advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Could you help answer this question?
Posted by: iaJim
Date: August 29, 2021 09:27AM
A friend posed this question on Facebook. What do you think?

Let’s have a debate: the new iPad Pro or a 13” MacBook Pro? I use Adobe suite stuff, so to use that is important to me.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Could you help answer this question?
Posted by: Rolando
Date: August 29, 2021 09:47AM
It seems like the iPad experience is about 90% of everything the power user needs. My daughter and wife are both iPad only, but sometimes they need borrow my MacBook.

Sometimes you need a truck, as Steve Jobs would say.

If he can afford both, he will probably find himself using the iPad for MOST things, then will have to sometimes switch to the MacBook.

A 12.9" iPad with Magic Keyboard is NOT much lighter or thinner than a 13" MacBook Pro.

I would recommend the 13" MacBook Air.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: August 29, 2021 10:28AM
The more I'm around an iPad the more I like my Mac

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Posted by: jdc
Date: August 29, 2021 11:12AM
Seems easy.

You can’t run the Adobe suite on an iPad.

If it’s a budget thing, get a MBA. 99 percent as fast.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: August 29, 2021 11:58AM
Rolando
It seems like the iPad experience is about 90% of everything the power SIMPLEST user needs.

FTFY.

Call me when the iPad offers unfettered access to the command-line and lets you swap launch agents and extensions around. Then, maybe I'll consider it a decent toy for "power users."

...My mom tried to use an iPad for awhile, went back to a MBA (now a M1 MBP) because she couldn't deal with the primitive organization tools for email on an iPad, just wants to be able to have multiple message windows open and stacked up on the side of the screen, see/hide groups of folders easily, drag-drop between "folders" (mailboxes), and drag attachments in and out. This stuff isn't something I'd consider power-user features and still the iPad fails at it.

OTOH, my aunt uses an iPad in lieu of a laptop or desktop because the merest idea of drag-drop scares her. She uses only the Mail app and Safari and has to call for help when she accidentally hides/splits/shrinks the keyboard.

None of my clients use iPads to replace a laptop/desktop. It's still an accessory for all of them.

I know artists who like to draw on the iPad. (Tho most moved to MS Surface a few years ago.) A client of mine -- who is by no means a sophisticate -- uses a cellular iPad to access cloud-based databases for reports to help him scout properties for acquisition. Another client has an iPad in every conference room to control their presentations. Yet another will rave about it as a portable teleprompter. The iPad excels at this niche stuff, but these are not general-purpose computing jobs and the user has to adapt to the preset workflow on the device rather than adapting the device to his/her workflow.

iPads are not power-user devices.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2021 11:58AM by Sarcany.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: August 29, 2021 12:10PM
Sarc, I'm gonna disagree with you. I said 90%. Unless you spend more than 10% of your time in the command line.

I will an iPad does about 99%+ of what the average user does.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: August 29, 2021 12:28PM
Rolando
Sarc, I'm gonna disagree with you. I said 90%. Unless you spend more than 10% of your time in the command line.

The command line is not the whole of what defines a power-user.

Can you downgrade the iPad's OS to the OS that it shipped with to run an old app? Run Linux or Windows in a virtual machine? Mod app plist files on the iPad? Add/remove file-system support? Swap plugins in and out? Access a Thunderbolt video RAID at Thunderbolt speeds? Last time you booted from an external drive to troubleshoot? How many 4K/5K/6K displays do you have connected to yours? How's that 10Gb network connection from your iPad? Has your iPad's antivirus utility identified any PC or Office virus attachments in your email lately? Last time you removed a /Library folder to troubleshoot an app that was crashing on launch?

On my iPhone is a payment app that crashes on launch. The issue has persisted across multiple restarts, hard-restarts, deleting and reinstalling the app and ultimately across multiple wipes/reinstalls. On a Mac, this is something a power-user could probably troubleshoot pretty quickly. On an iOS device, I'm at the mercy of the maker who says they have multiple reports of this behavior and are looking into it.

iPads are niche devices. They are accessories. They are not general computing devices. They do not replace 90% of what a power-user does unless the power-user has moved to upper-management and does little more than respond to email these days.

Posted by: rich in distress
Date: August 29, 2021 12:39PM
iPad Pro is a niche device. It requires a task that justifies using instead or even concurrently with a computer.
Video or image is the only thing I can come up with, but there may be more.

Now, iPad is a different thing. It can do 99% of regular computing tasks, while being way much more secure than a computer. And cheaper.
It requires that the user adapts to a different paradigm, though. Not a challenge for me, but it is for many.
Full disclosure, I haven’t used the command line in 5 years… don’t have the need.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: August 29, 2021 02:38PM
While I'm stuck getting infusions for two days every three weeks, the big iPad Pro is my BFF. Ditto for road trips while wife or kid is driving. At home, or while stationary, one of the MBP's, or the MBA is preferable..., except at night during brain farts when again it is easier to reach for the iPP that resides next to the bed when not on out-of-the-home duty.

I'm all for getting both if you can afford 'em; maybe even buy 'em used/refurb'ed to seal the deal. They both have their advantages, and as Doc says, the iPP lacks in the total power department. If Adobe Suite is paramount, get the MBP first. Maybe figure out a budget, then see what you can score within it....
Good luck.
==
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: August 31, 2021 12:54AM
For me, I need to be able to see multiple windows from multiple apps, while I'm working. The iPad can't really do that' it's clunky at best.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 107
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020