Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
1971 Lineup of Color Made History
Posted by: Fritz
Date: August 30, 2021 10:03AM
[www.nytimes.com]

apparently, reader mode will get you in.
or bypass paywalls plug in
[github.com]

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: 1971 Lineup of Color Made History
Posted by: robfilms
Date: August 30, 2021 11:06AM
fifty years ago.

so much has changed, while there is still so much that needs to change.

pretty wild.

thanks for the sharing.

we are family!

stay well.

rob

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/2021 11:06AM by robfilms.
Posted by: vision63
Date: August 30, 2021 12:24PM
robfilms
fifty years ago.

pretty wild.

thanks for the sharing.

we are family!

stay well.

rob

Black kids much prefer basketball and football over baseball unfortunately.

The small school movements are also decimating High School league sports in the traditional inner city core. They often can't even field teams for lack of athletes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/2021 12:28PM by vision63.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: August 30, 2021 02:30PM
Seven of the nine usual starters of the AL leading Tampa Bay Rays are from overseas - Dominican Republic, Cuba, and South Korea.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: August 30, 2021 02:35PM
vision63
robfilms
fifty years ago.

pretty wild.

thanks for the sharing.

we are family!

stay well.

rob

The small school movements are also decimating High School league sports in the traditional inner city core. They often can't even field teams for lack of athletes.
Heard this story just last week.

[amp-wbur-org.cdn.ampproject.org]
Date: August 30, 2021 04:38PM
mrbigstuff
vision63
robfilms
fifty years ago.

pretty wild.

thanks for the sharing.

we are family!

stay well.

rob

Heard this story just last week.

[amp-wbur-org.cdn.ampproject.org]

Yep, I could have written that story.

When I was a kid, we played baseball all the time. All we needed was space. In my nearby surroundings (South Los Angeles) we had parks that were fountains for baseball talent. On my brother's High School team (he was the catcher), both Eddie Murray and Ozzie Smith was on the same team. They all played little league at the nearby parks.

The baseball fields are still there, but now there are kids playing soccer on them. But you can't hardly get next at the basketball courts in the same parks.

I remember a long time ago, a Tennis official said that he believes the best tennis players don't even play tennis. They're NBA point guards.

Tony Gwynn chose baseball over basketball even though he was practically forced to play basketball. He was only offered scholarships for basketball (which he was outstanding at). He chose San Diego State (also Fullerton) because it was the only school that would allow him to play both sports.

I definitely want to see more Black American guys play baseball.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: August 30, 2021 05:41PM
Baseball is on cable. I know personally I have no interest in a sport I cannot watch unless I pay for cable and then extra on top of that for the Orioles channel. NFL: free. NCAA sports: free. Big Ten sports: free.
I can watch more Premier League football matches than I can baseball games. Which suits me fine these days.

What kid is going to get interested in a sport they can't watch? They even keep some of the playoff games exclusive to cable. I wrote MLB off a couple of years ago, and so has a large portion of this country. MLB is committing suicide and don't even know it.

Date: August 30, 2021 06:00PM
$tevie
Baseball is on cable. I know personally I have no interest in a sport I cannot watch unless I pay for cable and then extra on top of that for the Orioles channel. NFL: free. NCAA sports: free. Big Ten sports: free.
I can watch more Premier League football matches than I can baseball games. Which suits me fine these days.

What kid is going to get interested in a sport they can't watch? They even keep some of the playoff games exclusive to cable. I wrote MLB off a couple of years ago, and so has a large portion of this country. MLB is committing suicide and don't even know it.

Good points. I recall watching Red Sox games with my grandfather on UHF.
Date: August 30, 2021 07:47PM
mrbigstuff
$tevie

Good points. I recall watching Red Sox games with my grandfather on UHF.

Every game used to be on free tv. It's still the best sport though.
Date: August 31, 2021 01:34AM
I grew up in a baseball family. We watched all the games and when the home games were blacked out we listened on the radio. I still go to games when visiting family who have a home team. Because it is a wonderful game and so much fun to see in a park.

But I knew what our players looked like and how they moved when batting or making a play, and we imitated them in our backyard playing with a few friends and imaginary runners. It’s hard to be fond of players who at best are seen in a few seconds on the sports segment of local news. You can’t imitate what you never see. There’s nothing tangible to fall in love with.

Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: August 31, 2021 12:44PM
$tevie

That is a damn good point. Baseball would be on in the house if OTA stations carried more than a smidgen of games. We don't get cable, kids don't get baseball, kids aren't interested in baseball, bye-bye fan base.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: September 01, 2021 12:23PM
Most homes now have cable, that isn't the issue for kids - the issue is baseball is not a fast-paced, violent sport; it is a game of strategy and skill. Today's kids do not have the patience for it.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Date: September 01, 2021 01:03PM
Ombligo
Most homes now have cable, that isn't the issue for kids - the issue is baseball is not a fast-paced, violent sport; it is a game of strategy and skill. Today's kids do not have the patience for it.

That last sentence may well be true, but it costs at least $100/mo *extra* on top of a typical $100 per month cable bill for me to watch baseball. I don't buy it.
Date: September 02, 2021 12:33AM
Ombligo
Less than 50% of homes have cable.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 96
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020