advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Anybody using AirTags? Happy with them?
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: August 27, 2021 12:08PM
We're thinking of getting a couple to keep better track of keys which keep getting lost....(not looking for advice on key management, thanks-just AirTags or Tiles, maybe-TIA)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Anybody using AirTags? Happy with them?
Posted by: pdq
Date: August 27, 2021 12:40PM
Funny thing - not 4 minutes ago, my wife (iPhone 8) got a message to the effect that "this AirTag is being tracked by " me - her hubby. But the only AirTag we have is on my keys, in my pocket.

I guess we were close enough together that it determined the AirTag could have been on her person? But I've had this for a month and this is the first time she's gotten the message.

I can't really say much about how it works, since I haven't lost my keys or my iPhone since I got it. My understanding, when I got my iP SE (2020 version) was that the newest iPhones (iP 12) have a chip that will allow you to locate the AirTag to within feet, while my phone only would show it's geographical location (at home vs in the restaurant, for instance). Wasn't worth the hundreds of $ in price difference to me.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: August 27, 2021 12:53PM
I haven't followed the news much about AirTags. They sound like they're the same as Tile, but since it's baked into the OS it has better coverage. Tile I think required contact with someone having the Tile app.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: August 27, 2021 12:55PM
z--- Tile relied on other Tile users having their Bluetooth on and the app active.

Airtags rely on iPhone users with their Bluetooth on. A clear advantage.
Posted by: GGD
Date: August 27, 2021 01:23PM
A few months ago a friend of mine's kids got him a pack of AirTags for his birthday because he can never find things. Last week when I saw him I asked if he started using them, his reply was "I can't find what I did with the package". How ironic that he can't find his AirTags.
Posted by: JPK
Date: August 27, 2021 02:11PM
I like the IOS integration into "Find My". When I look - it sees them. I have not lost anything and don't plan to - so this is really just insurance.

JPK
Posted by: datbeme
Date: August 27, 2021 04:04PM
I'm not about to lecture you on key management. We use them for the same thing. Several teenage drivers makes it really easy to lose track of today's wireless keyfobs (and I'm as guilty as any of them). Mostly, it's a matter of someone having it in a pocket or bag and forgetting to put it back, but on a few occasions we've misplaced a key for weeks or even months at a time before eventually finding it within just a few feet of where it should have been.facepalm

They work great for this, and I love the integration in the Find My app.

It's nice having a dirt cheap replaceable battery, and I really don't mind not having a built in keyring. Silicone cases like the one below can be found for $10 for 4.

Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: August 27, 2021 04:33PM
UHaul truck I rented must have had one since I got the "being tracked by AirTag that is not yours"
Smart cheap way to keep an eye on their vehicles.
Posted by: testcase
Date: August 27, 2021 05:13PM
"How ironic that he can't find his AirTags."

ROTFL
Posted by: graylocks
Date: August 27, 2021 07:49PM
Ken Sp.

some folks on a guitarforum i use are considering using AirTags to track a guitar in transit from seller to buyer and including a self addressed and stamped padded envelope for the buyer to drop the Airtag in the mail back to the buyer.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: sekker
Date: August 27, 2021 11:50PM
We are happy with ours and will be getting more.

My daughter turned down a free one and then recently spent a day looking for her lost keys to her new apartment…
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: August 28, 2021 03:38AM
I got the four-tag set and have set up one so far, for my car keys.

Finding them with a compatible 'Phone is interesting.

Using Find My... will show one the approximate address if not within BT range.

So a walk around the premises is needed to get near enough to get a lock on the signal.

There a display on the phone that shows it's somewhere near you, and as you approach an arrow appears on the screen do direct you.

When you're on top of the tag, it give another indication, but I can't remember what that screen looked like.

My only real disappointment is the sound it emits when triggered.

It helps to find the 'Tag when it's right near you but out of sight for whatever reason.

The sound is possibly louder than the Trackrs I had, which all around were junk.

It's understandable that it's not very loud given the size of the 'Tag, but maybe if it was a little deeper, it would be within a more sensitive range of my hearing.

The test runs I've given made it easy to locate, possibly helped by the fact I'm the one that hid it.

A big plus is the replaceable battery, and a bigger plus is that it's easy to replace it, unlike my Trackr tags.

I got the same set of silicone cases as datbe, save for the colors, and they're quite satisfactory.

Using a tracker to track the shipment of an item sounds interesting, but there's one caveat.

After being separated from one's pair 'Phone for three or more days, the 'Tag starts beeping.

I don't know what happens after that.

If it keeps beeping, the battery will drain.

While it drain to the point the 'Tag is dead, or will it stop with enough juice to 'contact' a passing 'Phone to update it's location.

Or will not update if it hasn't moved since the last update.

It's still an interesting idea.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
And yes...
Date: August 28, 2021 03:40AM
...I'm happy with them.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Posted by: Ombligo
Date: August 28, 2021 09:09AM
Why not make one like the key-shaped USB thumbdives? it goes right on your keyring like a key, no extra case required. The last thing I need is one more bulky addition to my key ring.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/2021 09:10AM by Ombligo.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: August 28, 2021 10:22AM
RAMd®d
The sound is possibly louder than the Trackrs I had, which all around were junk.

I think the (latest) Tiles are quite loud.
Date: August 28, 2021 10:32AM
I hadn't tried Tiles because at the time, they didn't have replaceable batteries.

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: August 28, 2021 01:14PM
Ken Sp.
UHaul truck I rented must have had one since I got the "being tracked by AirTag that is not yours"

I wanted to put one in my rental camper, but it defeats the purpose if it tells people it is there.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: August 29, 2021 09:27PM
Guy sends AirTag to Tim Cook and others

[mashable.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 117
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020