advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
My new internet obsession: following the moment to moment activity of fire fighting in California
Posted by: hal
Date: August 29, 2021 11:47AM
I went on youtube to grab a recent update on the Caldor Fire that is threatening my beloved Lake Tahoe/Desolation Wilderness/HWY 50 corridor.

There are news reports, but they are so shallow - talking heads reading the script, but trying to make it look they are just having a conversation - trying to appear personally involved and expert in the subject - I hate this...

But I found a live broadcast of this woman narrating [www.youtube.com] as she jumps all over the internet. She's got her finger on flight operations with a little map showing where the aircraft are working, radio running in the background with official chatter that she competently translates, webpages with live sat info, webpages of fire watch webcams (this instead of manned towers of the old days), video from live TV crews, etc, etc, etc... Lots of viewers on live chat - many of them are knowledgeable local residents and firefighters. At times, it's exciting, but mostly it's very dull, but I've learned so much about how fires are fought - it's so damned impressive. These people are heroes.

A view from HWY 50 just below Twin Bridges of Lover's Leap on the left. The tiny village of Strawberry is at the bottom of the canyon on the right and is surrounded by fire. FFs are confident that Strawberry will be saved, but there is so much more danger. Today and tomorrow we'll see if South Lake Tahoe is in trouble. Evacuation SLT would be a nightmare since two of the three usual escape routes will be closed. This gal is also fearful for Carson City, NV.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: My new internet obsession: following the moment to moment activity of fire fighting in California
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: August 29, 2021 11:53AM
Thoroughly crappy situation...

I'm hoping that CalFire is going to go on a major recruiting and expansion drive, and also buy a bunch of "surplus" small airliners and triple the size of the Air-Tanker fleet.
Probably not... but, I have my hopes.
THIS is what my tax money is for. Fewer "tearing up sidewalks they just installed two years ago to replace them with prettier brick sidewalks" and more firefighters (paid better).

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Re: My new internet obsession: following the moment to moment activity of fire fighting in California
Date: August 29, 2021 12:01PM
I've read complaints about prisoner firefighters being essentially slave labor, but when they get out and have firefighting experience, they can't get hired on because they are ex-cons. I hope that's not true (don't believe everything you read on the internet), but it wouldn't surprise me at all...
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: August 29, 2021 12:03PM
I have also done more than my fair share of spending way too much time following fire progress. We have the Dixie to the north and the Caldor to the south to watch. It seems like only a matter of time before something impacts the North Tahoe area.

I like WildfireIntel.org for following what's going on with wildfire. It's particularly useful for new starts before the info machine gets rolling. The forum is really a place for pro firefighters to discuss fires. I would not dream of registering and asking inane questions as a member of the general public.

That said, the smoke was so bad, we took a four day break and headed to the coast. Our campsite had almost no service other than phone and simple text messages. It was nice to be forced to take a break from doom scrolling too.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: August 29, 2021 12:09PM
hal
I've read complaints about prisoner firefighters being essentially slave labor, but when they get out and have firefighting experience, they can't get hired on because they are ex-cons. I hope that's not true (don't believe everything you read on the internet), but it wouldn't surprise me at all...

I'm very much against ANY form of "forced" labor in prison, just for that reason...
I'm also very much FOR job training in prison. Sometimes these things are difficult to work out.
We also have a big problem in this country denying jobs to Ex-cons, when getting them decent jobs is a HUGE step towards not having them re-offend. I understand WHY people don't want to hire ex-cons - but, we need to fix this if we want fewer people re-offending.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: btfc
Date: August 29, 2021 12:19PM
“ I like WildfireIntel.org “

I’ll be checking it out, thanks!

Inciweb is my go to site.

[inciweb.nwcg.gov]
Date: August 29, 2021 12:33PM
lovely Lake Tahoe:

Posted by: Buzz
Date: August 29, 2021 01:33PM
Going on about 50 years ago, I had a bunch of buddies that went into firefighting. Of course back then, the fires here in Cali weren't nearly as bad as they've been lately. In the 1970's it didn't seem like it was that difficult to break into firefighting, but now that more firefighters are needed, there are many areas where breaking into firefighting is almost impossible.

Paul F. makes some good points, but in the meantime w/ all these fires raging, we need resources to put 'em out, ASAP. I don't care where the resources come from now, but once fire season is over, I'm all for overhauling Cali's firefighting paradigm so that the future will bode better.
==
Posted by: Marc Anthony
Date: August 29, 2021 05:17PM
The scale of the fire is just bonkers with so much beautiful forest already gone. This truly sucks.

Le poète doit vivre beaucoup, vivre dans tous les sens. - Verlaine
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: August 29, 2021 05:27PM
They just did a back fire that saved my friends General Store at Strawberry. The only thing that might stop this fire from dropping down into South Lake Tahoe is previous burn and the mainly trellis Desolation Wilderness (above Tree Line and mostly granite)
To feed your, and my obsession, [caltopo.com] with map overlays for current and historic fires (with IR heat spots). There are overlays for structures and wind.
Posted by: lost in space
Date: August 29, 2021 07:57PM
Tahoe in danger. I could almost weep.

Posted by: August West
Date: August 29, 2021 09:26PM
All, thanks for giving more immediacy to this horror. I used to spend a lot of time at Tahoe, and can't get these California fire images out of my mind.

Apologies to the anonymous forum member affected by my previous sig pic. It was my personal pic of a country expressing great grief as their leader, one of the most recognized people in the world, lay on his deathbed 8 years ago, days before he died. Like a naif, I did not realize it was offensively political, I considered it an expression of deep emotion and a reminder of the mortal coil's nature; that we all, great and small, can only hope to make a difference in our short time here, no matter the personal cost.

I'll post another pic from my work in South Africa that is, hopefully, apolitical.

Posted by: bfd
Date: August 29, 2021 10:43PM
Biding time until the Santa Anas start blowing later this month. There's plenty of fuel in the southern portion of the state. And in the far southern section, Mexico doesn't have nearly the firefighting resources that we have, and fire really knows no borders.
Date: August 29, 2021 10:51PM
I watched the Lovers Leap trail burn today on a live stream - that was surreal. It's looking really scary for South Lake Tahoe/Meyers area. People could die tonight - the fire just exploded today and high winds are due to start tomorrow. I'm seeing spot fires popping up all over Desolation Wilderness, but only via low rez heat sensor satellite so it's hard to tell how serious and widespread those fires are.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 106
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020