Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Iconic portion of HWY 50 above Lake Tahoe is on fire
Posted by: hal
Date: August 30, 2021 08:00PM
[twitter.com]

A breathtaking bit of video. I heard someone explaining that all the granite up there wouldn't stop a fire - only slow it down a little. My god, she is right. She showed this very bit of road and pointed out all the stuff that could burn just yesterday. And here it is today, burning. so sad...

This view in the video would usually show the gigantic, beautiful Lake Tahoe below...
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Iconic portion of HWY 50 above Lake Tahoe is on fire
Posted by: vision63
Date: August 30, 2021 08:35PM
The roads out of town are gridlocked. Imagine the scope of what could happen?

Posted by: Marc Anthony
Date: August 30, 2021 09:21PM
The horror.

Le poète doit vivre beaucoup, vivre dans tous les sens. - Verlaine
Posted by: fmgtech
Date: August 30, 2021 09:21PM
I used to live in Lake Tahoe and the only road in and out is Highway 50.
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: August 30, 2021 09:35PM
It is now burning on the far west edge of the Basin in an area called Christmas Valley. The main fire had nothing to burn across most of the granite mountains above the tree line, but raced up the valley and trees at highway 50. The huge amount of embers traveled downwind to the basin, sparking spot fires, where the fire couldn't run downhill on granite.
The traffic cameras show that the traffic has subsided, and looks deserted, so the over 20,000 residents got out.
Sierra at Tahoe ski are and my friends Strawberry General Store survived due to the valiant efforts of the fire fighters. The ski area wisely turned the snowmaking guns toward the lodge to keep it wet.
Kirkwood and Heavenly Ski areas are in the path, but will likely be protected.
Prayers and thoughts for everyone involved.
Here is a great resource for the fires, and normally hiking trails.
[caltopo.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/2021 09:38PM by Ken Sp..
Posted by: lost in space
Date: August 30, 2021 09:41PM
Damn, damn, damn.

Date: August 30, 2021 10:01PM
Markintosh is just north of the lake.
Date: August 30, 2021 10:03PM
Ken Sp.
It is now burning on the far west edge of the Basin in an area called Christmas Valley. The main fire had nothing to burn across most of the granite mountains above the tree line, but raced up the valley and trees at highway 50. The huge amount of embers traveled downwind to the basin, sparking spot fires, where the fire couldn't run downhill on granite.
The traffic cameras show that the traffic has subsided, and looks deserted, so the over 20,000 residents got out.
Sierra at Tahoe ski are and my friends Strawberry General Store survived due to the valiant efforts of the fire fighters. The ski area wisely turned the snowmaking guns toward the lodge to keep it wet.
[caltopo.com]

Good link. I had a trip planned the week after Labor Day. These fires are just so crushing.
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: August 31, 2021 06:15AM
vision63
Ken Sp.
[caltopo.com]

Good link. I had a trip planned the week after Labor Day. These fires are just so crushing.

FYI-All National Forests are closed until Sep17. [www.fs.usda.gov]
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: August 31, 2021 07:48AM
fmgtech
I used to live in Lake Tahoe and the only road in and out is Highway 50.

Flew into Reno and drove to Incline Village for a wedding.

Never came close to 50.
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: August 31, 2021 09:54AM
vision63

And sitting reasonably safe at the minute...the Caldor is very unlikely to move this far north, but stranger things have happened this fire season. Taking the Dixie Fire to the north as an example, the fire just keeps circling back through unburned areas and bringing back the threat of fires to communities a second or third time.

We already had the jet crash fire this summer. Yesterday, a structure fire at Donner Lake almost escaped into the forest. Fortunately, in both cases, major fire support was available from nearby larger fires. It's only a matter of time before one of these little fires escapes and becomes a conflagration.

[www.ktvn.com]

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: hal
Date: August 31, 2021 04:04PM
freakin HEROES!!!

Date: August 31, 2021 04:39PM
Markintosh
vision63

And sitting reasonably safe at the minute...the Caldor is very unlikely to move this far north, but stranger things have happened this fire season. Taking the Dixie Fire to the north as an example, the fire just keeps circling back through unburned areas and bringing back the threat of fires to communities a second or third time.

We already had the jet crash fire this summer. Yesterday, a structure fire at Donner Lake almost escaped into the forest. Fortunately, in both cases, major fire support was available from nearby larger fires. It's only a matter of time before one of these little fires escapes and becomes a conflagration.

[www.ktvn.com]

I know it's distressing. You know intimately exactly what we're losing.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 88
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020