advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
I had my biopsy last week and saw my Urologist yesterday
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: August 25, 2021 07:20AM
My MRI/ultrasound guided needle fusion biopsy was done last Tuesday. It's a very targeted biopsy in that they can go through your rectum right to the tumor by using an earlier MRI and using an ultrasound probe, it sounds terrible in that you're awake but it really wasn't that bad. They did 7 tissue samples and found low concentrations of cancer in two samples. I saw my regular Urologist yesterday and he said this is really not even quite Stage 1 cancer, excellent news in that it was caught very early. He talked at length about options: radical removal of the prostate, localized external radiation(like 40 sessions), radiation seed implantation or a more conservative approach of observation. We decided to go with observation, he said it's what he would do if it were him. He said he has patients that he's been watching for 15 years with no changes. My prostate is still more than double the size it should be. He's putting me on a medication to shrink it and will also continue with Flomax. I will be seen by him every 6 months and we will do another MRI in a year and see if it changes. He's also putting in for genetic testing, somehow they can use my tissue samples to see exactly how aggressive the cancer will be in the future much like the genetic testing for women to see if they're predisposed for having breast cancer. I feel pretty good about it, I'm still having some slight pain also when I urinate I still have some blood but he said that was still normal even after a week. I believe everything is going to be ok.

Grateful11
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: I had my biopsy last week and saw my Urologist yesterday
Posted by: JoeM
Date: August 25, 2021 07:27AM
Happy to hear the results of the test were somewhat positive in that you have the option to wait and observe. Hopefully you’ll not need to take any action. Hope you feel better from the test soon!

JoeM
Posted by: DinerDave
Date: August 25, 2021 07:42AM
Glad to hear it was "best case scenario".

Hopefully, you can now relax and not wonder/worry.

Dave

Welcome to Dave's BBQ!

Many have eaten here....

Few have died
Posted by: space-time
Date: August 25, 2021 07:55AM
Good news indeed.

Hookers and booze at your place at 9 PM? Which one should we bring? You provide the other.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: August 25, 2021 08:12AM
Good news, and good luck !

I still remember my Grandfather's story about getting his physical at age 90 and the doctor saying "Well, your PSA is elevated. You will start having prostate problems in about 10 years."

My Grandfather said "Thank you !".

The doctor was confused.

"You implied I would live to be 100 !"

They laughed.
Posted by: p8712
Date: August 25, 2021 08:39AM
I’m glad. My father had a biopsy like that. He did not have a good time. Also advanced cancer.

Watchful waiting is a pretty good strategy. Keep in mind finasteride it’s not conducive to a good sex life, if they put you on it. I taking finasteride, I know.

Prostate cancer is such a slowly developing thing that is something you die with, not of.
Posted by: WHiiP
Date: August 25, 2021 08:41AM
Outstanding results. I will be praying for you and your medical team!

Bill
Flagler Beach, FL 32136

Carpe Vino!

Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire.
— David Rains Wallace
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: August 25, 2021 09:23AM
I'm glad to hear it. Thanks for the update.
Posted by: rgG
Date: August 25, 2021 10:03AM
Sounds like pretty damn good report to me.
I needed some good news, thanks!

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: wave rider
Date: August 25, 2021 10:17AM
Sounds like a good medical team, congratulations on the “watch and worry” diagnosis. Fingers crossed it stays that way.

=wr=
Posted by: rich in distress
Date: August 25, 2021 10:22AM
Smile on my face…
Cheers!
Posted by: DP
Date: August 25, 2021 10:58AM
Great news!

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: PeterB
Date: August 25, 2021 11:35AM
Great news, glad to hear! The watchful waiting approach does sound like the best way to go.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: Michael
Date: August 25, 2021 11:47AM
Good news to be discovered very early. I think the watchful waiting makes sense.

As an FYI, I had blood in my urine for 3 weeks after my prostate biopsy 2 years ago. My urologist had told me it would last a week; I checked after 2 weeks and he said it wasn't a problem and to not worry about it. It finally completely stopped a week later.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: August 25, 2021 01:03PM
Glad it’s not too serious. How often will they need to do a biopsy?

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2021 01:04PM by Speedy.
Posted by: Don C
Date: August 25, 2021 04:05PM
Joining the chorus of "good news."

Dad had prostate issues and periodically the doctor would give him a good reaming out which was pretty painful. After a few years, the doc admitted that he expected Dad to die of heart issues before the prostate became a problem and had he known that Dad would live so long he would have treated it differently. Dad died in his sleep at 90 ½!
Date: August 25, 2021 05:46PM
wave rider
Sounds like a good medical team, congratulations on the “watch and worry” diagnosis. Fingers crossed it stays that way.

Yeah my Urologist said they were over aggressive for a long time with these mild forms of cancer. He said they've learned a lot over the last 25 years.

Grateful11
Date: August 25, 2021 05:52PM
Speedy

Unless they see a change when comparing the two MRI's in a year they won't do another one. If my insurance will keep paying for yearly MRI's I'd rather go that way. I feel sure that biopsy probably cost more than an MRI. Dr. that did it was a Urology surgeon accompanied by two nurses, two large screens and a specialized table to lie on my side. The software alone for that system they said was $250K. Our local hospital has the equipment but won't buy the software to perform these precise guided biopsy's.

Grateful11
Date: August 25, 2021 06:02PM
Thanks everyone. I feel really good about it. He went into depth with every procedure. They scheduled a late appointment and by the time we got out of there all the other staff members had left. I think he spent over an hour going over everything and some just plain talking to us.

They gave the two of the samples that had cancer a Gleason score of 6. I had to look that up last week and found a very interesting article about this. I showed my urologist this write up and he said Dr. Herbert Lepor, MD is top notch on prostate cancer, at least I think that was the Dr. he said that about. There's several in this write up.

Michael he told me it was not uncommon to have blood up to a month but if it goes to clots to call him.

A Gleason 6 Tumor: Is It Cancer, and Should It Be Treated?
[ascopost.com]

Grateful11
Posted by: Speedy
Date: August 26, 2021 07:35AM
Thanks.

Grateful11
Speedy

Unless they see a change when comparing the two MRI's in a year they won't do another one. If my insurance will keep paying for yearly MRI's I'd rather go that way. I feel sure that biopsy probably cost more than an MRI. Dr. that did it was a Urology surgeon accompanied by two nurses, two large screens and a specialized table to lie on my side. The software alone for that system they said was $250K. Our local hospital has the equipment but won't buy the software to perform these precise guided biopsy's.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: August 26, 2021 09:57AM
Grateful11
Thanks everyone. I feel really good about it. He went into depth with every procedure. They scheduled a late appointment and by the time we got out of there all the other staff members had left. I think he spent over an hour going over everything and some just plain talking to us.

They gave the two of the samples that had cancer a Gleason score of 6. I had to look that up last week and found a very interesting article about this. I showed my urologist this write up and he said Dr. Herbert Lepor, MD is top notch on prostate cancer, at least I think that was the Dr. he said that about. There's several in this write up.

Michael he told me it was not uncommon to have blood up to a month but if it goes to clots to call him.

[ascopost.com]

Gleason 6 is very good news! Do you know the two numbers of the score?

Again, congratulations!

=wr=
Posted by: blooz
Date: August 26, 2021 10:12PM
Great news grateful11! At our age any kind of positive outcome to a test or procedure is a blessing.

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.
—Friedrich Nietzsche
Western Massachusetts
Date: August 27, 2021 07:06PM
wave rider
Grateful11

[ascopost.com]

Gleason 6 is very good news! Do you know the two numbers of the score?

Again, congratulations!

Thanks! BTW: My last PSA score was 5.7.

Here's what on the test results.
1. Prostate, "Les 1 Rt posterior lateral peripheral zone", needle core biopsy:
-Prostatic adenocarcinoma, Gleason score 3+3 = 6, grade group 1, involving 10% of 1 core

2. Prostate, right base, needle core biopsy:
-Prostatic adenocarcinoma, Gleason score 3+3 = 6, grade group 1, involving 5% of 1 core

3. Prostate, right mid, needle core biopsy:
-Benign prostate tissue with atrophy

4. Prostate, right apex, needle core biopsy:
-Benign prostate tissue with atrophy

5. Prostate, left base, needle core biopsy:
-Benign prostate tissue

6. Prostate, left mid, needle core biopsy:
-Benign prostate tissue with focal acute inflammation

7. Prostate, left apex, needle core biopsy:
-Benign prostate tissue

Clinical Information
Diagnosis:
R97.20 - Elevated PSA [ICD-10-CM]

Grateful11
Date: August 28, 2021 01:04PM
It is my understanding that they never find anything lower than Gleason 6 other than perhaps cadaver studies. PSA rate of change and doubling time is what to look for as an indicator of trouble. My PSA of 4.23 earned me my first visit to the urologist, 4 seems to be the magic number.

3+3 is a great number, %s look good to me, you and your team are proceeding in the right direction. thumbs up I am very glad for you!

I need to get my biopsy report, I’ve never really looked at it.

=wr=
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 119
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020