advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Any T-Mobile customers here and what are you doing about the breach?
Posted by: DP
Date: August 25, 2021 11:02AM
I switched from them a little over a year ago but I'm still a little concerned about what information of mine they still may have.

I figure I'd check so went to their site and couldn't log in. I got the "there is no account linked to that user name, phone number, and/or password".

So, that's a good thing I'm thinking....

Back to music...

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Any T-Mobile customers here and what are you doing about the breach?
Posted by: Microman
Date: August 25, 2021 11:24AM
We have a family of 7 on T Mobile. My Credit is locked.
Posted by: Michael
Date: August 25, 2021 11:39AM
Credit is frozen, changed our passwords and our pins, signed up for the Account Takeover Protection, signed up for the free McAfee identity monitoring thing, using 2fa.

But the frozen credit is key, to me.
Posted by: flareslow
Date: August 25, 2021 12:09PM
This:
MIchael
Credit is frozen, changed our passwords and our pins, signed up for the Account Takeover Protection, signed up for the free McAfee identity monitoring thing, using 2fa.

I guess with all the internet thieves out there, this is the new mode for the future. Credit will be frozen until needed.
Posted by: raz
Date: August 25, 2021 12:10PM
The message they sent me said only non-consequential data (name, address, ...) we taken. I'm under the impression there were several breaches of differing data.

--------------

Embarassing myself on the Internet since 1978.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: August 25, 2021 12:26PM
When was the breach, and when were emails sent?

I'm enough of a T-Mobile customer than I can't get the mobile hot spot or whatever it is they've been giving out free, but apparently not enough that I get notified of a breach.

They stopped sending me email updates that my free 250MB is being 'reset'.

I am that Masked Man.

All you can do, is all you can do.

There’s trouble — it's time to play the sound of my people.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: August 25, 2021 12:50PM
The breach was a week ago. They sent me an email the next day and a notice appears on my account online when I log in.

[www.cnn.com]
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: August 25, 2021 02:21PM
flareslow
This:
MIchael

I guess with all the internet thieves out there, this is the new mode for the future. Credit will be frozen until needed.
That's exactly how I'm treating it. Froze all of our reports in the wake of last year's identity theft, and they're staying that way until and unless needed.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: August 25, 2021 03:43PM
Already have credit karma.
I changed pw's and pins, turned on McAfee, but have been reluctant to freeze credit.
But .......

Just signed in and got the same message DP did.

!#$@@$#!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2021 03:47PM by Fritz.
Posted by: wurm
Date: August 25, 2021 04:01PM
Didn't get an email; got a text message last Friday at 7:01pm.
Date: August 25, 2021 05:31PM
For those hesitant to freeze their credit, I first did it in 2008 and it was a number of years before people generally were aware of what that was. I'd buy something in a store and they'd ask if I wanted to open a credit card to save 20% and I'd tell them I can't because my credit was frozen. They'd have no idea what I was talking about. In the last several years, people seem to all know about it.

Back when I started doing it, it would take anywhere from minutes to a half hour for credit to be frozen or thawed. Now it takes a second. It's very easy to do online. I keep a file with our various pins/codes and so on that we need and I just copy/paste them onto the sites. You can thaw credit and have it refrozen automatically after any given period of time of your choice, so a given use doesn't require doing it twice. So, for example, when we were going to port to T-Mobile last Nov, I thawed all 3 of my credit files right before we left to go to the store and set them to automatically refreeze at 6pm that day. We got there, they ran my credit and set up the account. The files refroze by themselves later that day. I used to try to find out what credit agency a given place would use and just thaw that one but I've stopped doing that since there's been a time or two when I was told one credit agency was used and it turned out to be a different one. I just thaw all of them now. Takes a few minutes.

I tend to obsess about things that can cause us problems and my wife has commented that I take things like the T-Mobile breach in stride without any real concerns (along with the other security breaches that we've been subject to over the years!). That's because our credit is frozen and so if somebody gets our information it's very unlikely that they can do anything negative with it.

One caution--be careful to keep the pins that Transunion and Experian give you or that you chose. It's apparently a major deal to get into those accounts if you lose the pin. Equifax has shifted from a pin to a regular login with a password. Again, I'd be careful to not lose that information.

Here's all you need to know about freezing credit: [clark.com]
Posted by: wurm
Date: August 25, 2021 05:40PM
Thanks, Michael. I've been using the head-in-the-sand approach, though I do keep a close eye on my credit card bills, and I check Credit Karma once in a while. BNut as easy as it seems to be to freeze/thaw, it's probably worth making small the effort.
Posted by: abevilac
Date: August 25, 2021 11:05PM
Here’s the text msg I received on Friday night. I suppose that the fact that they have NO information that indicates an SSN leak isn’t all that comforting. Have others received similar texts?

T-Mobile has determined that unauthorized access to some of your information, or others on your account, has occurred, like name, address, phone number and DOB. Importantly, we have NO information that indicates your SSN, personal financial or payment information, credit/debit card information, account numbers, or account passwords were accessed. We take the protection of our customers seriously. Learn more about practices that keep your account secure and general recommendations for protecting yourself: t-mo.co/Protect
Posted by: raz
Date: August 26, 2021 06:12AM
Yeah. That’s the one I got

--------------

Embarassing myself on the Internet since 1978.
Posted by: DP
Date: August 26, 2021 07:18PM
I froze my credit. Thx, all, for the advice...

Back to music...

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 53
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020