advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Window air conditioner question
Posted by: Microman
Date: August 25, 2021 01:40PM
I bought a Danby 12k window air conditioner at Costco. Currently I have it sitting next to the window it’s going to be installed on a strong work bench. I used their Nethome app to connect to WiFi and then downloaded the skill for Alexa. Alexa works fine. I did have to turn off 5Ghz on Eero system to connect.

Question: I have it turned on and temp dialed so that it should not turn on, yet every 20 or so? Minutes the air conditioner will come on and blow. And I ha e to agree with some it blows kinda loud. It’s not cooling when it blows and I don’t expect it to, but I also don’t expect it’s fan to blow every 20 to ? Minutes

You would think with its smart remote I could figure out how to make it come on when it gets hot and when it reaches temp to turn off

Is this the way window AC work now?

Danby DAC120EB7WDB
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Window air conditioner question
Posted by: Robert M
Date: August 25, 2021 01:55PM
Micro,

Did you check the settings? If it is like my Friderich, you can select the correct settings and it'll do its job and perform as expected. Doesn't matetr if it's power on via timer or manually. You set it and you're done. If it's like the Frigidaire in one of our rooms, you need to adjust the settings each time because it always goes to the defaults when you power it on manually ov ai the timer.

This also brings me to a key question... What settings did you choose for the machine and does it act like the Friederich or the Fridgidaire? Eco modes on ACs usually mean the fan and compressor go on and off to maintain the temperature. If the AC detects the temp is lower than you've set it for, then it'll stay in "off" mode. Once it goes above that temp setting, it'll kick in and do its job accordingly. But, if it's like the Friderich, it should remember the correct settings. If it's like the Frigidaire, return it for a quieter model, that remember settings properly.

Robert
Posted by: GGD
Date: August 25, 2021 01:58PM
Not sure if it applies to your brand, but I recently replaced the AC at my mom's and it has a "Money Saver" mode that sounds like what you're describing. It periodically runs the fan to I think suck in a good sample of room air and measure the temperature to see if it needs to startup the compressor and run the fan for a longer period to cool the room.
Date: August 25, 2021 02:12PM
The Friderich must be good as they are quite a bit more expensive. 30 - 60% higher it looks like. But nice to know it would be quieter and go on and off as described as per temp
Posted by: testcase
Date: August 25, 2021 02:43PM
Could it have anything to do with the humidity level?
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: August 25, 2021 03:27PM
We have a heat pump but it never gets the master bedroom cool enough in the afternoon (south-facing wall that absorbs heat). I've was thinking of putting a mini-split in for that room, but at $1200, it is a bit expensive. A 10k/btu window unit would only be $400.

I've never had a window unit and have been looking at an LG dual-inverter. I admittedly know virtually nothing about window units.

Anyone have any thoughts/warnings/advice?

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2021 03:30PM by Ombligo.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: August 25, 2021 03:28PM
GGD
Not sure if it applies to your brand, but I recently replaced the AC at my mom's and it has a "Money Saver" mode that sounds like what you're describing. It periodically runs the fan to I think suck in a good sample of room air and measure the temperature to see if it needs to startup the compressor and run the fan for a longer period to cool the room.

I was thinking along these lines too. An in-window unit will heat soak from outside temps. It needs to flush itself of that air to get an accurate read on the real temp.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Posted by: neophyte
Date: August 25, 2021 03:35PM
GGD

I have 2 Frigidaire window units that run their fans for 20 seconds or so 2-3 times an hour, then shut down. If it is warm, they turn back on, along with the compressor, after another 10 seconds or so.
Posted by: Don C
Date: August 25, 2021 03:47PM
The window a/c in our bedroom does that turn on, check the temp, and turn off every so often which I found disturbing in the middle of the night, so I set it to run the fan continuously, kicking in the compressor only when needed. The constant noise is better for sleeping than the switching on and off.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: August 26, 2021 01:34PM
Ombligo
We have a heat pump but it never gets the master bedroom cool enough in the afternoon (south-facing wall that absorbs heat). I've was thinking of putting a mini-split in for that room, but at $1200, it is a bit expensive. A 10k/btu window unit would only be $400.

I've never had a window unit and have been looking at an LG dual-inverter. I admittedly know virtually nothing about window units.

Anyone have any thoughts/warnings/advice?

I'd get the mini-split because it's a magnitude of order quieter and also at least twice as efficient. Plus, it's almost impossible to get a really good seal around a window unit (more insects can get in and insulation will be a little compromised).

On the other hand, if it's just for the bedroom, a 5000-8000 BTU unit should be plenty and you're looking at only about $200.

Date: August 27, 2021 01:28PM
Returned that Danby 18K to Costco, as it didn't fit my needs. And comparing it to a Frididaire that my son just gave me, its magnitude quieter.

I will search the web to see where those flex windows slide, or compare it to the one upstairs.

Thanks...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 88
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020