advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Bought a minibike
Posted by: deckeda
Date: August 27, 2021 07:13PM
Actually I'd consider it a "large" minibike since it has a larger frame than most and a 196CC engine (a Honda GX200 clone). All told it's about 150 lbs. This bike is also sold under various brands and color schemes. It's a Coleman RB200 I've slightly modified.

Changes include:
Swapped muffler for header and new muffler
Swapped air cleaner for "K&N-like" alternative, with similar small valve cover vent breather
Larger carb jet so that it runs right with the above changes
Backed out the throttle stop screw
Removed on-off switch, installed new kill switch button
Swapped clutch/jackshaft for TC30 torque converter knock-off.

The rear fender would normally attach higher, under the seat rack but I won't be sacrificing the center-exit header because I hate all of the side exhausts that fit this frame and I don't have a welder, so I can't make my own header. What I'll probably do here is cut the rear fender in half and reinstall the two halves such that there's still some protection back there. Oh and I need a heat shield between header and seat bottom that I've melted a little.

It is indeed slightly mighty!

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Bought a minibike
Posted by: Z
Date: August 27, 2021 07:22PM
Whatcha gonna use it for / where at?
Date: August 27, 2021 08:12PM
Mainly bombing around the yards or fields at the house. There's a rat rod thing coming up and minis are often permitted to cruise inside, and the annual state horse championships too ... it fits perfectly in the 5ft bed of my old Tacoma. But it's a wee bit loud for all of that right now. I'd buy a quieter muffler for more public usage.
Posted by: chopper
Date: August 27, 2021 09:28PM
(Blank Stare)
Posted by: rich in distress
Date: August 27, 2021 09:38PM
chopper
(Blank Stare)

smiley-laughing001
Posted by: Forrest
Date: August 27, 2021 10:24PM
Nice looking mini bike popcorn smiley

I might be watching too much Vice Grip Garage on YouTube, but a fella wonders if an old license plate wired up under the seat might make a good heat shield!
Date: August 27, 2021 11:30PM
A license plate isn’t a bad idea. Thin yet strong yet flexible. Of course nowadays we don’t get plates every year so I might scavenge at the hardware store.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: August 28, 2021 01:51AM
deckeda
A license plate isn’t a bad idea. Thin yet strong yet flexible. Of course nowadays we don’t get plates every year so I might scavenge at the hardware store.

got any pink glass insulation lying around you could wrap in a few layers of foil? maybe that and the license plate.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: August 28, 2021 03:09AM
Years back I had a 750cc twin that only had velocity stacks and wire guards with an 1/8" mesh.

I pulled them off and replaced them with some K&Ns that worked well on my 750-4.

No joy.

They could almost be seen to collapse a little when I twisted the grip.

I finally found some bike Uni filters that allowed the bike to breath again.

Kneeling at the carbs, the unsilenced sound was awesome.

But on the bike it was drowned out be the even more awesome sound of the twin Conti exhaust.

That was a great bike.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: August 28, 2021 06:36AM
Don't forget the crutches and arm sling.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Date: August 28, 2021 09:56AM
Racer X
deckeda

got any pink glass insulation lying around you could wrap in a few layers of foil? maybe that and the license plate.

I do have some rock wool insulation and that stuff is basically fireproof. My issue is that I'm running the pipe too close to the underside of the seat; just 1/4" distance would probably be enough. But I can line the bottom of the seat with it and some metal and hopefully be good.
Date: August 28, 2021 10:16AM
Ombligo
Don't forget the crutches and arm sling.

Immediately the wife wanted to try it. I showed her the throttle, brake and stop switch, all of which she unfortunately immediately forgot in a panic.

While she was on it I went to flick off the choke for her and accidentally blipped the throttle lever on the engine. This slightly goosed the engine, no big deal and not enough to overrun the clutch except her hand wasn't on the brake lever and to hold on ... she yanked back on the throttle grip, launching the bike down a hill.

Panic ensued, and all I could do was watch it unfold. She never let up on the gas, and never used the brake, and was headed straight for the broadside of a horse trailer. At the last second she turned and dumped it, less than 5 feet from the trailer. After I pulled the bike off of her we had trouble restarting it ... and then had to change the oil, which had gas in it now.

She was fine, and got back on it it a few minutes later.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: August 28, 2021 10:21AM
First thing (IIRC) taught in motorcycle riding school is the brake. Where it is, application of such, and walking with bike and applying it while walking.
Date: August 28, 2021 10:42AM
walking with bike and applying it while walking.

Agreed that must happen first. Don't fire the engine, walk and then just coast and learn the brake.
Date: August 28, 2021 12:13PM
Sigh.
Okay, you're free to ride that death trap wherever you want. You are an adult.
However DO NOT let any kids or anyone else not familiar with a bike ride that thing.
You realize of course that the pulley set up on the LHS of the bike is a MAJOR safety issue. Hopefully an adult would not lose fingers if accidentally pulled into that mess but a child, either fingers or even a pants leg of jeans getting pulled in there could do really bad things to a kid's leg, hand, fingers etc.
Date: August 28, 2021 12:16PM
<<While she was on it I went to flick off the choke for her and accidentally blipped the throttle lever on the engine. This slightly goosed the engine, no big deal and not enough to overrun the clutch except her hand wasn't on the brake lever and to hold on ... she yanked back on the throttle grip, launching the bike down a hill.

Panic ensued, and all I could do was watch it unfold. She never let up on the gas, and never used the brake, and was headed straight for the broadside of a horse trailer. At the last second she turned and dumped it, less than 5 feet from the trailer. After I pulled the bike off of her we had trouble restarting it ... and then had to change the oil, which had gas in it now. >>>

You should sell that bike today and save the trip to the ER.
Posted by: hal
Date: August 28, 2021 01:23PM
chopper
Sigh.
Okay, you're free to ride that death trap wherever you want. You are an adult.
However DO NOT let any kids or anyone else not familiar with a bike ride that thing.
You realize of course that the pulley set up on the LHS of the bike is a MAJOR safety issue. Hopefully an adult would not lose fingers if accidentally pulled into that mess but a child, either fingers or even a pants leg of jeans getting pulled in there could do really bad things to a kid's leg, hand, fingers etc.

It's a really obvious danger now that you point it out - why wouldn't the maker install a simple cover for it?
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: August 28, 2021 02:28PM
Many older H-Ds have open primary belts, you'd think a person with "chopper" as their handle would acknowledge that.

[youtu.be]
Date: August 28, 2021 03:13PM
Of course it came with a cover, I just need to modify (cut) it to install it because in my install, the rear pulley runs very close to the bottom frame. "So raise the engine." I did, one inch (the standard solution).

And there are simpler "chain guard" style covers also. Same scenarios with the original clutch and jackshaft. You're always going to have a pulley of some kind on the left because that is where the PTO is. This design and it's application dates back many decades.

chopper

You should sell that bike today and save the trip to the ER.

(Blank Stare)
Posted by: rich in distress
Date: August 28, 2021 03:47PM
deckeda
(Blank Stare)

smiley-laughing001
Date: August 28, 2021 06:07PM
<<Many older H-Ds have open primary belts, you'd think a person with "chopper" as their handle would acknowledge that.>>

Yes. And in around 1991 I saw a guy lose all the fingers on his left mitt when he dropped his hand into that unguarded Milwaukee disaster.
Posted by: tenders
Date: August 28, 2021 07:06PM
As a Vespa owner, that exposed transmission gives me the heebie-jeebies. Also, a belt AND chain? Seems like a hassle.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/2021 07:06PM by tenders.
Date: August 30, 2021 11:18AM
tenders
As a Vespa owner, that exposed transmission gives me the heebie-jeebies. Also, a belt AND chain? Seems like a hassle.

The usual way uses a 2nd chain between clutch and jackshaft. That's a lot more of a hassle.

Your Vespa uses a more expensive (and complicated) version of what I'm using.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 89
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020