappearing and repairing depending on which direction one is scrolling.

On my 'Book, those headers take up most of the display, so I can barely read anything without scrolling.

The kill script gets rid of it most of the time, though sometimes it also kills navigation.

I really have to think about once again making room for a vertical display.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: August 25, 2021 10:45AM
I'm currently viewing this forum on a 20" Dell 2001 in portrait mode, a 4:3 (ok, actually 3:4) 1200x1600 monitor. It's perfect for my needs and I have a Dell 2407 16:10 for widescreen next to it. One each for the job it does best.

Those of you who know your Dell monitors also know that maybe I should get new monitors sometime...
Date: August 25, 2021 12:12PM
Lew Zealand
I'm currently viewing this forum on a 20" Dell 2001 in portrait mode, a 4:3 (ok, actually 3:4) 1200x1600 monitor. It's perfect for my needs and I have a Dell 2407 16:10 for widescreen next to it. One each for the job it does best.

Those of you who know your Dell monitors also know that maybe I should get new monitors sometime...

I just retired a 20" 2001 when the replacement power supply from 10 years back went belly up.

--------------

Posted by: jdc
Date: August 25, 2021 08:24PM
Ive got a 2001 just stitting, with power supply. pretty sure it still works... if someone really wants it.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 113
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020