advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Son can’t connect M1 MBA to college wifi
Posted by: JPK
Date: August 30, 2021 09:52AM
Got my son a new MBA and is great. He used it all summer at our house on our WiFi network for a summer class. He is finally on campus but cannot get this mba to connect to the university wide WiFi system. It works fine on the Ethernet connection at his dorm. He worked with IT support for 3 hrs and just went into to the on campus apple store and they are at a loss too?

He is not a computer expert so it is difficult to trouble from afar with him.

Basically the mac is not trusting this network.

Any ideas what to check? Is there a setting not set right? I am thinking about a nuke & repavr and start from scratch but am not comfortable having him do this on his own.

Any ideas would be appreciated!

JPK
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Son can’t connect M1 MBA to college wifi
Posted by: space-time
Date: August 30, 2021 10:00AM
Try a new user account first
Date: August 30, 2021 10:01AM
Does anyone else have this issue with M1?
Posted by: mattkime
Date: August 30, 2021 10:10AM
space-time
Try a new user account first

this

Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: August 30, 2021 11:53AM
Have him reboot and reattempt to connect before trying a new user account.

It is what it is.
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: August 30, 2021 12:28PM
I am the least expert person here on this topic. Try forgetting network and trying to log in again? Worked for me once on a school network.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Posted by: mikebw
Date: August 30, 2021 12:51PM
Another idea is to delete the Wi-Fi service in the Network System Preferences (by clicking the minus button at the bottom of the list), then add a new instance of it.
Date: August 30, 2021 02:03PM
He worked with IT support for 3 hrs and just went into to the on campus apple store and they are at a loss too?

I'd be curious to find out if any of our suggestions works. I would imagine the IT person and the Apple Genius should have tried these basic troubleshooting methods.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: August 30, 2021 02:27PM
My guess is something in the Network system pref under Advanced is whacked. There are a lot of things in there so creating a new user and comparing might be easiest.

space-time
He worked with IT support for 3 hrs and just went into to the on campus apple store and they are at a loss too?

I'd be curious to find out if any of our suggestions works. I would imagine the IT person and the Apple Genius should have tried these basic troubleshooting methods.

They should have but you never know.

Posted by: JoeH
Date: August 30, 2021 03:12PM
space-time

Depends what the school has available for IT support. Where I worked the first line of support was student employees, many did not know that much more than other students. They also did not have full access to the troubleshooting tools on the campus network, that was limited to the few full time staff.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: August 30, 2021 05:43PM
Hard to say without hands-on...

Another thing to try:

Locate the saved PW for the network in Keychain Access (if it's there) and delete the keychain-entry for it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/2021 05:44PM by Sarcany.
Date: August 30, 2021 05:52PM
is there a "captive portal" where students need to enter info (student ID, password, for example). Maybe that pop-up window is blocked some reason.

Funny fact: When we travel abroad, they nuke and pave a new MacBook. we are not allowed to travel with our work laptops (and are discouraged from bringing along personal laptops).

so I check in into a Marriot abroad and I could not log in to WiFi. Phone worked fine, Laptop no luck. Coworkers had no issue. Took me a solid 15-20 min, it said I was connected but nothing worked. WTF???

I finally went to Marriot.com (why didn't I do that earlier? facepalm ) and it said "Welcome Back, John". What happened was a few weeks earlier, another co-worker used the same machine. Marriot remembered the MAC address and assumed it was the same person. After I saw that message, internet worked fine.

Since this is a new machine, that is not the case here, but something similar could be the problem. A Captive portal or something.
Posted by: sekker
Date: August 30, 2021 08:12PM
Easiest 'positive control' is to use his iPhone as a 'wifi hotspot' to show the Mac can connect to the internet via wifi.

The rest of the issues, if they remain, will likely be due to internet security protocols as the school.

At my place of work, they have found a way to block work-managed computers from connecting to the 'guest' network. This is an active process; the same computers will connect fine to my personal hotspot from my iPhone.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: August 30, 2021 10:43PM
Those of us that went to college w/ a slide rule as their "computer" are in awe of the power that the kids of today have at their disposal.
What are these "wifi" and "internet" things of which thee speaks?
Apple does not make laptop computers and phones, they make vinyl records for the Beatles.
BTW, M1's are what our soldiers used in WWII, Korea, and use in Vietnam.
old fogey smiley facepalm nono smiley

Good luck, hope the kid figures it out. When Baby Buzz did the college thing awhile back, his MBA had the same problem w/ the dorm wifi, so we installed a Bozo no-no wifi router to one of the suite's ethernet ports, which also made hooking up his Brother B&W laser printer much easier to share w/ his roomies and guests. I don't recall his final resolution, but will track him down and update.
==
Posted by: Buzz
Date: August 30, 2021 11:20PM
Update: Kid said campus wifi was flaky, so he used a wifi dongle which worked slightly better; but it's been several years, so I would hope campus wifi's have been more improved in the interim. Maybe try a wifi dongle, if there is such a thing for an M1, and that might provide a point of reference as to what sort of connectivity works... again, good luck.
==
Posted by: JPK
Date: August 31, 2021 07:17AM
Thanks,

I am gonna talk with him this morning and try of few of these suggestions. The IT people have instructed him to do a back up as they want to nuke & repave and try again.

JPK
Posted by: wowzer
Date: August 31, 2021 07:55AM
In my experience, most 'IT' aint worth squat.

[howchoo.com]

or

[www.lifewire.com]

All I ever really needed to know, I learned from watching Star Trek.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/2021 07:57AM by wowzer.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: August 31, 2021 01:02PM
Since it's under Apple Care, I'd let them deal with the problem.

Get a replacement or something.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 99
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020