advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
3rd gen Apple Watch software upgrade
Posted by: p8712
Date: August 25, 2021 06:53PM
It just occurred to me, that if I upgrade my cell phones iOS to iOS 14, I will be forced to upgrade my Apple Watch and series 3 to be compatible. I think it is running five point something now? Can anyone comment on the speed and features upgrading will do to the watch?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: 3rd gen Apple Watch software upgrade
Posted by: space-time
Date: August 25, 2021 07:22PM
It’s OK but you won’t be able to update unless you reset it, then you can restore from a backup.
Date: August 25, 2021 07:58PM
space-time
It’s OK but you won’t be able to update unless you reset it, then you can restore from a backup.

Yeah, good to know. My main concern was a loss of speed. I only use a fraction of the features in the Apple Watch. My favorite being Apple Pay/nfc.
Posted by: space-time
Date: August 25, 2021 08:03PM
I didn’t set up ApplePay after the update because I was lazy. I use the phone instead. The other features I use often work OK, “Workout” seems a little slow today start sometimes but it works OK in general.
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: August 25, 2021 08:09PM
I use my AW 3 with the latest watch and XS Max with latest iOS. I mostly use it for the fitness and communication features so nothing much has changed for me since the update.

Here is what I had to go through to get it updated.
[forums.macresource.com]
[forums.macresource.com]

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Date: August 25, 2021 08:25PM
I love having Apple Pay on the watch because I could still pay for things without my phone or wallet. It also speeds up trips through the supermarket. Less time standing around in Covid land.

Price, it feels like an ordeal to upgrade these watches. I miss the pebble in that regard!
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: August 25, 2021 08:32PM
p8712
I love having Apple Pay on the watch because I could still pay for things without my phone or wallet. It also speeds up trips through the supermarket. Less time standing around in Covid land.

Price, it feels like an ordeal to upgrade these watches. I miss the pebble in that regard!

I don't think everyone with a a 3 goes through what I did.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Date: August 25, 2021 08:36PM
pRICE cUBE
p8712

I don't think everyone with a a 3 goes through what I did.

I had similar experiences once I unpaired.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: August 25, 2021 09:13PM
Ignoring sizes and materials, there are two different types of the Apple Watch 3.

The one that they sell now is the WiFi version.

When it premiered, there were both WiFi (a.k.a. "GPS") and WiFi/cellular (a.k.a. "GPS + Cellular") versions.

The WiFi version only has 8GB of storage.

The WiFi/cellular version has 16GB.

The WatchOS can take up 6GB or more on the watch. Updates can run about 1.5GB. On an 8GB watch, that leaves almost nothing for apps and photos and watch faces.

If you got the one that's cellular-capable then there's no problem installing OS updates.

If you got the one that's WiFi-only (a.k.a. "GPS") then you'll probably have to un-pair and erase it to free enough storage for any significant OS update.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2021 09:13PM by Sarcany.
Posted by: MartyStickle
Date: August 25, 2021 09:53PM
We found that the easiest way to upgrade an AW3 was to upgrade it to an SE.

Asheville, NC Area
Posted by: sekker
Date: August 25, 2021 10:41PM
p8712

I miss my pebble for sure. There are many uses that the Apple Watch is less elegant like as a remote control for podcasts and audiobooks.

If you have the 8GB Apple Watch series 3, I’d be hesitant to update unless you want to be forced to get new iron…
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: August 25, 2021 11:24PM
Sarcany
The WiFi version only has 8GB of storage. The WiFi/cellular version has 16GB…If you got the one that's cellular-capable then there's no problem installing OS updates.

Exactly. That's the one I have and I've never had an issue.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: August 26, 2021 01:40AM

Apple Pay is one of the top features of the Watch for me, for all the reasons you mention.

I think I even used it for Apple Pay on a website, though I can now use Touch ID with the M1 Book.

It's really handy for unlocking my 'Phone when I'm makedup, as well as unlocking my 'Book and mini.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 110
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020